Run sources through AVR or TV?

S

speedknot

Enthusiast
Considering a new AVR with HDMI pass through. Assume that I will connect all the sources through the ARV. Since I wont be turning on the receiver every time the TV is on, how would you switch between inputs such as the xbox or the DVD player? Do I have to use the reciever remote to switch to the DVD player as opposed to the TV remote?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some (maybe most now) have a pass thru feature to accommodate the using TV for audio thing with the avr off (or rather standby), altho I don't know why anyone wants to listen thru tv speakers in general compared to a good audio system, especially for other than maybe watching the news...but definitely not for dvd or even games, maybe the cable box. I think most that I've seen with this feature do ask you to specify a particular input up front....

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Welcome to the forum speedknot,

As a married guy with three Home Theater setups (yes I know I'm crazy), it was crucial for my wife not to have to turn on anything other than push one button for both the Cable Box & TV. She doesn't like "surround sound" o_O but I feel quite differently as you can probably tell.

Most AVRs these days (including my Sonys & Denons - we have 4th HT setup with a Sony Receiver at the cabin) have an HDMI pass through function, when set up correctly, it automatically passes through on the last source the AVR was used on.

However, some AVRs (although none of mine that I remember) will also allow you to set the default for HDMI pass through. So each time the AVR is turned off, it would go to back to whatever you set it to - regardless what you were playing before you shut it down.

I hope this is helpful.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
since you will be connecting everything to the avr, you will need to use the remote of it to switch sources.

I'm lost when you will not be turning on the avr every time you turn on the tv. if all sources will be through the avr the tv will be on the same amount of times the avr.

unless, you have an antenna in your attic and it goes directly to your tv for local channels. use the source button on the tv remote to switch from antenna or avr.

S

speedknot

Enthusiast
Jim... My situation is similar to yours where my wife and kids are not going to bother to turn on the AVR for anything. I'm trying to avoid the complaints over why they have to use another remote to switch sources for he kids to watch a DVD or play Xbox. Right now they just use the cable box remote. Anything beyond using that ONE remote is going to be a fight. lol

So bottom line is that if I run everything through the AVR, theyre going to have to use the AVR remote to switch sources?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Through the avr. I guess they used to use the source remote and the tv remote, now it would be the same source remotes and the avr remote. Easy to put tv on/off on most if not all avr remotes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Seriously, get a good universal remote and spend a day programming it. Harmony remotes are well worth the money. ALWAYS use your surround system, never use the TV speakers. That's why you spent that money in the first place.

We do this throughout my home and my wife and kids never question how to use anything. They just press 'cable' or 'ps4' and they are good to go.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep a universal remote with easy to use macros is a great way to go.....

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I absolutely despise tv speakers... If you go with a universal remote, program it to always turn on the TV and AVR together. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I absolutely despise tv speakers... If you go with a universal remote, program it to always turn on the TV and AVR together. :)
That’s what I did. Even my 11 year old twins can turn on my system with one button push. Of course they never get the remote! Mine...mine...mine.....
Besides, even the news, and wheel of fortune sound better with the system on.
I just sold my Onkyo receiver to help pay for my new one. For the first time in umpteen years my panny plasma speakers have made sound.
Barf..... reminded me of why I have a rule about listening to music through cell phones in my house.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Seriously, get a good universal remote and spend a day programming it. Harmony remotes are well worth the money. ALWAYS use your surround system, never use the TV speakers. That's why you spent that money in the first place.

We do this throughout my home and my wife and kids never question how to use anything. They just press 'cable' or 'ps4' and they are good to go.
This is the reason I bought my first Harmony remote (with RF, always) in 2006. The RF (radio frequency) control is great as no one has to point the remote at the devices during startup, which for me can take up to a minute to complete for my devices.

Along with "Quick Select" buttons on the Denon AVR I get around some limitations with the Harmony 900 remote.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Jim... My situation is similar to yours where my wife and kids are not going to bother to turn on the AVR for anything. I'm trying to avoid the complaints over why they have to use another remote to switch sources for he kids to watch a DVD or play Xbox. Right now they just use the cable box remote. Anything beyond using that ONE remote is going to be a fight. lol

So bottom line is that if I run everything through the AVR, theyre going to have to use the AVR remote to switch sources?
Seems like the gang here isn't getting it speedknot. Sorry...

NO, your family doesn't have to use anything more than the Cable Box remote they now use. As you say, your family can't be bothered with all this, and I get it. But keeping it simple just puts the onus on you, as you will be the only one using the AVR. Everytime you go to turn it off you'd just have to remember to switch it back to the Cable Box input. (Or find a receiver where you can set the default and let it switch it for you.)

Here's another method but it depends on the TV inputs you have & your Cable Box outputs. My Cable Boxes have Component outputs (in addition to HDMI => and both outputs are active all the time) as does one of our TVs. I connect these to the TV as well. I did the same for a BluRay Player, but players with component outputs are pretty rare these days. (Most just come with HDMI only.) I have trained my wife to check that as the input in case I forget to switch it back for her o_O . My son can connect his own games to the HDMI input on the side when he wants to play something. He's bright enough to usually dumb it down for my wife as needed.

I hope this is helpful.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Seems like the gang here isn't getting it speedknot. Sorry...
The problem is that he wants his family to be able to use any source in their lineup, at any time. Not just cable TV. So, gaming, and possibly streaming apps, etc. So, he can't just switch it back to cable. I know with Denon you don't even have to remember. You can just set the receiver to default a specific source to passthru when the receiver is off.

But, that won't give them access to the other sources. Which is why a universal remote makes the most sense in this instance.

Not only that, the entire purpose of using good speakers in you get better clarity at lower volumes so instead of a shrill tiny TV speaker, you get clear audio from proper drivers at lower volume. It enhances everything from news broadcasts and YouTube videos to Blu-ray Disc and HD gaming.

It is possible to plug everything into the TV and just use optical audio output, but then you lose your HD audio formats.

Literally, a A/V receiver is ONE more button to press. Turn on source, turn on TV, turn on A/V receiver. You either have to switch the TV or you have to switch the A/V receiver to the proper source. It's not that complex, but it is so easy for a universal remote control to handle. Press ONE button instead of 3 (or 4) and you are there.

More importantly, it actually solves the full scope of the request which was made by giving the entire family full access to all the sources which are available to the room and keeping is simple to operate.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis