RTI10's sound shrill

F

Fried Chicken

Audioholic
I have my RTI10's, and they're great, except certain songs (phil collins - in the air tonight) produce this incredibly shrill sound.

I use the following setup: [spotify or itunes] --Airplay--> appletv --HDMI--> yamaha rx-a810 in "pure-direct" mode --coax--> yamaha M-65 --copper--> RTI10.

Is this just par for the course for the speakers, or is there potentially something wrong here?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Hmm, so from two different digital platforms you have the same issue? Do you have any other way to play this song on your system? Can you plug headphones into the system and listen on there to see if you hear something similar?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If you have a CD version of the stuff on those platforms try to compare. Could be a settings thing on those platforms as well.

F

Fried Chicken

Audioholic
Validating the problem is, in fact, from the speakers is a good idea.

I could always burn a CD and stick it in the blu-ray player, as well as hooking up headphones with the existing setup. I will give that a shot.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When you can isolate it to a particular song, it usually is not the speakers. I actually just purchased that track on Amazon music HD a few weeks back because it bugged me that I did not own it lol. I never noticed any shrillness, but I have not listened to it on the main rig, though I am guessing it could be a compression setting on those services? What format/resolution are you listening at?

F

Fried Chicken

Audioholic
When you can isolate it to a particular song, it usually is not the speakers. I actually just purchased that track on Amazon music HD a few weeks back because it bugged me that I did not own it lol. I never noticed any shrillness, but I have not listened to it on the main rig, though I am guessing it could be a compression setting on those services? What format/resolution are you listening at?
For that song Spotify at max settings and full dynamic range:

I only used it as an example though, I think it’s across multiple songs that I get this resonant shrill. I suspect it could also be the room.

Although now i’m listening to it on my computer and maybe you’re right, the song is shrill.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
That line of Polk speaker are a very old line. Much older the the RTi line

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
RTiA line were a tad softer, the RTi line were on the bright side. So when you have a track that has a hot top end, it will be evident on them and any other speakers that lean toward bright highs I would guess.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was sure I had a digital copy of this but seems I only have my old vinyl album. I kinda remember some shrillness in vocals on this record, tho I didn't go pull out the vinyl to check. Listening to this on Spotify (the 2015 remastered version) it does have a bit of an edge to it.....found some comments on gearslutz on this one https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/84949-quot-air-tonight-quot-vocal-sound.html

F

Fried Chicken

Audioholic
Is it the 2015 remastered track or original?
The one I linked, the 2015 remaster.

I guess it makes sense if the speakers are inherently bright that such a song would amplify that effect.
I did only give it as an example though, this shrillness appears in other songs though not as pronounced.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
RTiA line were a tad softer, the RTi line were on the bright side. So when you have a track that has a hot top end, it will be evident on them and any other speakers that lean toward bright highs I would guess.
RTi line are good with HI-Res instrumental or soft Jazz, think Diana Krall or umm Sade, Older rock say umm like Pink Floyd. But yeah like, say umm Rush 2112, that band has a hot top end recordings not all of their tunes but mostly. But the RTi line has a good tonal balance. I could good on about the RTi line but whats the point, I believe that line has been beat to death already with Pro reviews and other online reviews some would say they have a "House Sound" what ever that means :rolleyes:.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis