Round VS. Rectangular

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
I sell home theater, and from time to time people come in looking for in-wall speakers. *On a side note: People have come in looking for speakers to put in their ceiling and I point them to the in-wall speakers. They then proceed to tell me, "No, I need in-<i>ceiling</i> speakers." :rolleyes: * /Side note

We offer two types of rectangular speakers, and 3 types of round ones. Why is it that people only want to put ROUND speakers in their ceiling? Is it some kind of audio faux pas to put rectangular speakers in your ceiling?! I had never even thought twice about this until I had someone return speakers because the installer told them to put round speakers in the ceiling instead. I think this is beyond retardation that it matters what ******* shape your speakers are when you put them in the wall...

Am I missing something?

~Chuck

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
you might be. I considered ceiling speakers myself. round. why round? because all my other lights are round. so, looking up ... i would want to see ... round light, round light, round speaker. :)

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
I suppose. I have never had in-wall speakers in my house before so I can't really say what I would prefer. I just couldn't believe that it made a difference to people what shape they were. I guess it is just humanity's fetish with symmetry. :D

~Chuck

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
but if I really would put them in-wall ... it would be rectangular pic frame, rectangular windows ... rectangular speaker!

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
I guess I am just nuts... I just have never thought about it before so it came as kind of a shock for me! :D

~Chuck

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I thought the in wall speakers were supposed to be kept vertical, while the round ones horizontal.

All speakers for Ceiling are round, as speakers for wall are rectangular.

SheepStar

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
Sheep said:
I thought the in wall speakers were supposed to be kept vertical, while the round ones horizontal.

SheepStar

They all install the same... I've seen both round and rectangular in the ceiling, but I don't think I've ever seen round in the wall. However, I have not seen all that many in-wall/ceiling set-ups.

~Chuck

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Having curved contours reduces the "boxiness" of box speakers.:D

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
furrycute said:
Having curved contours reduces the "boxiness" of box speakers.:D
Sounds like something you'd tell a skeptical wife. :)

~Chuck

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sheep said:

SheepStar
Not exactly. Typically in-ceiling speakers are deeper and are usually round but not always. In-wall speakers are usually less than 3 1/2 inches deep so they will fit the depth of a wall which is usually the depth of a 2x4 plus the drywall. Most rectangular speakers have the tweeters next to the driver while round ones can have the tweeter in front of the driver. But Mike C's logic is spot on. For back ground music round is the typical installation in the ceiling but for HT many consider rectangular. Plus round are easier to line up with the lines in the ceiling. ;)

D

dcb1248

Audiophyte
rectangular

We have rectangular in five rooms. four ceiling and one in wall. Makes no difference. Also once painted even less noticable. Quality is the only difference.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis