Rotel A14 Integrated Amp for a 7.0 Set Up

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
Dear Team
I have the current set up
B&W 603s 2019 model & HTM 6 for LCR (for 603s recommended amplifier power between 30w – 200w )
Polk OWM3 for Front Height
Bose 301 for Rear Surround & No Sub
Connected to Yamaha A 870 - 7.2 amp
I am more into movies and am getting a good deal on a new Rotel A 14 Integrated Amp ( 80 W @ 8 Ohms)
The Amp has multiple inputs and outputs to 2 Speakers ( which i want to connect to the B&W Left and Right Speakers for movies with HTM 6 as centre taking the feed from the Yamaha)
I was wondering how i can connect the Yamaha Pre Out for Left & Right Sepeakers to the Rotel A 14 and completely confused.
The end state would be for me to get the L&R from the Rotel and the Other Channels Centre / Surrounds / FH from the Yamaha

Can you pls advise whether this is possible as I have my heart set on a Rotel but not sure whether this is the right one.
The other choice as the power amp was the Crown XLS 1502 which is in budget.

Thanks

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would you want to use an integrated amp like that? Especially one of no more power than your avr has? This amp really has no suitable input for use as a power amp, altho you could just use one of the line level inputs (i.e. other than the phono input). If you want a power amp, get the Crown. Rather than an amp why not get a sub instead?

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
Why would you want to use an integrated amp like that? Especially one of no more power than your avr has? This amp really has no suitable input for use as a power amp, altho you could just use one of the line level inputs (i.e. other than the phono input). If you want a power amp, get the Crown. Rather than an amp why not get a sub instead?
Hi - Cant get the sub due to restrictions of where I am living and also wife not for it.
This amp really has no suitable input for use as a power amp- Ok Thank you. I Understand this .
I think the Crown is the best alternative. The Rotel n NAD power amps are way too expensive and might not make sense for my listening area.
Really appreciate the quick, honest and logical response for all our queries.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi - Cant get the sub due to restrictions of where I am living and also wife not for it.
This amp really has no suitable input for use as a power amp- Ok Thank you. I Understand this .
I think the Crown is the best alternative. The Rotel n NAD power amps are way too expensive and might not make sense for my listening area.
Really appreciate the quick, honest and logical response for all our queries.
You can get a power amp but not a sub? You sure you need an amp?

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
You can get a power amp but not a sub? You sure you need an amp?
To be honest i have not yet told her on the power amp :) but will seek forgiveness later on.
I am hoping that with the power amp the movie experience improves.
The low frequency of the Sub , the thump and Bass is a problem with my Mrs.
If the power amp is not going to improve the movies experience i might as well save money and enjoy what I have.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
A Crown XLS 1002 external power amp for the front left and right channels would be powerful enough for driving the 603s. It might be a good solution to relieve the Yamaha A-870 of heavier power demands with movie soundtracks. The B & W 603s have an impedance that digs down to 3 ohms at low frequencies and the Yamaha AVR might go into protection mode when watching movies at higher SPL.

It all depends on the size of your listening room, your sitting distance from the main front speakers, and how loud you listen to your HT system. One channel of a second XLS 1002 could then be added a little later for the center channel, which most of the time requires more power than the L & R channels.

Last edited:
R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
A Crown XLS 1002 external power amp for the front left and right channels would be powerful enough for driving the 603s. It might be a good solution to relieve the Yamaha A-870 of heavier power demands with movie soundtracks. The B & W 603s have an impedance that digs down to 3 ohms at low frequencies and the Yamaha AVR might go into protection mode when watching movies at higher SPL.

It all depends on the size of your listening room, your sitting distance from the main front speakers, and how loud you listen to your HT system. One channel of a second XLS 1002 could then be added a little later for the center channel, which most of the time requires more power than the L & R channels.
Thank you Both. This makes perfect sense as I see Crown as the best solution currently. Have a great weekend.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you Both. This makes perfect sense as I see Crown as the best solution currently. Have a great weekend.
One note about your A-870, make sure you set the impedance selector switch at the back to 8 ohms. Putting it to 4 ohms as some will suggest to you including the manufacturer, based on B & W weird impedance curves that would reduce the available power output to your speakers.
Here is a good explanation from Audioholics on this topic:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis