Rotel 970 BX power am x2 vs outlaw monoblocks

G

Gil_Pena

Enthusiast
Which one would you guys say I should go for? They're about the same price used or around. I have a Rotel ra 970bx integrated amplifier at the moment but wanting to go separates. Definitely want to take the monoblock route when I can but our power amps the same as monoblocks? If they can be bridged

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Since you've more than likely done some research, with today's amp/amps, outside of Monoblock Amp having a power supply for each speaker, to drive LCR which would be the only logical reason for monoblocks to be used. Speaking of myself. I highly doubt one would be able to distinguish sound quality between a Monoblock and a two channel or multi-channel Amp of Equal quality at moderate to reference level volumes.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If expecting a difference in SQ, not likely. It's nice having a dedicated power supply for each Speaker in the Amp may otherwise be challenged by your Speaker's load.
That said, I'm switching to Hypex slowly but surely. No difference noticeable between my old Outlaw 2200s and the NC400s, though I've a little more available power per channel now. Mind, I wasn't lacking before. ;)

G

Gil_Pena

Enthusiast
Ia
Since you've more than likely done some research, with today's amp/amps, outside of Monoblock Amp having a power supply for each speaker, to drive LCR which would be the only logical reason for monoblocks to be used. Speaking of myself. I highly doubt one would be able to distinguish sound quality between a Monoblock and a two channel or multi-channel Amp of Equal quality at moderate to reference level volumes.
Is lcr the new way of things? I'm used to stereo

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Rotel RB 1070 twin channel mono-bloc can be bridged to produce a massive 330 watts per unit. I,ve had this set-up for something like 20 years. There as good today as the day they where first plugged in. Will run a 2 ohm load without any problems.

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Ia

Is lcr the new way of things? I'm used to stereo
For AVR use, that's why I stated "speaking for myself. Yeah, I could see myself with 3 Monoblock's for LCR. Even for a dedicated two channel setup. I've owned Monoblock's in my day's gone by. ryanosaur has Monoblock amps, as many do use them in dedicated two channel and multi channel setups. I've never "bridged" any Amp never needed to. I believe a bridged Amp will lower the damping factor by half, less control over your drivers and Increase heat. But that can all be subjective depending on how loud you listen.

G

Gil_Pena

Enthusiast
Very cool I think I'll stick with rotel. Definitely for sure going to run a crown amplifier for the sub, subs eventually. Probably a 2502 I'm thinking if I can afford it if not it will 1000 or 1,002. Yeah I really like my 970 with a sub of course.

I'm thinking I'll get all this upgraded first and then treat myself to a new speaker other than the Sony SSC S5 that I have now. That's just kind of the way I suppose. I know I should probably upgrade them first but OCD or something with Goofy stuff like this. Love music though!

G

Gil_Pena

Enthusiast
For AVR use, that's why I stated "speaking for myself. Yeah, I could see myself with 3 Monoblock's for LCR. Even for a dedicated two channel setup. I've owned Monoblock's in my day's gone by. ryanosaur has Monoblock amps, as many do use them in dedicated two channel and multi channel setups. I've never "bridged" any Amp never needed to. I believe a bridged Amp will lower the damping factor by half, less control over your drivers and Increase heat. But that can all be subjective depending on how loud you listen.
That is something to think about. The 970s are power amps but canby bridge and was thinking about getting two of them. But also looking for the best music quality.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is your 970 a power amp or integrated amp (i.e. is it an RB970BX or an RA970BX?). You've used both descriptions but the model number you used is that of an integrated amp. The outlaws would be power amps. Monoblocks have no particular advantage in general but generally increase expense due to duplication of materials.

Before worrying about amps in any case, I'd work on speakers first....

G

Gil_Pena

Enthusiast
I k
17208720644151678402956828962670.jpg
now I know. LOL just being difficult. I have the ra.

G

Gil_Pena

Enthusiast
I also got a bootleg d10 which is great surprisingly. Probably upgrade that the last. A Sony SW or wm40? Empowered subwoofer converted to a passive subwoofer with a little bitty amp on it right now. This app is pretty good actually though. Listening to an A to b comparison with the Rotel it's surprising just not very 3D on the soundstage. Not that the Rotel is but it has a sound stage. But very clear. And that's a technique CD player need to get it maintenance stuff but it works. He just needs a cleaning and need to get in there and make sure everything's aligned. It suffered an assault for my cat. Love music even though my wallet suggests otherwise. I've got a Android box that I play kubose through. USB pro audio player of course as well as dsds I download. I'm going to get some pics

Attachments

G

Gil_Pena

Enthusiast
My gosh! Sorry about multiples and tacos! Typos I meant!

G

Gil_Pena

Enthusiast
As well as the mess. Will be sophisticated and great someday!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Words escape me. I wouldn't place other components on top of the amp. What is a D-10?

G

Gil_Pena

Enthusiast
Lol. No just a subwoofer with no watts lol. I must be pushing about 30 or 40 Watts with my Wushi! It's a surprisingly pretty clear tho. Okay I'm planning on getting a crown probably soon. I'll be pushing over a thousand soon enough. Yeah I got some work to do as well as cleaning, four cats they knock everything over my gosh!

itschris

itschris

If your looking for massive power... take a look at ADCOM. They're back. I had their monoblocks back in the day and they were beasts. As I'm redefining my own system these past couple months, I'm likely going to go with the ADCOM GFA 585se. 450x2 or 1,000 bridged mono. You can start with one, then get another later if you want to go full beans.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis