J

Jul

Audiophyte
Has anyone connected a digital antenna to a Rotel home theatre? We inherited a Rotel home theatre with our new home purchase. All of our home wiring is in a media rack. Everything was working great when we had cable connected via HDMI, but we have cut the cord with cable and installed a digital antenna. The antenna is connected to our media center splitter and is working everywhere, but to our home theatre, which does not have the standard coaxial input. Question: Are the coaxial inputs (N-type)? Do I simply get a male/female F/N connector?
IMG_3631.jpeg

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Jul,

Please advise the complete make & model numbers for all of the equipment involved. Judging from a small photo, the receiver seems a couple of generations old. What exactly are you trying to do?

More details will get you better responses. Thanks.

(By the way, I'm guessing you need to plug the digital antenna into the TV, then use an HDMI ARC Cable from the TV to the Rotel for multichannel sound. However, the Rotel, and maybe the TV, is of such a vintage they don't have HDMI ARC. It that case you've be limited to Optical sound connections.)

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Has anyone connected a digital antenna to a Rotel home theatre? We inherited a Rotel home theatre with our new home purchase. All of our home wiring is in a media rack. Everything was working great when we had cable connected via HDMI, but we have cut the cord with cable and installed a digital antenna. The antenna is connected to our media center splitter and is working everywhere, but to our home theatre, which does not have the standard coaxial input. Question: Are the coaxial inputs (N-type)? Do I simply get a male/female F/N connector?View attachment 51081
Those digital inputs are for audio only. Your digital antenna is for receiving digital TV broadcasts over the air and must be connected to your TV. Your receiver can not act as a TV tuner. Your TV does that. Note that your TV must be capable of receiving digital over the air broadcasts. Some older TVs only have analogue antenna connections and do not support digital antennas. If a newer TV, it should support digital over the air. Refer to the TV manual or post the make and model number so that we can look it up. You then connect the TV to the receiver either by HDMI or optical cable to get the audio, but there is likely an existing connection already.

J

Jul

Audiophyte
Hi Jul,

Please advise the complete make & model numbers for all of the equipment involved. Judging from a small photo, the receiver seems a couple of generations old. What exactly are you trying to do?

More details will get you better responses. Thanks.

(By the way, I'm guessing you need to plug the digital antenna into the TV, then use an HDMI ARC Cable from the TV to the Rotel for multichannel sound. However, the Rotel, and maybe the TV, is of such a vintage they don't have HDMI ARC. It that case you've be limited to Optical sound connections.)

Thanks for your reply Jim,

I am trying to pull an TV antenna signal into my Rotel system. I'm just not sure if that's possible. I know it pulls a cable signal and my Firestick signal, but we got rid of cable and I want to watch local through my home theatre, so we can watch local football games. The connection needs to be coaxial, not HDMI. It has HDMI, but I don't want to have to pull the signal through a TV. The antenna is coaxial.
My question really is regarding coaxial cables. My Rotel has a female "RCA" coaxial in, but I need a cable that has the F-plug coaxial pin on the other end for my splitter. The Rotel is a RSP 1570 if that makes a difference. So, what I'm really asking is:
1) do these exist?
2) do they work?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Thanks for the info Jul. I understand you are "trying to pull an TV antenna signal into my Rotel system" but what I don't understand why.

The Rotel RSP 1570 is a Surround Sound Processor and lacks any TV Tuner. (See Page 9 of the manual for a diagram to reference) So it would serve no purpose to connect an antenna signal into the Rotel regardless of what cabling you think may work.

Those ""RCA" Coaxial" inputs you mention are for digital sound sources and not for antenna signals. The Tuner button on the front of the Rotel just switch on a stereo pair of RCA audio inputs from the rear panel. (See Page 20 of the manual for reference)

Please advise what Digital Tuner & TV you have (make & model numbers) and what exactly you want your system to do. Then we can save you a lot of effort and we can get this sorted quickly.

I hope this is helpful.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis