M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I opted for the Jriver. 30 day free trial, no card, monthly billing, and I like what I hear SQ wise. I could afford tidal, but $20/mo is pushing it.
Tried Tidal about 6 months ago. I don't really use it enough to justify the expense. Same with Netflix etc.

ETA: Meant to quote Bucknekkid here but had grandkids climbing on me and blew it. lol

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I opted for the Jriver. 30 day free trial, no card, monthly billing, and I like what I hear SQ wise. I could afford tidal, but $20/mo is pushing it.
I agree. 20 bucks a month is more than I will give to Kanye, the piece of shiit whining mutha f. The roon thing is interesting as is Jriver.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I agree. 20 bucks a month is more than I will give to Kanye, the piece of shiit whining mutha f. The roon thing is interesting as is Jriver.
Yes, that occurred to me as well.

Honestly, I am not suffering from sound quality issues. I am enjoying the jriver trial. It's actually quite nice.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I am now a Roon convert. I have built many Vortex boxes over the years and have always been kind of meh with the interface. Functionality has always been stellar and five zones has always been enough for me.

Over the past year I have been hearing folks using their vortex box as a core and then roon as the control software with no loss in functionality unless you are a spotify user. I use if mainly for my own library and internet radio which Roon covers.

Setup was easy and now I am in the trial period at work. So far I really like the interface. All the info about albums and artists is great. All the search choices and explore function are giving me a new view of my collection.

I have learned I can use the same core license in both locations but not at the same time. This is not an issue as I cannot be at work and at home at the same time anyway. :rolleyes:

So I will be spending the $119 and down the road may go to the lifetime.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Kanye is that and maybe he's part of the ownership too, but I was told the artist was JayZ.

That said...I was dead against Roon...JRiver V23 is what I have now.

I did say "was dead against...", I'm circling back to the whole concept of streaming music. I use streaming mostly for whole-house music when we entertain. My laptop w/ a 5TB external harddrive...J River is the interface. SQ is fine for this purpose...my issue is drop outs, especially on longer playlists.

I've tried 3 different ways to connect this.

• Connect to Oppo 205 via wifi...even with 200 down speed, I experience dropouts
  • Connect Laptop to Oppo 205 via USB...fine for MP3, even ripped CDs, not sure how with the settings I have it on, but the Laptop will fall asleep mid playlist...also has problems streaming the bigger SACD files, which might be a USB cable issue I understand.
  • Connect Laptop to pre/pro as a source...Laptop still falls asleep at times.
I'm thinking about the Salk Streamer, the Roon Nucleus Streamer, and Cambridge Audio streamer.

If I make this move, I might go with Roon's control interface, but I'm not there yet. I'm really looking for more stability. This is something I will let marinate a few months.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I started to try the 14 day trial, but it's CC info first, and then they notify you days in advance when your trial will either expire, or continue and bill your card. It's not that I don't trust it's legit, or secure. I just don't agree with a need to have my card info for a trial. I don't care how common a practice this is, but faith goes two ways, even if in just a gestural sense. Call it stubborn, or old fashioned, but the modern electronic business model just tends to rub me the wrong way.
@MrBoat,
We haven't been conversing for a while and it's nice to read you again.

The automatic renewal hassle annoys me too. So, I decided to always use a prepaid credit card on which I only keep a low balance which is insufficient to allow a firm to automatically debit it when the renewal is due. I only reload it with sufficient funds when I purchase something with it so there is less risk for automatic renewal.

I used the known and highly recommended LastPass password manager for a while. That software keeps your passwords in a cloud. Twice, it did not function and I couldn't get access to my passwords, so I uninstalled it and started to use Dashlane which I prefer.

A couple of times, LastPass attempted to debit my card several times although I had notified them that I no longer was using their product. The bastards didn't succeed because I made sure there was never sufficient money to allow the renewal charge.

Cheers,

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Kanye is that and maybe he's part of the ownership too, but I was told the artist was JayZ.

That said...I was dead against Roon...JRiver V23 is what I have now.

I did say "was dead against...", I'm circling back to the whole concept of streaming music. I use streaming mostly for whole-house music when we entertain. My laptop w/ a 5TB external harddrive...J River is the interface. SQ is fine for this purpose...my issue is drop outs, especially on longer playlists.

I've tried 3 different ways to connect this.

• Connect to Oppo 205 via wifi...even with 200 down speed, I experience dropouts
  • Connect Laptop to Oppo 205 via USB...fine for MP3, even ripped CDs, not sure how with the settings I have it on, but the Laptop will fall asleep mid playlist...also has problems streaming the bigger SACD files, which might be a USB cable issue I understand.
  • Connect Laptop to pre/pro as a source...Laptop still falls asleep at times.
I'm thinking about the Salk Streamer, the Roon Nucleus Streamer, and Cambridge Audio streamer.

If I make this move, I might go with Roon's control interface, but I'm not there yet. I'm really looking for more stability. This is something I will let marinate a few months.

Hey 2channel lover. Have you every looked at vortexbox? I never have drop outs and listed all day at work and quite a bit at home. Have a library of over 11,000 songs and even doing a full library shuffle does cause an issue.. It is a linux based OS that is custom just for digital media. It will rip CD's automatically and DVD's as well if you configure it for that. You can have up to 5 zones and if you go to Roon then you are only limited by the number of end points. You can use a laptop for a vortexbox but I have used old small formfactor desktops pulled from use at my office.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey 2channel lover. Have you every looked at vortexbox? I never have drop outs and listed all day at work and quite a bit at home. Have a library of over 11,000 songs and even doing a full library shuffle does cause an issue.. It is a linux based OS that is custom just for digital media. It will rip CD's automatically and DVD's as well if you configure it for that. You can have up to 5 zones and if you go to Roon then you are only limited by the number of end points. You can use a laptop for a vortexbox but I have used old small formfactor desktops pulled from use at my office.
Not familiar, but will check into it...the Linux based OS is similar to the Salk streamer it sounds like and that's the leader in the clubhouse at the moment..

Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis