room size/reciever/speakers

B

BARK

Enthusiast
Hello, Thanks in advance for any feedback! Where to start. I've been looking hard at axioms for my new home theater setup (room 17x17x8 :( less than ideal) the room wizard recommends M60's, vp150, Qs8's and ep500. I'm 50/50 music/home theater. I was thinking of M80's would that be too much speaker for this room? Next, I have a pioneer vsx606s receiver (100w per channel) 5.1 only, velodine servo-f 1000 sub, and 4 KEF q-15 speakers all from 1965-66. I was thinking of upgrading to Yamaha 2500 or denon 3805, anyone have an opinion on these and the axioms's? Or could the old 606 still hang in there? The velodine sub still rocks but I'm sure newer subs have made improvements. Whats making all these decisions even harder I have access to a discount on paradigm studio series, and no way to compare them with each other!!!!! Hard to pass on a discount but I checked out the studio40 series and was not very impressed. I no they are good but thy failed to draw me in, not what I expected. Looking even harder at axiom's now!!! Thanks again. "update" checked out studio 100's last weekend powered by b/k 505 very nice. My decision just got harder!!!! Would the 100's , cc570,2 adp470, and a servo 15 sub be to much for this size room?

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Go with your discount. Paradigm makes a great speaker and they charge for it. Take your time when buying equipment. Try not to buy everything at once. Get the HT speakers first. Then the sub. Then the new receiver. You may be satisfied with the speakers for awhile. Keep in mind Paradigm speakers require quite a bit of power to get them going. The B&K sounded good because it had a lot of clean power. Your run of the mill Pioneer, Yamaha, or even Denon won't have the guts to drive them properly. The 2500 or 3805 (upper end units) would work out much better. Even a top of the line Pioneer Elite would do the trick. You'll spend twice to three times as much for a US or UK receiver with similar power, but some will say the sound is more crisp, more defined. Just remember, the jap models with pre-outs will take a 2 channel U.S. amp to drive your front towers, and the jap pre-amps are pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I would love to have that "tough decision". ;) I'm with Buckeye about the Paradigms depending on wthat your discount is. That Servo 15 is one mean sub and is enough to fill that room up pretty easy. 100's are fantastic speakers that I have heard. I can not compare them to Axioms because I haven't heard them. Buckeye is also right about how power hungry those Paradigms are. (so are the axioms) I've never seen them driven off of less then Anthem seperates, but that B & K amp is one beefy tough guy. I dont think that this setup would be too much for a 17' bt 17' room with 8' ceilings. It will definitely fill the space with sound. I'd suggest you get a Yamaha 2500 and a seperate high quality amp to drive the center and the two fronts. That 570 is a power hungry speaker just like the 100's. The Yamaha can drive those adp's no prob so no seperate amp needed for them. Also you could look into seperates. You could get an outlaw preamp and a 7 channel 200w amplifier for 3K that will blow your socks off.

Where I disagree with Buckeye is that I think you should buy as many components at once as you can. If you can get it all at once then you can integrate everything at once then your system is setup and ready to go. This lets you know what your into right away, and avoids having to recalibrate everything anytime you add new speakers. That is just my opinion though. Good luck on your purchase, I think you'll be happy whichever way you go, seems like you did your research and came up with some top notch gear to choose from.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Takeereasy said:
I think you should buy as many components at once as you can. If you can get it all at once then you can integrate everything at once then your system is setup and ready to go.
Buying everything at one time has a $ advantage. The more you buy at one time from the fewest number of vendors (one vendor if possible), the greater the potential discounts and benefits.

B

BARK

Enthusiast
Thanks to everone that replyed. I'm leaning real hard towards the paradigm's and b/k 507, the combo do's alot of things right! but now you have me thinking about seperates. Think i will check out the outlaw ect.... (but wait theres more;) that yamaha rx-v4600 is coming out soon I hear....will post later, thanks again for your posts.

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
It's hard to go wrong with B&K. They sound wonderful and have excellent build quality. I have an old ST-202 Plus amp that has been chugging along for years and years and never quits (and it's driving some old, inefficient Magnepan speakers).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis