F

fyrmedic01@hotm

Junior Audioholic
I have read on various speaker manufacture web sites..."good for med size room" ect...so what are the forums views on room size.

what size would be a small, med, and large size room?

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
When is a car considered to be "fast"?

When is a woman considered "busty".

The answers to the above questions would be as varied as to the answers regarding room size.

One thing to remember, the size of the room is not just the square footage, but the also the cubic volume of the room (LxWxH).

On the B&W and Axiom websites there is a speaker suggesting software that recommends speakers based upon room size.

My thoughts regarding room size:

(assuming 8 ft ceilings, solid construction, self contained room with closing doorways)

Small Any room under 2000 cu ft (approximately 15x18x8)

Medium Any room from 2000 to 5000 cu ft (approximately 15x18x8 to approximately 20x30x8 or 18x28x10)

Large: Any room greater than 5000 cu ft.

Very Large: any room greater than 10000 cu ft (24x40x10)

Obviously, each of us will have a difference of opinion as to what small-medium-large really is considered.

I suspect speaker companies would be the same way. More importantly, British companies, due to the typically small home size in the UK, would be more inclined to rate the room size much different than an US based company.

PS: Don't forget, the accoustics of the room are just as important.

Big, heavy, overstuff furniture in a room with a thick carpet and pad = a dead room.

versus

No drapes, a wall of glass windows, no carpet, wood furniture = a lively room.

The dead room will require more power to generate the same sound volume as the lively room.

F

fyrmedic01@hotm

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the info...It at least gives me a starting point:)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Are you thinking of building a dedicated room? That's the BEST. If you can, spend as much as your budget will (smartly) allow for. Getting the room right is more than half of a great listening experience. Hell if you can go for it, do it Harmon Listening Lab style...floating floors, super-thick walls, etc.

F

fyrmedic01@hotm

Junior Audioholic
no no just taking a look at my setup and potential setup...learning and much as I can from these forums..I have already gotten better sound from my HT. from advise here and am looking to make it better:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis