Room setup questions with ceiling impedement

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Hello All,

Thanks in advance for your help on this. I have an unfinished basement in which a portion is becoming my man cave/HT room. Dimensions of the room are 20x16x8.5. For the most part it is square, except the rear right part of the room has bookshelf area (needed to be built out because of water heater and ductwork). this area is maybe 2x4x5. If I install rear dipoles, will this make much of a difference? Also, these rears will be roughly 11 feet behind the seating area. Would it be worth it to have these speakers?

I did all the wiring for this already as the sheetrock is not up yet. I set up 6 channels for fronts surrounds rears, and 4 height or atmos speakers, and this is my next issue. Roughly 9.5 feet from the viewing area there is a wooden support beam that runs parallel to the TV. I have the SVS Prime elevation and I am wondering how the rear atmos speakers would sound as they will not be behind the viewer all that much. My thought was to mount the front atmos up near the ceiling, but in many of the diagrams of speaker placement that I see, people have the speakers mounted a few feet in front of the viewer. I'd rather not have these speakers just hanging from the ceiling like that if they were to be closer to the seating area.

Side question, is there a website I can use to show the layout of my room and maybe it will make my questions easier to understand.

I'll try and attach some photos of the room later if I can.

Thanks

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Update, tried to upload photos, said they were too large for the server. I guess I'm mostly curious if atmos speakers should be installed on tv wall facing viewers, or on side walls facing ears, or on ceiling closer to viewer. I prefer along side a wall, either TV wall or side walls.

E

Ed Mullen

Manufacturer
You can contact SVS CS with the diagram, layout and images and we'll advise on the best location to mount the Prime Elevation speakers in accordance with Dolby's recommendations. Thanks.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Thanks Ed, I actually called and spoke with Scott, and he thought the front speaker placement would be fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis