speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, just recently got my stands for my Ultra Bookshelf speakers. I took the tables out of the equation so to speak. Have also moved things around somewhat. If you don't mind, please take a close look at my pics of my room and let me know how I can improve things.

Have been advised to get rid of the tables that I had before. Also have been advised NOT to make my front-stage mirror images. That being said, things are NOT symmetrical which is very hard given that I suffer from OCD.

Right now, I still have the audio stand in my set-up. However, several people have already told me that I would be much better off moving my AVR, BR Player, and my DVR off of the audio stand and put them onto my tv stand. Is that really necessary? Are my fronts too far apart? Have moved my LP off of the back wall about 18-20". It looks a little odd to me to do that. But, been told by doing so will improve my bass response in my room.

Just want to get some feedback and/or ideas on how to improve my room layout. Any thoughts would also be very helpful. Appreciate all of the help here from such great people. That is why I come here again and again. ;);););) Will rerun Audyssey a little later on today. Hope to get things dialed in a little better as well.

Cheers,

Phil

upload_2016-4-17_8-22-37.png

upload_2016-4-17_8-23-15.png

upload_2016-4-17_8-24-6.png

upload_2016-4-17_8-24-35.png

upload_2016-4-17_8-25-44.png

upload_2016-4-17_8-26-51.png

upload_2016-4-17_8-28-33.png

upload_2016-4-17_8-29-30.png

upload_2016-4-17_8-30-15.png

upload_2016-4-17_8-30-41.png

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Have some more:

upload_2016-4-17_8-53-50.png

upload_2016-4-17_8-54-20.png

upload_2016-4-17_8-54-55.png

upload_2016-4-17_8-55-22.png

upload_2016-4-17_8-56-8.png

upload_2016-4-17_8-56-42.png

So there you have it. Hope to get some feedback. It, as always, would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looks nice I'd swap the sub with speaker on the left side, so you get better imaging. Why is the fridge sticking out so much?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
How far apart are the speakers? How many inches/feet from the left side wall/right side wall and front wall?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Also get an extension cord for that lamp, so you can move the couch back. :) I think the rack is taking up space I'd put everything on that rack under the TV. That way you can an accurate distance for imaging with speakers and subs. Same distance on both sides from the TV stand if you know what I mean.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Looks nice I'd swap the sub with speaker on the left side, so you get better imaging. Why is the fridge sticking out so much?
If I get rid of the audio stand and put my AVR,BR Player, and DVR onto my tv stand do you still think that I need to move the sub and front Ultra on the left hand side? In other words, if I move everything onto my tv stand, would you put my subs right next to my tv stand on each side OR put the Ultras next to my tv stand? Would it really make a difference?

The fridge is sticking out because of my microwave cart. I know it is a bit of an eye sore. But, my kitchen is very small. In fact, my 1 BR apartment is also very small. Thanks for the tips!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
How far apart are the speakers? How many inches/feet from the left side wall/right side wall and front wall?
Alex, I will get some measurements and get back with you. Should have them shortly.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Also get an extension cord for that lamp, so you can move the couch back. :) I think the rack is taking up space I'd put everything on that rack under the TV. That way you can an accurate distance for imaging with speakers and subs. Same distance on both sides from the TV stand if you know what I mean.
Been advised to keep the LP off of the back wall but not to the point it is in the center of the room. So, that is how I have it now. If I move my couch back against the back wall, then I do not need an extension cord. So, have I been advised wrong?

Cheers,

Phil

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
It should be OK to peel the energy use sticker off the TV now too. ;)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Precise Distance is the key for wider soundstage. :) Also if you can put the table/Lamp on the other side so your couch is is more in the center to the speakers.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Here are examples:

I'd keep the subs between the speaker and tv stand.
This can be done if I move everything onto my tv stand. Not doing that today, but will on this coming Tuesday. Need some rest. Just thought that I would mention several people have advised me to not make things symmetrical because most often it does more harm than good.

Moving the audio stand out and moving the subs closest to my tv stand will certainly look better. It will also be better for my OCD. Just need to make sure doing so does not diminish the sound quality. Appreciate the pics!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It should be OK to peel the energy use sticker off the TV now too. ;)
Yeah, guess it is time for me to make that change....LOL!!! Never said I was swift, just thrifty......LOL!!!! ;);););)

Cheers,

Phil

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
It will help and not harmful can't wait to see/hear your improvements. I made it work in my tiny apt and you got more space. ;)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Precise Distance is the key for wider soundstage. :) Also if you can put the table/Lamp on the other side so your couch is is more in the center to the speakers.

Very good point. Will also need to experiment with toe-in. Do you think that I would really need a center channel speaker? I really don't care too much for HT anymore, but I do watch a movie on BR or TV occasionally. Once again thanks for the pics.

Cheers,

Phil

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You probably could do without a center speaker though I wouldn't understand the dual subs just for music, most of which doesn't need that much bass. Might as well get one and listen. You'll have enough distance between the speakers that it should make quite a bit of difference.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It will help and not harmful can't wait to see/hear your improvements. I made it work in my tiny apt and you got more space. ;)
Okay I will get it all moved around on this coming Tuesday. Will also rerun Audyssey and do some fine-tuning. Do you think that a center is going to be needed since the subs would now be next to my tv stand and the Ultras further apart? Would it really help musically speaking? Usually don't listen to multi-channel music very often. Maybe a center would enhance the front-stage somewhat.

Cheers,

Phil

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You won't need a center speaker this why I say speaker distance is key, so the Singer/Movie Dialogue will be front and center(you'll see/hear it). Since you do have a surround receiver and you are thrifty a center would be nice, but not really needed. It's a beautiful thing when you close your eyes and it's like Fiona Apple, Elvis or Kate is right there in the middle. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis