Room echo with brick wall

Trophykage

Trophykage

Audioholic Intern
Hello, so I am having issues in regards to my room acoustics. I have finally gone through and setup everything and am having issues with bad echo from a cutout fireplace brick area. I will list some photos and room measurements below. I am looking for some advice on how I could potentially reduce or eliminate the echo from this space. I unfortunately don't really have any other options throughout the house to relocate. I do not plan on staying in this house as I will be moving in a couple years after finishing school, so preferably no permanent changes are an option. I was potentially thinking about doing some acoustic paneling on the interior brick area or a curtain on the exterior opening that can be opened when I do want to utilize the fireplace or a combination of both. Excuse my ignorance as I am pretty new in the AV world and have been doing a bunch of research into the topic, so any advice or product ideas would be much appreciated. Also, Excuse the mess! :D

IMG_0623.jpeg
IMG_0625.jpeg
IMG_0626.jpeg
IMG_0627.jpeg

A

ASCTim

Audiophyte
Anything to break up that flat surface of bricks should help reduce the echo. Acoustic panels on either side of the stove would definitely help. A heavy curtain across the opening would also cut down on that echo.

Trophykage

Trophykage

Audioholic Intern
Anything to break up that flat surface of bricks should help reduce the echo. Acoustic panels on either side of the stove would definitely help. A heavy curtain across the opening would also cut down on that echo.
Thank you for the response. I also went ahead and ordered a UMIK to do some testing and see if I can better optimize my placement. Plan on getting a second sub later this month to help with bass. I will look into some paneling.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
When I saw the first pic I thought you had your main speakers inside the cutout on either side of the fireplace. :eek:

I'm not very well versed in room treatments but we have some guys who are. Good news is I think you have some options and we'll be able to help you out with this. Just hang tight for some more replies!

Trophykage

Trophykage

Audioholic Intern
When I saw the first pic I thought you had your main speakers inside the cutout on either side of the fireplace. :eek:

I'm not very well versed in room treatments but we have some guys who are. Good news is I think you have some options and we'll be able to help you out with this. Just hang tight for some more replies!
That for sure would not be good! Been watching videos on REW and should have my mic Friday so I can give some more accurate information.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That for sure would not be good! Been watching videos on REW and should have my mic Friday so I can give some more accurate information.
REW has a bit of a learning curve, but it's not TOO steep. I mean, if I can figure it out... :p

It's a great tool for showing you exactly what's going on in your room. What are you using to power your speakers? An avr? Separates? An avr with a separate amp? If you have a Denon or Marantz receiver with Audyssey MultEQ you can get the app editor and make manual PEQ adjustments. There are a handful of us here who've really been digging into it (with ratbuddysey) with some very good results.

Trophykage

Trophykage

Audioholic Intern
I currently am running a x2600h, but have been considering stepping up to get 9.2 (for Atmos 5.2.4) and hdmi 2.1 support for the upcoming PS5. I’m still within the return period on the 2600.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis