Room Correction Software question

B

BFL

Audioholic
I have had my Denon X4400h for years now, but wasn't til now I decided to dial it in with my new speaker setup.

My question is there an alternative to audessey xt32 for my Denon that would be considered a better alternative. I also have the audyssey app. I can say I don't like what it does to my sub settings.

I see names thrown around such as Arc Genisis and Dirac to name a couple. Now that I'm spending all this money on my speakers, I want to dial it the best I can.

So, what alternative do I have to my audyssey? Also, not looking for a steep learning curve software either..so let me what u think..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The only other software/setup tools you can use with that avr is the MultEQ-X software app ($200). You can't use Dirac or Anthem Room Correction, the avr just isn't setup for it. The newest Denons do have a Dirac license option, tho (3800, 4800 and A1H). What you can do, as Audyssey doesn't tell you what you've particularly started with nor ended up with, is a good measurement mic and software like REW (Room EQWizard) so you can see not only starting conditions but also ending. Or just use it as a guideline and not use Audyssey, it doesn't work for everyone. Kinda depends how much time you want to spend on this. Your room is a basic limitation, so just setting up your room as well as you can without software is the best first step.

B

BFL

Audioholic
The only other software/setup tools you can use with that avr is the MultEQ-X software app ($200). You can't use Dirac or Anthem Room Correction, the avr just isn't setup for it. The newest Denons do have a Dirac license option, tho (3800, 4800 and A1H). What you can do, as Audyssey doesn't tell you what you've particularly started with nor ended up with, is a good measurement mic and software like REW (Room EQWizard) so you can see not only starting conditions but also ending. Or just use it as a guideline and not use Audyssey, it doesn't work for everyone. Kinda depends how much time you want to spend on this. Your room is a basic limitation, so just setting up your room as well as you can without software is the best first step.
Thanks for the info.. Kinda sux I would have to update the avr. I will look at the REW to see what It has to offer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the info.. Kinda sux I would have to update the avr. I will look at the REW to see what It has to offer.
Audyssey XT32 with the editor app can be very good, don't discount what you've got. A measurement mic and REW are good tools to have if you really want to dive into it, but it's kinda like
alice-alice-in-wonderland.gif

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I have had my Denon X4400h for years now, but wasn't til now I decided to dial it in with my new speaker setup.

My question is there an alternative to audessey xt32 for my Denon that would be considered a better alternative. I also have the audyssey app. I can say I don't like what it does to my sub settings.

I see names thrown around such as Arc Genisis and Dirac to name a couple. Now that I'm spending all this money on my speakers, I want to dial it the best I can.

So, what alternative do I have to my audyssey? Also, not looking for a steep learning curve software either..so let me what u think..
When I had a Denon, a trick I used was to run Audyssey without the subs active to get distance, levels, eq etc....then turn the subs on afterwards and manually set distance and eq by ear. Got much stronger better bass that way. Distance is one of the most crucial adjustments with any of these programs. (delay)

Funny that I have Dirac now on my Pioneer and haven't used it yet. I get the basics from MCACC and do the rest by ear...sounds good to me. (but I really should run Dirac someday...I guess)

B

BFL

Audioholic
After running audessey, why do people roll the range back to 300-500hz for all the channels in the app?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
After running audessey, why do people roll the range back to 300-500hz for all the channels in the app?
That's the range where a lot of room anomalies can/do take place...and, many don't want the natural curve of their speakers adjusted past that.
Denon likes to roll off high frequencies with Audyssey. Many find this undesirable.
Trial and error is the best course of action with this method of course....with the app you can adjust and save/load different Audyssey profiles with or without the "curtains" as they call them.

B

BFL

Audioholic
That's the range where a lot of room anomalies can/do take place...and, many don't want the natural curve of their speakers adjusted past that.
Denon likes to roll off high frequencies with Audyssey. Many find this undesirable.
Trial and error is the best course of action with this method of course....with the app you can adjust and save/load different Audyssey profiles with or without the "curtains" as they call them.
Great info.. Thanks for the explanation

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Which settings are you not liking after the setup. What speakers and subs? Have you set all speakers to small?

B

BFL

Audioholic
Which settings are you not liking after the setup. What speakers and subs? Have you set all speakers to small?
Well, I do have new mains and center coming next week(Martin Logan Xt F100) . My setup is 7.2.4. Last week installed 2 new subs. I now have a front left and rear right SVS PB3000s

As many people complain how audessey reduced the bass from the subs. Not only did it set the avr to - 5 & - 5.5, it had me reduce the volume of the subs during the initial audessey part for sw level matching down to - 32 & - 37db using the svs app.

I am also confused about turning off mid compensation as well as bring the curtain sliders down to 500hz. Sounds like it's gonna be trial and error.

I did set all speakers to small and Xovers to 80hz except mains to 60hz.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Well, I do have new mains and center coming next week(Martin Logan Xt F100) . My setup is 7.2.4. Last week installed 2 new subs. I now have a front left and rear right SVS PB3000s

As many people complain how audessey reduced the bass from the subs. Not only did it set the avr to - 5 & - 5.5, it had me reduce the volume of the subs during the initial audessey part for sw level matching down to - 32 & - 37db using the svs app.

I am also confused about turning off mid compensation as well as bring the curtain sliders down to 500hz. Sounds like it's gonna be trial and error.

Seriously...try what I said about running Audyssey without subs and then afterwards bring them in how you like them.
All rooms are different. My Denon and now my Pioneer always set my subs around -15, which is fine in my small room...I have bass out the YingYang.
Mid compensation is another example of Audyssey want to roll off everything....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

It's not uncommon for all RC to have you lower the volume on the sub before making corrections. Let it set the distances and then go back and adjust the level to your liking. It's also possible that you're in a null, which levels won't help with that and would require moving the subs around, but without measurements it's hard to say.

B

BFL

Audioholic
It's not uncommon for all RC to have you lower the volume on the sub before making corrections. Let it set the distances and then go back and adjust the level to your liking. It's also possible that you're in a null, which levels won't help with that and would require moving the subs around, but without measurements it's hard to say.
Funny how it put both subs to 28ft. In reality 1 is 14 ft and the other about 7ft. I didn't change it though. I imagine some of the discrepancy in the rear distance is I'm running it with the svs wireless adapter.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Funny how it put both subs to 28ft. In reality 1 is 14 ft and the other about 7ft. I didn't change it though. I imagine some of the discrepancy in the rear distance is I'm running it with the svs wireless adapter.
With subs, don't worry about the distance as low frequency will cause that, usually correctly. The delay from it may be 100% necessary.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Thats because of the wireless....it is actually measuring the imperceivable (to most ears) lag using wireless.

B

BFL

Audioholic
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, so I left it. Was surprised it had the same distance for the front sub which is wired though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, so I left it. Was surprised it had the same distance for the front sub which is wired though.
It's about delay and acoustics, not physical distance. Physical distance readouts are a translation from delay measurements.

B

BFL

Audioholic
My new LCR speakers should be arriving this week, do I need to run audessey again even though they will be at the same position as the ones I have now?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis