Room Considerations

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
Please forgive me if this has been covered or belongs elsewhere.

Here is my situation.

I have one of the first SVS subs, the venerable PB 12 Plus/2. In my previous home it seriously shook the house [and neighborhood] at 40% gain without breaking a sweat. That house had a larger room than my current home and it also had an entry door. My current room [3150 cubic ft] is somewhat smaller and it has an opening instead of a door. I currently have curtains installed as shown below.

upload_2018-1-2_17-54-9.png

Here is my problem:

The bass just seems different since moving into the current home [I can't get that full enveloping bass I'm used to and higher gain produces boomy bass] but sub placement options are limited as shown in this [admittedly poor] pic. I'm familiar with subwoofer crawl. The options I do have I've tried and have seen no improvement. I'm considering dual subs or possibly installing a door.

upload_2018-1-2_18-17-44.png

There is a pedestal and more seats behind these but no room for both people and a sub.

Please advise me...

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Is there any room behind the seats for the sub?

What are the dimensions of the room, and what is the layout?

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
Is there any room behind the seats for the sub?

What are the dimensions of the room, and what is the layout?
Thanks for your reply. Room dimensions are below. I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean by "layout." I could relocate the sub as indicated but I figured that would overwhelm those in the rear row.

Room:

Width:
Front = 10.7 ft
Rear (pedestal) Area = 7.7 ft (see pic)

Length = 21.4 ft

Ceiling = 8 ft

upload_2018-1-3_17-17-8.png

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
You've got speakers everywhere! What's going on with the one between the seats?

If you've got the budget for a second sub, I would highly recommend it spending it. With that many seats, it's near impossible for any sub to get every frequency to every ear - it looks like there is 7-8 feet between the front left and rear right seats? Do they not get used much?

My other recommendation would be to move all of your seats forward, particularly to get those rear seats out of that 'pedestal' area. If the goal is to get every seat to sound the same, those back two don't stand a chance.

I ask about the speaker between the seats because I am confused on your layout - or how many speakers there are, and where they are in relation to the room and the listeners.

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
You've got speakers everywhere! What's going on with the one between the seats?

If you've got the budget for a second sub, I would highly recommend it spending it. With that many seats, it's near impossible for any sub to get every frequency to every ear - it looks like there is 7-8 feet between the front left and rear right seats? Do they not get used much?

My other recommendation would be to move all of your seats forward, particularly to get those rear seats out of that 'pedestal' area. If the goal is to get every seat to sound the same, those back two don't stand a chance.

I ask about the speaker between the seats because I am confused on your layout - or how many speakers there are, and where they are in relation to the room and the listeners.

LOL - Yes, I do have a lot of speakers. The ones between the seats are my rear surrounds.

It's usually just me and sometimes my wife [and she couldn't care less about sound quality] so I'm not interested in optimizing for all seats.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
LOL - Yes, I do have a lot of speakers. The ones between the seats are my rear surrounds.

It's usually just me and sometimes my wife [and she couldn't care less about sound quality] so I'm not interested in optimizing for all seats.

Well, those are some fancy seats for people who won't be there! Have fun!

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
Well, those are some fancy seats for people who won't be there! Have fun!
Accumulated over the years and on the rare days I do entertain large crowds it's pretty awesome. I may try relocating the sub to the rear. If it's not optimal I can always move it back.

Thanks again.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
3000+ cubic feet is a nice sized room. I would use two subs to even out the bass.

If you would like to save space, you could go with (2) Triad InWall or OnWall Bronze SlimSubs. I would try to put them in diagonally opposing corners and you can order them with a DSP amp that will give you a lot more control.

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
3000+ cubic feet is a nice sized room. I would use two subs to even out the bass.
Yes, I hear you but my SVS PB 12 Plus/2 keeps pumping out the bass. I relocated it based on TheWarrior's guidance and I'm pleased with the overall result. Sincere thanks!!!

If you would like to save space, you could go with (2) Triad InWall or OnWall Bronze SlimSubs. I would try to put them in diagonally opposing corners and you can order them with a DSP amp that will give you a lot more control.
In wall/On wall subs? Honestly, that sounds like sacrilege to me but I'll take a look. Also, it would be a difficult decision to part with my SVS although I have been looking at a pair of RSL Speedwoofers should that day come.

Thanks for the reply

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Also, it would be a difficult decision to part with my SVS although I have been looking at a pair of RSL Speedwoofers should that day come.
Not sure I'd go down to 10's from 12's in that size room.

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
Not sure I'd go down to 10's from 12's in that size room.
I agree, thus my trepidation. I think I want dual subs but it's hard to part with a stalworth product like the PB12 Plus/2. It's older but still amazingly capable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis