T

TC10284

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hey audio guys! I am a computer guru(and an audio n00b, But don't get my wrong, I love good audio. &nbsp;I have some Cambridge 4.1 speaks and a Santa Cruz sound card on my main comp.) from NC. I recently setup a computer in my room and I am looking for some nice speakers for my computer or run the computer through a bookshelf stereo. I don't know which to do because I can get some Creative Labs Inspire 6600 6.1 speakers that connect directly to your computer fairly cheap.  I have an SB Live! 5.1 MP3+ sound card in my room computer(I may switch it to a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz). Or I can get a bookshelf stereo/CD player and run the computer through it(I think you can atleast). I figure the bookshelf stereo will have more power to push the speakers. The problem I'm having is that I can't find/know of a good but cheap bookshelf stereo that has atleast four speakers or two speakers with more outputs for two or more speakers. Do you guys think I should stick with the Creative Labs Inspire 6600 6.1 speakers and forget the bookshelf stereo or should I go for a good bookshelf stereo? If the latter, what is a good but cheap(probably less than $150) bookshelf stereo with atleast two speakers and more speaker outputs? I plan to use my computer for TV watching(TV Tuner), MP3/CD playing(if not through the stereo), listening to the radio, either on the TV Tuner or the stereo(whichever picks up best),watching DVD's(DVD drive in the comp.), and regular gaming(such as Quake 3 Arena). Keep in mind that the desk in my room is kind-of small so if you suggest a bookshelf stereo it can't be awfully big. I plan to hang the speakers on the walls, two in front and two in back. My sister has her DVD player running through her stereo so that's why I'm interested in running my comp. through a stereo. Can this be done without a lot of trouble/cost or should I just forget the stereo and get some good computer speakers? Thanks for your help!

Tavis Curry</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Hi,

I have a dual Athlon righ and a dual P-III rig. I am primarily using the dual Athlon righ to do a/v work so this system has what I call a premium sound and video system. For sound I have a Yamaha pro audio SWX 1000G mixer card which has upgradable sound fonts as well as the ability to mix upto twenty sources. For audio I have attached a Yamaha AX-496 amp which has a conservative rating of 100W into 8 ohms. For speakers since it is a desktop enviroment I am using the famous Yamaha NS10M nearfeild studio monitors and a YST -SW 90 sub. This combination gives me reasonably good sound as well as the ability to give me good monitoring facilities. On the older dual P-III system I am using the powered Yamaha multi media speakers with a Yamaha DXG card. I get quite decent sound out of it.

The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card is a true pro audio card and it is &nbsp;way above the league of the Creative and I would suggest that you upgrade the sound for that particular card only. I had kept a Creative Extigy attached to my dual Athlon rig and was never satisified with it's drivers or it's performance. The sound never appealed to me. Somehow found it too harsh.</font>

T

TC10284

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>OK. So what kind of bookshelf stereo/speakers should I look into? Should I list my comp. specs?

Tavis</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
TC10284 : <font color='#000000'>OK. So what kind of bookshelf stereo/speakers should I look into? Should I list my comp. specs?

Tavis</font>
<font color='#000000'>Any decent bookshelf from the Yamaha NS 10M or NS 90 to Paradigm Titan, AR, MB Quart or Canton will do.</font>

T

TC10284

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>And that line will support 4 speakers and is kind of cheap(pricewise) but good quality? So, your opinion is to go for a stereo system and 4 speakers?</font>

T

TC10284

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I think i've found one. How about the Panasonic SC-AK600?</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis