Rookie Audiophile Needs Help!

A

AEROSCOUT

Audiophyte
I have recently made the decision to throw away my 10 year old television and something that resembles a home theater system, (a cheap receiver, speakers, DVD player, VHS player that is not even worth mentioning the brands to avoid being ridiculed, :)

I have a budget of about 10,000k-12,000k to invest. I want to get with the program of finally owning a state of the art home theater system. I have taken on the momentous challenge to learn everything I can about HDTV, receivers and loudspeakers and I am still truly frightened that despite my newly acquired knowledge I still can’t select the right equipment for my home. So many brands, so many choices. So, I ask you…seasoned audiophiles to help me selecting the right piece of equipment that will better give me the best bang for my buck.

I have it narrowed down to the following:

Receiver:
DENON AVR-3805 or YAMAHA RX-V2500

Plasma HDTV 50”
PANASONIC TH-50PH7UY or PIONEER ELITE series

Loudspeakers
KLIPSCH Reference series RF25, RC25, RB25, RW12 or
MORDAUNT short AVANT series

All your help and input will be greatly appreciated,
Go Army!

caseyh

caseyh

Audiophyte
Other speakers to consider if your budget doesn't work out

You've selected some great looking speakers. However, if somewhere along the line you decide you want to spend a little less money on your speakers without compromising performance, check out Axiom Audio up in Canada--axiomaudio.com. They have some very well-engineered products with very competitive pricing. I've been very happy with my Axiom M22ti's. You owe it to yourself to check out their EP500 and EP600 subwoofers--incredible machines.

A

AEROSCOUT

Audiophyte
Help The Rookie!

Did I forget to mention that I take suggestions regarding other brands? Thank you for all your input.

Caseyh: Are you referring to the Klipsch or the Mourdaunt speakers?

J

jimmit

Junior Audioholic
Either of those receivers will do fine; they are both excellent at their price point. Don't know much about the TV's but the Panasonic appears to be much less expensive. With respect to speakers, it's very important that you audition them, preferably in your home. Speakers are very different in their respective sounds. Klipsch, for example, is noted for being very forward. Many people find them too "bright" and fatiguing to listen to. If you like that sound, by all means keep Klipsch in the running. Others speaker brands you might consider auditioning: B&W, Dynaudio, JMLab, Monitor Audio and Paradigm.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
lol, get rid of the small TV, and go with a
$2500 - BenQ PE7700 video projector or better
$1500 - Da-Lite Tensioned Cosmopolitan Electrol HDTV Format - 119" Diag (motorized screen) OR
$400 - Draper Luma 2 128" diag (manual screen)

This would leave you with a +119" image (more then twice the size at a similar cost), and $7-$9k to buy your stereo equipment.

I'd also suggest AMX or Crestron products...but the prices might be to high.
Below is an example of AMX. I like the 7" widescreen Modero. It cost $1200 just for that. Add the controller, and amx switcher...it'd be roughly about $4-$5k. But it could be used to control your lights, screen, audio and video sources, start and stop movies, chance channels etc. hmm I wonder if it could work with a DVR.

http://www.amx.com/gallery-texas.asp - click on enlarge, then view control it.

I'm going to start building a house in roughly 6 months, and this will be similar to my theater room (20'x25'). I will be spending $18-$20k though. :) The wife ok'd it.

Reorx

T

ToolZero

Audioholic Intern
Aeroscout,

You and I are looking at almost the same exact speakers and exactly the same receivers. I am very interested in what you will decide. Please continue to post as you further research. If you want someone to help you research please email me at grant.early@sbcglobal.net.

Grant

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
You may want to check out the Yamaha 4600 for the receiver, if your looking for "state of the art" your going to want HDMI switching to send signals through ur system. For only 1700 its a steal, or if you really want a wonderful system, think about an Outlaw 990 and one of their 7 channel AMPs www.outlawaudio.com for the speakers Paradigm are my favorite all the way with your budget you may be able to check out their Studio line.

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
AEROSCOUT,

What branch of the Army? I'm guessing aviation based on your username?

I'm enjoying in being in much the same boat, but your budget is about 3x mine.

Do you have a room picked out for this project? You might want to allocate some of your budget for room acoustic treatments if you need to (see below).

I wholeheartely recommend you seriously consider a projector as opposed to a TV. It requires a dark room for viewing, but your bang for the buck is much better. Take a look at www.projectorcentral.com for a great place to learn, this forum also has some good advice. If you don't have a dark room, don't bother. For HD bang for the buck its hard to beat the Panasonic PT-AE700 or the Sanyo PLV-Z3.

Receiver: You have two winners picked out there. I've listened to both and they are both good, so you can't really go wrong. The Yammy has more options for sound processing and a more flexible parametric EQ (helps to tame the way the room may color your sound). Given your budget you may want to look at seperate amplification and just use the pre-out from your receiver of choice. If you want basically the same receiver for much less money I would highly recommend you look at the Pioneer 1015TX. You sacrifice a few bells and whistles in EQ and surround scenarious, and not nearly as much "brand name" snobbery there, but at half the price!

Speakers will be your biggest challenge. There are just so many vendors out there, with so little real data floating around, and so few places to audition. My suggestion is to go to some home theater stores and listen to all the very high end stuff and determine what you like the most in terms of sound. Then come back down from the stratosphere and try and find some reasonably priced models that match that sound as closely as possible. You can look on forums like these or in HT magazines and find endless variations and recommendations. Eventually you have to narrow the field and evaluate for yourself. I would highly recommend you go to a direct over the internet, as the value there for the speaker you purchase is often very good (no middle-man profits increasing your price).

Your sub does not necessarily need to be from your speaker manufacturer of choice. I've found that even the best speaker manufacturers do not necessarily put together the best sub for the money. (at least when it comes to low frequency extension) Take a look at some of the offerings from HSU and SVS:

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/
http://www.hsuresearch.com/

Don't forget that your room size and shape greatly effect the subwoofer's response (room modes). The smaller the room the more likely you will have issues. This can make the bass sound "boomy", not a good thing. You can handle this via room treatments (EXPENSIVE) or you can try and tame it with equalization. The EQ in your receiver is often not well equipped to handle low frequency EQ. The Behringer Feedback Destroyer is used by many to tame these low-frequency room modes, and can be had for around $100.

Don't forget a nice universal controller, all that gear is made much sexier when you can control it from a single remote - the Logitech Harmony 676 is a nice choice without spending in the thousands.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I third the opinion for a front projector & some curtains. A 100+" picture, even at slightly less total resolution than the latest & greatest RPTV will win-out in viewing pleasure any time.

Speakers: Klipsch refrence are good (I wouldn't waste my time with any of the lesser lines), but make sure you give them a good audition before you buy, Klipsch can be pretty "bright" for many people, you may or may not like it.

No matter what speakers you buy, I'll recommend a subwoofer from Hsu, SVS, Velodyne, or the Axiom ep500 & 600.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
I wholeheartely recommend you seriously consider a projector as opposed to a TV. It requires a dark room for viewing, but your bang for the buck is much better. Take a look at www.projectorcentral.com for a great place to learn, this forum also has some good advice. If you don't have a dark room, don't bother. For HD bang for the buck its hard to beat the Panasonic PT-AE700 or the Sanyo PLV-Z3. - Wilkenboy
I have to agree and disagree. If you get a low lumen projector, you will need the room to be darker. If you get a higher lumen projector, you can have more light in the room. The problem you will run into though, is the higher the lumens, usually the less black the blacks.

If native 16:9 aspect ratio isnt a big deal to you, you could get a decent 2000+ lumen business projector with native 4:3 for $1500-$2500. Most of these have built in scalers that will display the 16:9 ratio, just not quite as nice as a native 16:9 though. Also, the supported interfaces would vary. DVI is more common then HDMI.

www.projectorcentral.com is a excellent site.

Reorx

kay

kay

Audioholic
The Mordaunt-Short Avant speakers are much less imposing in real life, and also you should definitely audition them before you commit. I listened to them back-to-back with some B&W floorstanders and preferred the B&W all the way.

L

LOUMFSG

Junior Audioholic
I am looking at a very similar system

I've already decided on the Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY plasma. As far as receivers go, I'm looking at the two you mentioned, plus the Onkyo TX-SR702. Right now, I am actually leaning towards the Onkyo. I've had a hard time deciding on speakers, as the prices can vary so much. I got a recommendation today to look at BIC America Venturi line, and they seem to be a very good value. Good luck with your system.

A

AEROSCOUT

Audiophyte
Thanx For The Help!

Well... I knew I was right by posting my current shopping wish list asking for input. I thank all of you for the support.

Not until today that I thought about a projector vs a plasma TV; I am going to research further, although I like what I read so far.

Someone mentioned the speaker and subwoof do not have to be the same brand. I am now looking at a Velodyne sub, and other speakers like the B&W etc.

However, I am still set on the RX-V2500 and the AVR-3805 for receivers. I read many reviews including the manufacturer's websites for both, and I am still down to these two receivers. I will test drive both hopefully this weekend and I will post my findings.

You've guessed right...Army Aviation
FLYARMY

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
AEROSCOUT said:
I have it narrowed down to the following:

Receiver:
DENON AVR-3805 or YAMAHA RX-V2500

Plasma HDTV 50”
PANASONIC TH-50PH7UY or PIONEER ELITE series

Loudspeakers
KLIPSCH Reference series RF25, RC25, RB25, RW12 or
MORDAUNT short AVANT series

All your help and input will be greatly appreciated,
Go Army!
I can comment on your plasma and reciever choices. Panasonic is good but has some frustrating problems you need to take into consideration. They have a pretty common problem of black levels which change on their own. I own one and was only able to fix with an external scaler. For more information on this issue refer to this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=473893

The pioneer Elite is a good choice becuase it has a native rate of 72Hz. I am not a tech guy, but I can tell you this makes a HUGE difference in eliminating motion blur in most if not all plasmas. If I could make one more suggestion I would invest in an external scaler like this,
http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_ishdplus.php
but first as the guy at the store you are buying your stuff from if the Pioneer can accept its native resolution. If it cant then skip the extrenal scaler.

As far as recievers go, I would recoment lookin at Rotel. Not only is it better then Denon or Yam, it looks cool.

http://www.rotel.com

Last edited:
B

Blundaar

Audioholic
I wouldn't even think about plasma unless you have room/space considerations and need that thin profile. Projectors may be old school, but under most conditions they perform as good or better than anything else. And while you're at it, check out the Hitachi "Ultravision" series projector TV's. My friend and I bought the same TV after much researching and looking around. The funny thing about it was he's 1500mi away and we both came to the same conclusion without talking to each other until after we bought our TV's!. You migh want to read this before you make your final decision on video.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
DLP vs LCD preemptive question answered :)

wow. another one of my favorite websites. Imagine that...2 of my sites in 1 thread. www.firingsquad.com

http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcd_dlp.htm
To simplify:
DLP (single chip) strengths:
higher contrast.
deeper blacks

LCD strengths:
Better color reproduction
sharper image

Personally, I like the LCD's. Having accurate color reproduction is more important to me then deeper blacks. DLP does look noticibly better with text, but the LCD is still more then acceptible. In the business world, Mitsubishi has the top color reproduction LCD projectors. I would expect the same from them in the home theater market as well.

2-3 chip DLP projectors offer a much better color reproduction and sharper image then before. Making them better then the LCD's. But this just about doubles the cost of the projectors.

I have yet to see any kind of ghosting in games or movies on any projectors. I have notice it alot on the plasma and LCD flatscreens.

As for speakers and receivers, I agree with everyone else. There are alot of good brands out there. I'd take the top recommend ones, read the reviews, go audition them in person, then make a decision.

Reorx

B

Blundaar

Audioholic
Reorx said:
wow. another one of my favorite websites. Imagine that...2 of my sites in 1 thread. www.firingsquad.com
I guess we're all gaming freaks as well, n'est pas?
With regards to plasma/LCD, I just feel uncomfortable buying anything with a half-life !

A

AEROSCOUT

Audiophyte
More findings!

So, I went ahead and researched a few subwoofers. Looks like it is ok to have a different brand of sub from the speakers. So, far I have two that will probably replace my original selection on the Klipsch RW12.
Here they are:

Axiom EP500 and Velodyne SPL1000

Any thoughts?

FLYARMY!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis