Roku vs Nintendo Wii for streaming content

S

sm31

Audioholic Intern
I hope this isn't too off-topic for this forum...

I am trying to decide between a Roku box and a Wii for the family (PS3 is too expensive, plus already have a Panasonic bd-60). Currently leaning toward the Wii, but I'm wondering what functionality a Roku might have that a Wii does not.

I know both devices will stream Netflix (we are subscribers). But what about audio/video quality? Honestly, I don't have huge quality expectations for streaming media anytime soon, but if there is a glaring advantage the Roku has over the Wii in this area... Since the Wii only does component video, I know an HD picture is out of the question. But is that really a big deal when viewing the usual grainy, streamed in content?

I also noticed the Wii has an "internet channel", so I should be able to access youtube, hulu+, Pandora, & whatever else Roku is set up for. I am assuming the Wii browser will allow "full screen" mode on youtube, etc... or am I wrong there?

So based on research thus far, my tentative conclusion is Roku has advantages in terms of video/audio quality (potentially), but not much else.

Please feel free blow holes in my conclusion because I am not the least bit biased right now. In fact, the Roku is very compact, $100 cheaper, & has better connectivity. But my family (not necessarily me) likes the Wii.

Thanks y'all!

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
The wii only does 480p and 2 channel audio...roku boxes will do 720p to 1080p, dunno about their audio support. I've never used my wii's internet channel so I can't help you there :(

S

sm31

Audioholic Intern
BTW, if this thread belongs in the Home Theater PC (HTPC) & Media Servers forum, I apologize!! Wasn't sure where to put it...

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
I have the entry level roku box, I love it. The high end model $99, will do 1080p with optical audio out, not sure if it is set up for 5.1 but I think it does. There are also a lot more "channels" on the roku than wii. I have set up with Netflix, Hulu+, Youtube, Podcaster, Crunchyroll (anime), Archives.com, loaded squeezebox server to stream music off my mac to the roku. plus a lot of other channels.

www.roku-channels.com/

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Streaming quality on the Wii is not so great. It looks OK but it can't do HD and therefore it only receives lower quality streams to begin with. HD streams from Netflix and Hulu Plus can look very good, much better than the Wii is capable of. The Roku is better all around in this regard.

The browser in the Wii will not stream Hulu. It is quite basic. Hulu blocks streaming to all devices they don't have a deal with anyway. I do no believe Pandora works on the Wii either.

S

sm31

Audioholic Intern
Thanks!!! That is the kind of info I'm looking for. Had no idea the Opera browser would not stream Hulu.

The more I research this, the more convinced I am that the Wii is getting awfully "long in the tooth". No HD, small amount of onboard memory, crappy browser... It looks like a Wii 2 is coming out in the near future. However, that probably won't happen for at least a year, and knowing Nintendo... probably 3 years.

The Roku is much cheaper and looks to be competitive for awhile, but then I have a 7 & 6 year old (and my wife) all begging for the Wii. I'm screwed... probably should just roll over and get what they want.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Just get both! Wii for games, the roku for your streaming needs.

S

sm31

Audioholic Intern
Quick update...

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Roku XD/S. It should be here later this week I guess. Bye bye Cable TV.... hopefully for good!

I decided to wait for the next generation Wii to come out. While there isn't anything "wrong" with the current one, it just seems a bit long in the tooth... even for a late adopter like me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis