Roku Ultra 5.1 audio issues.

D

DFQForce4

Audiophyte
I have a Sony STR-DH550 with which has HDMI 1.4. I have a 5.1 set up using the Sony Core series L and R towers,center channel and the bookshelves for the surrounds,and the Sony VA-S315 75 watt active subwoofer. The display is a Samsung KS9800,but it will soon be swapped for a Samsung S95C. Ok here is the issue I am running into the TV(s) are at least HDMI 2.0 the reciever is HDMI 1.4,so 4K HDR 10-bit color devices have to be hooked into the tv directly. Because of this I am using HDMI ARC for audio. The Roku Ultra (2019) model is plugged into the tv directly and the audio is through HDMI ARC. The Roku says it says DD plus and DTS are available,yet when I go to play 5.1 content from a streaming service it keeps outputting as LPCM 2.0 and not DD Plus or DTS 5.1. Yes any night mode and audio leveling on the Roku are turned off. My PS5 and Series X are hooked up with the same proccess and I am not having audio issues with those. Is any one else have a similar issue any help would be nice.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What streaming services are you using and are you paying for the appropriate codec/video combo? What are your options in the Roku tv for audio output? Not all tvs output the multich codecs either (my old Samsungs don't unless it's OTA content).

D

DFQForce4

Audiophyte
Paramount Plus,and Prime Video highest tiers. Yes the TV supports DD and DTS 5.1 through ARC. I have read other forums and tried the solutions and they have not worked. Also my PS5 is hooked the same way and 5.1 audio plays just fine from 5.1 sources. The audio options are stereo and auto. Under auto it says DD and DTS are auto detected. I have read I could try putting it on "auto passthrough" but this model of Roku doesn't have that option.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Paramount Plus,and Prime Video highest tiers. Yes the TV supports DD and DTS 5.1 through ARC. I have read other forums and tried the solutions and they have not worked. Also my PS5 is hooked the same way and 5.1 audio plays just fine from 5.1 sources. The audio options are stereo and auto. Under auto it says DD and DTS are auto detected. I have read I could try putting it on "auto passthrough" but this model of Roku doesn't have that option.
I prefer my streamers not in the tv myself due to limitations of app/tv possible. If the tv does support it via ARC not sure why you can't use it, tho.

D

DFQForce4

Audiophyte
I prefer my streamers not in the tv myself due to limitations of app/tv possible. If the tv does support it via ARC not sure why you can't use it, tho.
Same normally I would just hook it to the AVR HDMI inputs directly but if I do that then I am limites to 1080p SDR instead of 4k HDR.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
It's hard for us to know what you have already tried. I would try and break down where the issue is occurring.

Run the Roku through your sony AVR; roku to AVR and AVR to TV both via HDMI. You should still have a 4k picture. Is the sound what you expect, DD?

Last edited:
D

DFQForce4

Audiophyte
That
It's hard for us to know what you have already tried. I would try and break down where the issue is occurring.

Run the Roku through your sony AVR; roku to AVR and AVR to TV both via HDMI. You should still have a 4k picture. Is the sound what you expect, DD?
That's what I am currently doing I think. The Roku HDMI is going into one of the tv's HDMI inputs,I have the AVR's HDMI out plugged into the tv's HDMI ARC input.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
That

That's what I am currently doing I think. The Roku HDMI is going into one of the tv's HDMI inputs,I have the AVR's HDMI out plugged into the tv's HDMI ARC input.
That's not what I'm saying. Plug the roku HDMI directly into your AVR (the media-in HDMI) and see if you get DD+ out of the AVR. This is just for troubleshooting. Do you get DD+ in this configuration?

There's a lot of handshaking (protocols) going on. I'm suspecting the roku isn't getting the right handshake from the AVR (through the TVs ARC) in the configuration you're using. It thinks it's plugged into a TV which is outputting the sound and only sending it stereo. If the roku (or any device) doesn't get the proper handshake it assumes the source is two channels.

Another couple of things to try:

1. If the PS5 working correctly. Try unplugging it from the TV, and plugging the roku into that exact HDMI. Sometimes on TV's only specific HDMIs support specific features. Perhaps the one you're using doesn't support a bitstream passthrough (DD+) to the AVR via the ARC.

2. Check that your roku is set to "passthrough." This is somewhere in the Audio settings on the roku.

3. Check that CEC is enabled on both the roku and the TV. On the roku it's called something like control other devices. Not sure what your TV calls it. This is less likely.

D

DFQForce4

Audiophyte
That's not what I'm saying. Plug the roku HDMI directly into your AVR (the media-in HDMI) and see if you get DD+ out of the AVR. This is just for troubleshooting. Do you get DD+ in this configuration?

There's a lot of handshaking (protocols) going on. I'm suspecting the roku isn't getting the right handshake from the AVR (through the TVs ARC) in the configuration you're using. It thinks it's plugged into a TV which is outputting the sound and only sending it stereo. If the roku (or any device) doesn't get the proper handshake it assumes the source is two channels.

Another couple of things to try:

1. If the PS5 working correctly. Try unplugging it from the TV, and plugging the roku into that exact HDMI. Sometimes on TV's only specific HDMIs support specific features. Perhaps the one you're using doesn't support a bitstream passthrough (DD+) to the AVR via the ARC.

2. Check that your roku is set to "passthrough." This is somewhere in the Audio settings on the roku.

3. Check that CEC is enabled on both the roku and the TV. On the roku it's called something like control other devices. Not sure what your TV calls it. This is less likely.
Yes I do get DDPlus and DTS if it is connected to the reciever directly that's how I had it before but I wanted 4K HDR playback instead of 1080p SDR. CEC etc is all turned on. This model of Roku Ultra does not have a passthrough option for audio which I think is the problem,and if I try forcing the audio via the Roku's custom setting there is no audio at all. The PS5 has a more audio settings which is why I think it's able to work fine. The audio formats on the TV itself are PCM,DTS,Dolby,and DTS Neo:6. The DTS and Dolby options are grayed out,so I thought perhaps something using Dolby has to be playing first so I turned on content,and it was all still grayed out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis