Roku jittery with Sherlock

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Hey everyone. I recently started watching Sherlock through my Roku player and the picture is jittery (no other shows do this). I suspect it is because it was shot in PAL, but it seems like that should be fixed somewhere along the path.

The path is:

Netflix Standard (i.e. HD)
AT&T Fiber at 1Gbps
AT&T gateway
Asus RT-AC3200 Tri-band Wireless Gigabit Router
Roku 2 (upgraded version) connected via Cat6
Denon AVR-X4300H via HDMI
Sony VPL-HW40ES projector via HDMI

NOTE: I do not have dual routers set up (i.e. the AT&T Gateway and the Asus Router). The AT&T unit is just a gateway through the DMZ+ settings.

Does anyone else experience this? Is there anything I can do?

Thank you.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have an AC3200 and don't have any issues with Sherlock on my FireTV. What band(s) does the Roku support? 2.4 only or 5 also? Have you tried clearing the cache for Neflix on the Roku?

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
My Roku is hardwired on Cat6 ethernet...

How do I clear the cache?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
My Roku is hardwired on Cat6 ethernet...

How do I clear the cache?
To my knowledge, the Roku doesn't have a cache. I would try restarting it, and checking for a software upgrade.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Have restarted multiple times and software is up to date...

Sounds like night just have to live with it.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Netflix...doesn't happen with any other shows I watch on Netflix.

Only other oddity on that unit is that HBOGo sometimes crashes, but I have heard that channel can be a bit buggy.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
That is very odd. Have you tried watching it at home on a laptop, just to test it? I'm guessing it'll work just fine. If it does, it'll prove that Roku has a problem, and you'll need to contact them. (Which wouldn't surprise me. The Rokus are a cheap and very compact way to access streaming channels, but I've had various little glitches over the past several years with mine.)

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Are the new Rokus any better? Given this is for a dedicated theater, I have considered upgrading mine to a Roku Premiere + (to get the Ethernet port)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Are the new Rokus any better? Given this is for a dedicated theater, I have considered upgrading mine to a Roku Premiere + (to get the Ethernet port)
Reading the reviews on the Roku site, it's tough to predict. Lots of one-star ratings though. If you don't need Amazon support and like this sort of device, Apple TV seems to be a lot more reliable. It looks like Roku has got in over their heads with software complexity in their latest products.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Understand on the Apple TV, but I am not in the Apple ecosystem...plus we do use Amazon Prime TV/Video.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Understand on the Apple TV, but I am not in the Apple ecosystem...plus we do use Amazon Prime TV/Video.
Nvidia shield TV is another alternative then. I've not had any issues with mine and various tv/movie streaming services (netflix, youtube, hbo go, amazon).

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
so I actually was able to determine the Roku is not the issue in the theater. I swapped it out with my living room roku and it still did it. However, neither Roku unit jitters in the living room. So I am thinking the jittering is being introduced somewhere else in the chain.

Path from original post:

Netflix Standard (i.e. HD)
AT&T Fiber at 1Gbps
AT&T gateway
Asus RT-AC3200 Tri-band Wireless Gigabit Router
Roku 2 (upgraded version) connected via Cat6
Denon AVR-X4300H via HDMI
Sony VPL-HW40ES projector via HDMI

NOTE: I do not have dual routers set up (i.e. the AT&T Gateway and the Asus Router). The AT&T unit is just a gateway through the DMZ+ settings.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Are the Rokus connected with CAT in both locations?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Alright, then I'd do two things:

1. Move the wired connection to a different switch port. See if the jitter goes away.
2. If not, try a different cable.

If both don't change anything, try switching the Roku to wireless mode.

Last edited:
Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
So I switched the port and cable...no change.

I switched to wireless and just had a non-HD picture that was jittery.

Could it be some processing in the X4300H or Sony Projector? The HDMI cable?

Thanks.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
This is a mystery. Do you have another monitor, even a small LCD monitor, that you could connect to the X4300H and test with? If the LCD monitor is jittery, it might very well be the AVR. HDMI is a cranky interconnect in the interface circuitry. (I think the designers were worried more about content protection than display quality and convenience for users.) But then again, the problem only occurs on Sherlock. If the LCD monitor is fine, the projector becomes the suspect.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis