Rocketfish wireless rear speaker kit question

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
I just set it up, but I am having problems with clipping on both surrounds as I approach reference level. No other speakers have this problem and when hard wired the surrounds do not clip (and before someone says why not leave it hardwired, I had them next to the main receiver hardwired. I don’t have the wire length for the full length of the room).
1. Should I have the receiver level higher for the surrounds and the volume knob on the Rocketfish lower or the other way.
2. If 1 is not a solution would simply increasing the crossover of the surrounds help. I don’t want to do this but it seems to work.
3. If 1 and 2 don’t help, would I be able to buy another external amplifier to take the signal from the Rocketfish receiver and we’ll amplify the sound to reference without clipping.

one more time

one more time

Junior Audioholic
I believe these units have built in power amps and they are nowhere near comparable in output to the ones in receiver,

Does the receiver offer line level outputs? Then you could connect a real amplifier. Otherwise, you might be able to buy some speaker to line level converters.

But, you really want to run wires.

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
I believe these units have built in power amps and they are nowhere near comparable in output to the ones in receiver,

Does the receiver offer line level outputs? Then you could connect a real amplifier. Otherwise, you might be able to buy some speaker to line level converters.

But, you really want to run wires.
I have an x1400h Denon reciever. If the line level outputs your talking about are the level trims to even all the speakers out then yes it does. -12 to +12 db.

one more time

one more time

Junior Audioholic
I don't think you understand. Perhaps I should have specified the rocketfish receiver.

The problem here is that the amplifiers in the rocketfish receiver suck, That's what's clipping.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have an x1400h Denon reciever. If the line level outputs your talking about are the level trims to even all the speakers out then yes it does. -12 to +12 db.
That sounds like a compromised solution to a poor product. I would return and look for better transmitter... or order the cabling needed to reach them. Monoprice is a great source for good quality inexpensive cable. Look at their 'choice' product.

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
I don't think you understand. Perhaps I should have specified the rocketfish receiver.

The problem here is that the amplifiers in the rocketfish receiver suck, That's what's clipping.
Ok, but if I were to stick with it, would changing the levels of the individual speakers on the Denon and the volume knob on the rockfish help if I do them one way or another.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would start by turning the gain down at the rocketfish if it allows that. But if you can't level match your speakers properly with out it clipping, then you are out the cost of that+potentially your speakers. If you wanna pay for that product, well... its your ducats.

Once you adjust both down does it work? Level matched to your whole system? Are you happy with it?

one more time

one more time

Junior Audioholic
No. If the rocketfish amp is clipping, it makes no difference what you do. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Buy the wire.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
If you need wireless for the back speakers, the best approach is to get an outboard transmitter and receiver, the latter of which will connect to a suitable amplifier (compared to what’s in the Rocketfish). The Rocketfish amplifier has low power and horrible specs to boot.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited:
K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the help everyone. I decided I will just get the speaker wire and have a long run. If anyone has advice on whether or not I should have my sr-9040 definitive surround speakers on the side or rear wall for 5.1 surround setup that would be great.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I mounted my rears on the back wall... but its a small room and had little choice. Best would be slightly behind and aimed at the LP... Somewhere between 90-110 degrees (in a 7.x setup, anyway...). I think for 5.x, you want them more behind you a bit(?)... at that point its just room ergonomics... where do they fit the best?...
And with a quick search:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/5-1-setup.html
Same placement as recommended in a 7.x
Hope that helps.
And good call choosing wired set up!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No. If the rocketfish amp is clipping, it makes no difference what you do. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Buy the wire.
It makes a difference if there's a gain adjustment to avoid clipping, tho.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If it can't match the levels of the other channels to begin with. it's a moot point.
Well, he's asking if it makes a difference to change them (I'm imagining he's got them set to max, or possibly there's no adjustment,, don't know).....that's not a good beginning point as one where clipping is barely manageable.....it's different if at that point the remote amp can level match the avr....

Last edited:
one more time

one more time

Junior Audioholic
I based my input here on these first words in his first post:

" I just set it up, but I am having problems with clipping on both surrounds as I approach reference level. No other speakers have this problem and when hard wired the surrounds do not clip ..."

Perhaps I misunderstood something?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I based my input here on these first words in his first post:

" I just set it up, but I am having problems with clipping on both surrounds as I approach reference level. No other speakers have this problem and when hard wired the surrounds do not clip ..."

Perhaps I misunderstood something?
Then he asked about changing the position of the volume on the Rocketfish, indicating he's got it maxed out, so could be clipping the input signal itself rather than the output of the amp with that input signal.....

one more time

one more time

Junior Audioholic
Then he asked about changing the position of the volume on the Rocketfish, indicating he's got it maxed out, so could be clipping the input signal itself rather than the output of the amp with that input signal.....
That's a possibility, but my spidey sense makes me think otherwise. I know those wireless speaker system and they cannot match the output of a "real" receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis