• Thread starter William Lemmerhirt
  • Start date
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So everyone knows there’s a bunch of phone scams going on right? I got a new one today. They’ve called three times so far today, and left a message(transcribed below) that sounds like some old 80’s robot voice. Wtf? Wondering if anybody else got this one from “Alvarado Tx”

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not from that number, but yes. Usually three in the span of 15 minutes. One time they came from three consecutive phone numbers (xxx1, xxx2...) Another day I got no less than 7!
:mad::mad::mad:
I love the very bad English, too. Nice touch.:rolleyes:

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Not from that number, but yes. Usually three in the span of 15 minutes. One time they came from three consecutive phone numbers (xxx1, xxx2...) Another day I got no less than 7!
:mad::mad::mad:
I love the very bad English, too. Nice touch.:rolleyes:
Yeah the bad English VIA crappy 80’s robot voice is just insulting. Thing is, at first I was like, huh, could this actually be a thing? Then I had my coffee and woke up and was like, duh, if it was legit, I would have received a call from an actual person that (probably) would be English speaking from inside the USA. Messed up times. Fukkin phishing scams...

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I've received voicemails (I don't answer if I don't know the number/caller) in what I can only guess to be Mandarin. I wonder what they wanted...

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Boy I got one last week about my LL Bean CC that I could have sworn was a scam but turned out it wasn't. That's the first time I had one I suspected turn out not to be.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
What's really creepy is when they spoof numbers that have the same area code as your phone number.

I had one that was really weird. Dude keeps calling and leaving me voicemails stating that he's doing paving work near me and wanted to let me know.

I have no clue what the point of it is, but he's blocked. If I get a call I don't recognize, and they don't leave a VM, then I block them and report them as spam. I don't usually hear from them again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What's really creepy is when they spoof numbers that have the same area code as your phone number.

I had one that was really weird. Dude keeps calling and leaving me voicemails stating that he's doing paving work near me and wanted to let me know.

I have no clue what the point of it is, but he's blocked. If I get a call I don't recognize, and they don't leave a VM, then I block them and report them as spam. I don't usually hear from them again.
Not just the same area code, but same exchange/prefix....that's when I know for sure that's a scam :) I no longer live in the area code, so that's suspicious to start, but never even knew but one person with the same prefix (also a cell phone)...I think we'd purchased from the same phone store.

My biggest spam caller is an actual company that quoted me for a new roof (and long ago went with someone else)....very persistent and always from the same number, so I'm just amused. They're calling me at least twice a day....but haven't blocked it yet as I want to see how long that person is going to have the job of calling me. :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Not just the same area code, but same exchange/prefix....that's when I know for sure that's a scam :) I no longer live in the area code, so that's suspicious to start, but never even knew but one person with the same prefix (also a cell phone)...I think we'd purchased from the same phone store.

My biggest spam caller is an actual company that quoted me for a new roof (and long ago went with someone else)....very persistent and always from the same number, so I'm just amused. They're calling me at least twice a day....but haven't blocked it yet as I want to see how long that person is going to have the job of calling me. :)
Lol. That's crazy. Twice a day?

Only one I have that's like that is the dude that works for a car dealership I test drove a Nissan at 6 years ago. I still get calls from them. Never bought a car from them. I haven't lived in the area in 3 years.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lol. That's crazy. Twice a day?

Only one I have that's like that is the dude that works for a car dealership I test drove a Nissan at 6 years ago. I still get calls from them. Never bought a car from them. I haven't lived in the area in 3 years.
Yeah, sometimes three! Even on weekends (Saturdays, don't think they've done a Sunday yet). They had cold-called me this spring, and had already planned on getting some roofing estimates as our snowmaggedon this year I think was all my old roof was gonna take. I looked them up on Yelp and the one consistent thing was their use of the phone to harass folk for some time after the quote so was somewhat expecting the phone abuse. :)

I did have an auto dealer chase me for quite a while at one point, but nothing like this!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
1562357679415.png

I don't answer calls from numbers I don't know. It it's important, they can leave a message.

Also, we just moved from the east coast to Texas. We don't have a land line and we use our cell phones exclusively, which still have our east coast area code. Everyone from the east in our contacts list.

Yes, they do seem to spoof numbers from the area code and exchanges.

So, if I get a call from my old area code, particularly with my exchange, it gets ignored.

I do answer calls from local area codes or exchanges and haven't hat one bogus call from them yet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So everyone knows there’s a bunch of phone scams going on right? I got a new one today. They’ve called three times so far today, and left a message(transcribed below) that sounds like some old 80’s robot voice. Wtf? Wondering if anybody else got this one from “Alvarado Tx”
I've not got one of these. I did recently answer a call (for no particular reason, phone roulette) from one of the law enforcement agency telemarketing schemes, and not a local one....that had been a while since I'd run into one of those. Guy I know a long time ago worked in a boiler room that used a few different firefighter/police fraternal sounding organization names....

Always good:

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I've not got one of these. I did recently answer a call (for no particular reason, phone roulette) from one of the law enforcement agency telemarketing schemes, and not a local one....that had been a while since I'd run into one of those. Guy I know a long time ago worked in a boiler room that used a few different firefighter/police fraternal sounding organization names....

Always good:
Loved that Seinfeld episode.:)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Same here but different numbers.
Consumer Reports had a member write that one weekend in May he received hundreds of calls asking what he wanted, or they were rude, etc.
His conclusion, someone spoofed his number.
Interesting that so many would bother to respond.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Robocalling is out of control. Hopefully some of the new measures being looked at will prove effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Sad thing about those is they been getting away with stealing millions of dollars from victims. From what I have read most are coming from India, North Korea, and of course Nigeria. With the help from some good ole USA citizens to help funnel the money back to them. Lol I just got a ring as I type this up, from a spam caller..lol

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Robocalling is out of control. Hopefully some of the new measures being looked at will prove effective.
One could wish. AT&T rolled out their service. Only...if you want the calls ACTUALLY blocked it will cost you $4 per month. Otherwise they will just tell you it's a robocall for free. Thank you AT&T for charging for a service that literally costs you $150 for a programmer to write a few lines of code.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall

Yikes, if they're going to suspend your social security simply tell them you're in the US illegally and presto! Your rights are instantly restored!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
One could wish. AT&T rolled out their service. Only...if you want the calls ACTUALLY blocked it will cost you $4 per month.
With most if not all Panasonic digital cordless phones, you can block a fair amount of unwanted incoming calls, and it doesn't cost you a cent for the feature.

For instance with mines, when you subscribe to the caller display feature, you can block callers and store up to 30 of their phone numbers. You can also block calls without a phone number and even a private call. When a call is received from a blocked caller, the unit rings for a short time while the caller is being identified. If it recognizes the call as unwanted, "Caller blocked" is displayed and the unit sends a busy tone to the caller, and then disconnects the call.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Did you know that if you had pressed on the 1, you might have risked getting a stiff bill from your phone service company in the Thousands of dollars.

There's always a possibility of a very serious situation. We definitely have to stay away from those.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis