Audioholic
I found Dad's old Roberts 770 RTR buried in a closet at my folks house. Apparently, it was made by Akai and has a built-in tube amp and speakers. I haven't tested it yet, because I need to find Dad's old box of reels. He had quite a few as i remember. Doesn't look like it has much value - even in working condition. The thing probably hasn't been used in nearly 40 years. Would it be worth getting it serviced and brought back up to spec?

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I found Dad's old Roberts 770 RTR buried in a closet at my folks house. Apparently, it was made by Akai and has a built-in tube amp and speakers. I haven't tested it yet, because I need to find Dad's old box of reels. He had quite a few as i remember. Doesn't look like it has much value - even in working condition. The thing probably hasn't been used in nearly 40 years. Would it be worth getting it serviced and brought back up to spec?
I would personally be interested in seeing a few pictures of it to get a sense of general condition.
Many times, putting money into restoration of old electronics is more of a trip down memory lane exercise than a practical one. Its value is strictly "up to you" . But, some pic's would help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't remember the Roberts brand myself. Was that a retailer ?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Don't remember the Roberts brand myself. Was that a retailer ?
Roberts are a UK manufacture of portable radios. At the dawn of the transistor era they produced this classic.

They are still UK based and owned by the Glen Simplex group out of Yorkshire. This radio has survived in numerous iterations over about 60 to 70 years now. So the current version has DAB radio, but still looks essentially the same and available in multiple colors.

The OPs recorder is a rebranded Akai machine with cross-field heads.

Almost certainly this machine will now require the restorers hand. I have never been an enthusiast of Japanese tape machines but many are. I really only know Revox and Brenell mainly, but also to some extent the totally mechanical Ferrograph and Vortexion offerings based on the mechanical Wearite deck, but not the solid state logic decks which were a nightmare.

I think your biggest issue will be parts. I would post on Tape Heads, where there are a lot of aficionados of Japanese reel to reel machines, which I am not. I am definitely Eurocentric when it comes to reel to reel tape machines. I cold not begin to estimate the machines value.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Roberts are a UK manufacture of portable radios. At the dawn of the transistor era they produced this classic.

They are still UK based and owned by the Glen Simplex group out of Yorkshire. This radio has survived in numerous iterations over about 60 to 70 years now. So the current version has DAB radio, but still looks essentially the same and available in multiple colors.

The OPs recorder is a rebranded Akai machine with cross-field heads.

Almost certainly this machine will now require the restorers hand. I have never been an enthusiast of Japanese tape machines but many are. I really only know Revox and Brenell mainly, but also to some extent the totally mechanical Ferrograph and Vortexion offerings based on the mechanical Wearite deck, but not the solid state logic decks which were a nightmare.

I think your biggest issue will be parts. I would post on Tape Heads, where there are a lot of aficionados of Japanese reel to reel machines, which I am not. I am definitely Eurocentric when it comes to reel to reel tape machines. I cold not begin to estimate the machines value.
So the one I linked just above?

Audioholic
Thanks fellers. From what I've found so far, the value seems to be around $250.00 -$550.00 on the high end. I remember using it when I was a youngster and it never really worked well, so I'm certain it will need a restoration. Not sure I want to spend any money on it, but it was a cool find at the folks house. Now to find his tapes, which will be challenging to find.

I'm having computer issues at the moment, so I am unable to post photos. Hard drive and RAM is maxed out, I will try to post a photo when I can, but the condition is good +. I will test it when I find the tapes.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks fellers. From what I've found so far, the value seems to be around $250.00 -$550.00 on the high end. I remember using it when I was a youngster and it never really worked well, so I'm certain it will need a restoration. Not sure I want to spend any money on it, but it was a cool find at the folks house. Now to find his tapes, which will be challenging to find.

I'm having computer issues at the moment, so I am unable to post photos. Hard drive and RAM is maxed out, I will try to post a photo when I can, but the condition is good +. I will test it when I find the tapes.
If the condition is good, and you don't want to restore it, then post it on eBay or Audiogon. I would also make the folks on Tape Heads aware and you might get a good offer there with good pictures. It sounds as if this a machine that should definitely be preserved.

Anyhow, I managed to get Lovin's attention with one of my customary cast off remarks. I actually had to research its origins, and found it likely originated on the "Isle of Dogs". If Lovin is still curious I can expound further about "Winning the Toffee Apple". In American I think that would be "Candy Apple.".

Audioholic
TLS Guy: Thanks. I'll need to give it some thought. I know my 16 yr. old nephew would love to have it, though it is a heavy SOB. Might be worth restoring it, depending on the cost, so I can use it until we can make a deal on that B77 you've got! Then I'll give it to him - perhaps.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

TLS Guy: Thanks. I'll need to give it some thought. I know my 16 yr. old nephew would love to have it, though it is a heavy SOB. Might be worth restoring it, depending on the cost and use it until we can make a deal on that B77 you've got!
May be after the holiday I can dig it out. It is in our storage room. When I find it, I will take a look at it, and see if it is restorable. If the main logic chip has failed, which I fear, then we will never find that part. However I don't want to guess. I think I have a service manual for it.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
@1911 There may be a lot of value in the tapes as well, depending on the condition and the material recorded. If you find the tape collection, all the more reason to get the RTR working again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the condition is good, and you don't want to restore it, then post it on eBay or Audiogon. I would also make the folks on Tape Heads aware and you might get a good offer there with good pictures. It sounds as if this a machine that should definitely be preserved.

Anyhow, I managed to get Lovin's attention with one of my customary cast off remarks. I actually had to research its origins, and found it likely originated on the "Isle of Dogs". If Lovin is still curious I can expound further about "Winning the Toffee Apple". In American I think that would be "Candy Apple.".

I did like Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs, but don't remember this being a phrase used.... :) I prefer caramel apple in any case.

OP- Good luck with the treasure hunt in finding your dad's tapes, and hopefully they're in good shape.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis