Ripping music to my hard drive.

P

photographer86

Audioholic
Does anyone recommend software for ripping to Wav or FLAC. Also does the software have a volume leveling feature? I Want to rip as true to what is on my cd without having software apply a volume leveling to it? I see when I look at files that I have ripped into itunes via Apple Lossless that it has a applied a -7db, -4db to some sound tracks. Why is it still doing this even though I have turned off the feature? Anyone with any input would be great! Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I rip with EAC, use Foobar2000 in lieu of crap like iTunes. :)

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I use abcde (a better cd encoder). It's a command line tool that is configurable and will fetch and let you edit metadata. It's really just a front end so you can swap out the bits that do the heavy lifting. I think I'm using cdparanoia for the ripping and ffmpeg for the encoding.

Jim

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I use abcde (a better cd encoder). It's a command line tool that is configurable and will fetch and let you edit metadata. It's really just a front end so you can swap out the bits that do the heavy lifting. I think I'm using cdparanoia for the ripping and ffmpeg for the encoding.

Jim
You sound like someone who could open up a whole new rabbit hole for me... When it came to ripping I'd never done it before and just used the first thing that was suggested to me. I know I have some errors and there's a little audible distortion in one song I listen to a lot. There's a crackling, popping sound at the same spot in the song at every volume, every time. It almost sounds like a speaker malfunction and I thought it was at first.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Jim
Got some links? I searched abcde and the top result is "Abcde, the first five letters of the Latin alphabet, is a rare feminine given name in the United States" which while new to me was no help :)

P

photographer86

Audioholic
Looks like a coders and hackers dream! I like to see Command running! It's like the matrix. I will read about it. Thanks for another optional piece of hardware for the music ripping.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
I like EAC mostly because it has decent error oversampling and it will let you know if the rip is not 100% accurate. It hashes your files and compares them to the Accurip database to see if you're getting the same results as other users. Sometimes I've put up with inaudible errors from damaged discs rather than seek out a pristine disc. Other times I've patched small errors with Cuetools. Regardless, I know which files and discs are absolutely perfect copies.

I have hundreds of discs ripped to FLAC with EAC. I edit the metadata with Foobar to my liking, scan the disc inserts to PDF and copy everything to my NAS. Then I store the discs in a climate controlled location and rarely open them again.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
dBpoweramp, to rip CD's to almost any format, with built-in error check, access to the Discogs, MusicBrainz, freedb, etc. meta-data data base(s) & other features and Mp3tag Editor, to fill in or modify the meta-data, including artwork. A day doesn't go by where I don't use both apps on my PC for my 3.6 TB music collection of MP3's, FLAC & the occasional WAV file(s).

One happy camper

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just downloaded EAC and I'm almost finished with my test rip of a clean audio CD with no scratches. Setup was a breeze and so far the overall experience is easier than Foobar. If the copy is sound, it gets my thumbs up.

P

photographer86

Audioholic
I am gonna play with EAC and I will check out DBpoweramp as well. I'll check out each features. Thanks again for all the programs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just downloaded EAC and I'm almost finished with my test rip of a clean audio CD with no scratches. Setup was a breeze and so far the overall experience is easier than Foobar. If the copy is sound, it gets my thumbs up.
In rips of over over a thousand cds, no issues with EAC results except for when I banged into my laptop during a rip :).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In rips of over over a thousand cds, no issues with EAC results except for when I banged into my laptop during a rip :).
It worked great for me. There was an audible error in one of my songs from the same cd I tested and it's gone in the EAC rip. Actually tempts me to re-rip all of them. Seems like there were more errors shown in the little report at the end with Foobar2000 as well too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It worked great for me. There was an audible error in one of my songs from the same cd I tested and it's gone in the EAC rip. Actually tempts me to re-rip all of them. Seems like there were more errors shown in the little report at the end with Foobar2000 as well too.
Did you match your disc drive to the software with that step in setup? I can get some errors on my worst discs where the repair can take a while....or you can reduce the effort to make it go thru those quicker, too....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you match your disc drive to the software with that step in setup? I can get some errors on my worst discs where the repair can take a while....or you can reduce the effort to make it go thru those quicker, too....
Nope. Just opened it up and started ripping. Didn't mess with any settings, but it (EAC) did give me a report at the end confirming that none of the tracks were less than 99% perfect. Most of them were 100%. I seem to remember more errors with Foobar but figured they'd be inaudible.

I have 1 track of a CD I ripped with Foobar where I noticed an audible crackling noise during one small section of the song "Lateralus", which I know like the back of my hand. The first time I noticed it I had it up pretty loud and thought it was my speakers. Nope, it's the same spot every time. The EAC copy from the same CD is clean.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah there's a step where it matches specific nuances of your pc's optical drive. It was recommended so I did it. Never tried without. I also don't keep the error repair on full as that just takes too much time and didn't notice that it helped particularly on the worst of the discs where it slowed to a crawl.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis