Rip a DVD-A to computer

J

jb5200

Audioholic
Hi Guys,

Is it possible to rip a DVD-A to a computer while keeping its resolution? Is there a software out there that does this or will it just rip in the 16/44.1?

I have a pretty extensive library and have now converted to a networked music system and would like to play the files from my computer versus switching CD's constantly. Also, once it is on my computer can I actually burn it to a Music DVD or will the conversion screw it up? I currently have Easy Media Creator 9 and it allows you to make music DVD's.

Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The only software that I know that can do it is illegal, so....the answer is no, not legally.

phlakvest

phlakvest

Audioholic
Can your media server play vob files? or DVD iso's?
That will only get the dts/dd or pcm track though.

J

jb5200

Audioholic
I don't think so. I have a Yamaha RX-V3800 networked and I use obviously Windows Media unfortunately b/c that's all it reads. I have all of my cd's ripped in WAV but I just started getting into DVD-A for the hi rez.

I have an Oppo 983 but I rarely use it - only for movies. That being said, anyone have any experience with the 983? I have it hooked up analog to use its DAC and it is a little sharp for sound. It is actually smoother when I play music through my computer and let my Yammy DAC take over. I got the Oppo b/c it got rave reviews from a vast majority as a universal player but also an audio player. IMO the sound is very sharp.

Thanks for your suggestions!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I used my 980 for SACD and DVD-A and never found it to be anything but clean. It wasn't quite as refined as my 2900, but surprisingly good for $170. Do you have any tone controls applied on the 3800? On the multichannel input I believe all tone controls and bass management are bypassed.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I think the problem is the high resolution PCM is usually compressed with MLP, Meridian Lossless Packaging which is proprietary. In most cases there is an AC-3 track (aka lossy Dolby Digital) which you can get.

There are libraries out there that can read the audio part of DVD-A but I haven't actually found an open source decoder for MLP. The Wikipedia article on DVD-Audio mentions needing an open source decoder in conjunction with a library to read the audio part but AFAIK there isn't one.

Jim

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis