Ricky Gervais At the Golden Globes

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Has anyone seen his opening monolgue yet? I saw it this morning and now it's a story gaining speed. I applaud him, he didn't pull any punches!

Basically told all of them they should graciously accept their awards, stfu and get off the stage, among other things, ha ha!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
He never does. I don't think it is any secret about how he feels about Hollywood and I agree with him :) They're a bunch of privileged, rich people who live in their own little bubble fantasy world. They may make movies about serious things, but I don't know if they really know what reality is like.

Many others had some good comments about trying to have some real impact too, including Joaquin Phoenix. I really don't like those shows but it is good to recognize a good job. There were some good wins this year, felt like people actually watched the content not just voted for what is popular. The first award was one of the funniest - he walks up and says "I know most of you haven't seen the show...."

One that didn't win any major categories, but I watched it and it was excellent is JoJo Rabbit from the guy who directed Thor: Ragnarok. It is a very odd, but great film, with a similar humor to Ragnarok. I never heard of it before it got nominated. Watch it.

Also happy that Fleabag picked up some awards. It was one of the funniest shows I've watched in a long time.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty typical Gervais humor, but I like it. Don't watch the awards shows (can't either) but was intending to find this today from what I'd read.... thanks for posting it and saving me the trouble :)

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
He's one of my favorite comedians. Love his humor. I hope he'll change his mind and do the Globes again.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Has anyone seen his opening monolgue
Nope. I watched it because you posted it here but award shows or even worse, celebs talking, holds zero interest for me. I enjoy their acting, I mean that's what they're great at but one celeb's opinion of other celebs ... pffft. I'd rather listen to a talking frog.

I got to see enough of Ricky being Ricky in that Idiot Abroad show. I felt bad for the Idiot, always being picked on. Most reality type shows I can tell it's scripted but Ricky's derision seemed real. His focus has shifted to a group better able to pay him back in kind and that I'm interested in seeing ... now that I've seen this.

Thanks for motivating me to search out what the Golden Globes actually are and I also had to look up the dead pedophile. I was vaguely aware of that story. Being this ignorant of current events is a challenge I have risen to with respectable proficiency. *takes a bow*

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nope. I watched it because you posted it here but award shows or even worse, celebs talking, holds zero interest for me. I enjoy their acting, I mean that's what they're great at but one celeb's opinion of other celebs ... pffft. I'd rather listen to a talking frog.

I got to see enough of Ricky being Ricky in that Idiot Abroad show. I felt bad for the Idiot, always being picked on. Most reality type shows I can tell it's scripted but Ricky's derision seemed real. His focus has shifted to a group better able to pay him back in kind and that I'm interested in seeing ... now that I've seen this.

Thanks for motivating me to search out what the Golden Globes actually are and I also had to look up the dead pedophile. I was vaguely aware of that story. Being this ignorant of current events is a challenge I have risen to with respectable proficiency. *takes a bow*
I'm not big on these events either. I certainly never watched them. I caught this story tho and a whole bunch of celebs are pretty pissed off in all the right ways so I looked into it some more.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not big on these events either. I certainly never watched them. I caught this story tho and a whole bunch of celebs are pretty pissed off in all the right ways so I looked into it some more.
Eventually I looked up every name he sh!t on from that podium. You've done more with that video to round out my awareness of 'them' than my 15+ years of being California Sober.

EDIT: The 15 years are probably an equal split sober/Cali sober but it's back to just regular sober as of recently. Especially since we've all witnessed what substance abuse has done to a certain member here. I don't want to mention any names but his initials are Timforhifi. :D

Last edited:
M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
One that didn't win any major categories, but I watched it and it was excellent is JoJo Rabbit from the guy who directed Thor: Ragnarok. It is a very odd, but great film, with a similar humor to Ragnarok. I never heard of it before it got nominated. Watch it.
Thanks for the JoJo Rabbit review. I saw the preview and was intrigued by it. Wasn't able to see it in the theaters since free time is limited. Makes me want to catch it in streaming when available.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Me too, thanks on the Jo Jo Rabbit thing....got distracted last night and forgot to finish looking up how I might see it :) Seems its still in theaters only so far....so will keep an eye out for it.

I think Ricky will probably be back. Golden Globes seems to like his humor....and they customized the cutaway shots to each star pretty much on cue....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He never does. I don't think it is any secret about how he feels about Hollywood and I agree with him :) They're a bunch of privileged, rich people who live in their own little bubble fantasy world. They may make movies about serious things, but I don't know if they really know what reality is like.

Many others had some good comments about trying to have some real impact too, including Joaquin Phoenix. I really don't like those shows but it is good to recognize a good job. There were some good wins this year, felt like people actually watched the content not just voted for what is popular. The first award was one of the funniest - he walks up and says "I know most of you haven't seen the show...."

Also happy that Fleabag picked up some awards. It was one of the funniest shows I've watched in a long time.
I haven't seen Jojo yet, but plan to. He stars and directs another quirky, oddly funny one called "What We Do In The Shadows" from before his Marvel days. It's shot like a documentary or "The Real World" style with vampires and I think it's hilarious. It's on its way to cult status, if not already. It was on Netflix for a while, but I don't know if it still is.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't seen Jojo yet, but plan to. He stars and directs another quirky, oddly funny one called "What We Do In The Shadows" from before his Marvel days. It's shot like a documentary or "The Real World" style with vampires and I think it's hilarious. It's on its way to cult status, if it's not already.

Had saw that it was done by him but never watched it, will have to check it out now. It got a lot of buzz previously. I think he is already firmly cemented as one of my favorite directors already.

It doesn't hurt that JoJo has Scarlet Johansen in it either. Oh, and Taika plays Hitler in the film as well, hilariously "Cigarette?". One of his comments about it: "It is a 10yr old boy, so his Hitler can only know what a 10yr old boy knows."

Up next on our list is 1917.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't seen Jojo yet, but plan to. He stars and directs another quirky, oddly funny one called "What We Do In The Shadows" from before his Marvel days. It's shot like a documentary or "The Real World" style with vampires and I think it's hilarious. It's on its way to cult status, if not already. It was on Netflix for a while, but I don't know if it still is.

Curious, who/what does this guy voice in The Mandalorian?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai

In "Thor: Ragnarok", Korg (voiced by Watiti) asks Thor if he would like to use a big wooden fork as a weapon, then adds it would only be effective if you fought three vampires, huddled closely together - a reference to "What We Do In The Shadows". Fun stuff!

I need to check out Jojo Rabbit!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In "Thor: Ragnarok, Korg" (voiced by Watiti) asks Thor if he would like to use a big wooden fork as a weapon, then adds it would only be effective if you fought three vampires, huddled closely together - a reference to "What We Do In The Shadows". Fun stuff!

I need to check out Jojo Rabbit!
I caught that too! You know it was a reference to that movie, lol.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm gonna see if WWDITS is still on Netflix now. I haven't seen it in a long time and it's high on my like list.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm gonna see if WWDITS is still on Netflix now. I haven't seen it in a long time and it's high on my like list.
I saw about half of that a while ago. Not exactly my thing with the Real World styling but that part about the blood of virgins destroyed me.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis