B

bri1270

Enthusiast
I was just wondering if anyone has tried using coax for speaker wire, and if so, how did it work out?

I think I might give it a shot anyway, just to experiment.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would imagine that you would have so/so results with RG6, but it is designed as a pre-amplified signal carrier. The gauge of the center (core) conductor is pretty darn thin - not sure - what is it, about 22 gauge? It just isn't thick enough to carry the power necessary to the speakers in a decent setup, and the cost isn't a savings over cheap 16 gauge speaker wire for sure, which will provide much better power flow.

RG-6 is excellent for carrying video and audio signals before amplification, but I hope I am not the only one who will suggest that it never be used as actual speaker wire coming out of your amp.

Heck, I'm not even sure how you would cleanly terminate it at the amplifier and the speaker. Pretty tough to get RG-6 into a binding post I would think. A lot of insulation for a teeny-tiny wire in the middle.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Re:rg6

RG6 is a shielded cable used in high impedance circuits. It is sheilded to help eliminate noise. Your speakers are a low Z circuit, and less susceptible to any noise interference. Also as stated above, the conductor is much too small to go any appreciable length.

B

bri1270

Enthusiast
Thanks, Like I said, I was just wondering if anyone ever experimented or if it would be worth it. Personally I use PartsExpress 12AWG for my speakers, but I was making a sub cable with RG6 and thought I'd see if anyone has tried it out as speaker wire.

Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis