S.Scites

S.Scites

Audiophyte
I recently bought a used Yamaha RX-A1070. When I was researching AVR's I came across REW. I was very excited to try it. I play guitar through my computer with a Scarlett Solo so all I needed was some cables and a mic. I got the DaytonAudio EMM-6. I have watched a lot of video tutorials but all I find use a USB mic. I have no idea of how to set up my DAC or mic with ASIO. Sorry I'm so green on the subject. Is there a tutorial out there I have missed? I don't know what to plug into where or any of the software settings.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

What are you trying to do? REW is for measuring frequency response. I can't tell if you're describing trying to play your guitar through your Scarlett into your AVR and out of your speakers?

Very best,

S.Scites

S.Scites

Audiophyte
Hi,

What are you trying to do? REW is for measuring frequency response. I can't tell if you're describing trying to play your guitar through your Scarlett into your AVR and out of your speakers?

Very best,
I just put the guitar part in there to let people know I already have a Scarlett Solo. That's why I went for the Emm6 instead of a USB mic. I want to measure my new Yamaha RX-A1070 to better know how my surround is working inside my living room. I know what REW is used for.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

Ok, so the guitar has nothing to do with this. Good, that's helpful because it was confusing.

So, the EMM-6 is XLR based and has to plug into your ScarlettSolo. The problem with this, is that how you set the S.S. matters and also the calibration of the microphone may not be accurate if the S.S. isn't calibrated. You'd have to research how to effectively calibrate the EMM-6 and the S.S. together as a single input for use for this purpose. This is why REW is focused on a USB based microphone so that a supplied calibration file allows the system to be accurate and calibrated without a user introducing something that will alter the signal (such as your S.S. or any other audio interface). I'm not sure you can use that EMM-6 and an interface without further calibration, so you'll have to research how to calibrate that as a total system (if possible).

If you can get that working, you could do a measure of your mains or each individual channel in your listening position(s) and see what your receiver is doing per speaker. It's confusing when you say "how my surround is working" because that implies you're interested in the surround output and not your mains/sub or anything far more critical and vulnerable to nulls and other room response issues. So what exactly are you trying to measure or see in the measurements? Just the frequency response? Distortion? Decay? Just trying to be clear because you said you know what REW is used for, but it's hard to understand what you're intending to use it for when you say "how my surround is working" for example?

Very best,

S.Scites

S.Scites

Audiophyte
Yes, my bad. I want a better integration with my sub and mains. So I did read up on calibrating my S.S. and the D.A. EMM-6. Quick side note, when I downloaded REW both my S.S. and EMM-6 are on the recommended hardware list. I'm still waiting on a 50 ft. HDMI because I don't have a laptop and my PC is in an adjacent room so I thought I would just play with it and measure my PC monitors. I couldn't even get past the check levels because of horrible feedback I'm guessing because the mic and S.S. are to close together, yet my listening position is you know right in front of my PC. My S.S. resides there as well so I'm not sure I have all the correct cables plugged into the right spots.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
All good,

So if your EMM-6 & S.S. are calibrated and working well with REW, you can use your PC to output either unbalanced RCA or use HDMI or whatever connection that is not high level (amplifed) to your receiver so that REW can send information to the receiver's channels and the sub. If your PC has a DAC that can output line level analog you can use that to send signal to your receiver instead of using HDMI or other digital (though toslink/optical is easy too if your DAC has that output). Your S.S. I think can do this, it's a USB DAC essentially, so REW should be able to send signal to your AVR via the 2x L & R unbalanced outputs on the back of the S.S. at line level. You could plug that into an input on your AVR, like CD in or something, and select that as the input for use to test with. Turn off processing on your AVR and set it to simply stereo or direct or whatever turns off surround DSP/upmixing, etc. And then you'll want to also be ready to tell your AVR that your speakers are large or small and whether or not to use the sub (bass management) or not so that you can control what you're measuring. You may or may not want to turn off any room correction your AVR applied as this will effect signal. So you could measure before (no room correction) and after (with room correction) to see what your room correction actually did.

When you load up REW, instruct it to use your microphone setup and give it the calibration file for the orientation you'll use (straight vs 90 degree). You can get your calibration file from Dayton's website if you don't already have it (it will need to know your serial number for the appropriate calibration file).

You're ready to do some measurements. Load the generator icon and the SPL icon. Set the generator to output "pink noise" and select full range. You can use the SPL meter there to now adjust your SPL until its reference level at the listening position (such as 75db as a common reference level). You're ready to measure. Tell it the range you want to test, such as 20hz to 200hz for your sub, or full range 20hz to 20khz for your mains or whatever. Do that separate or you won't be able to see what your mains and sub are doing individually. This way you can see your room response (especially for low frequencies) and you'll see the drop off of your mains and where your cross over ideally needs to be set. When all done, you can do a full response with your mains and sub to see a summed response in the room. And you could then do the same before/after room correction measurement. You'll find the room correction software of your receiver will do things you may not prefer with your sub.

Very best,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
IIRC the biggest advantage of using a usb mic is not having to deal with the phantom power needed for the non-usb mic....

S.Scites

S.Scites

Audiophyte
I posted this same question on another forum and there was some confusion as to what I'm attempting to achieve. I only mentioned my guitar to state I already own a Scarlett Solo (S.S.) and that's why I went with the DaytonAudio Emm-6 instead of a USB mic. (I know a USB mic would have been easier and yes I have the phantom power button turned on) I want to integrate my sub with my mains better in my home theater. That being said I still don't have a clue. The S.S. only has one XLR, one line level/instrument and a headphone inputs. One the back it only has Left and Right outputs.I understand the software side of things at a basic level enough to make a measurement but my problem is with limited input/output how do I wire or hook everything up?

I figured out the feedback issue I was having. I went into Windows 10 sound control panel and muted everything I wasn't using. Now when I try to level match everything the mic or input level is extremely low even if I ture up the gain all the way I can only get about 45 dB??? By the way, Thanks for responding guys I'm clueless. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis