Review of Intel NUC6i5SYK minature HTPC. Easy reliable streaming for AV

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I just hate button remotes for AV streaming. Those Linux based boxes are slow clunky and glitch prone.

A little over three years ago, I built a state of the art HTPC for my studio/theater at Benedict, based on the Intel Ivy Bridge i5 integrated processor, with some expert advice from 'Bored'. I have just loved this device, and it has become my most used peripheral device.

When in Eagan I really missed not having it. Recently I found out my eldest son was using an Intel i7 NUC for gaming. So I specked out an i5. Now some assembly is required. The NUC is a mother board, and wallwart power supply basically as supplied. Included is built in Wi-Fi.

You need an OS. I bought Widows 10 on a USB memory stick.

Then you need to insert some Ram. I used 16 Gig of Kingston Hyperx Ram. That is linked on the Amazon link above. I used 250 Gig of SSD Samsung 850 EVOM.2. This is also referenced in the Amazon link above.

Last but not least you need a keyboard. I used a Logitech full sized wireless keyboard identical to the one I use at Benedict.

Now you are ready to install the OS and then connect to the Internet. Now update the Intel drivers, and install what programs and tweaks you want.

The unit has one HDMI out, four USB 3.0 ports, two front and two back. It has an Ethernet port and an SD card reader on the side. The power supply is a 19 volt wallwart that can deliver up to 70 watts.

I suppose you would consider this a "Barebones" computer. However this diminutive product is actually full boned with lots of flesh on those bones.

This unit works exactly the same as my large HTPC except it has no disc drive and less USB ports. It also has 250 Gig of hard drive rather than 1 TB.

This little gem is fast and runs cool. There are no fans, so it is noise free. With a unit like this you can stream anything out there. You can also use it just like any other Windows 10 computer.

I have used it this weekend and my wife has as well. She is thrilled with it. It functions identically to my HTPC at Benedict. No more hunting and pecking with hand held remotes for streaming now. The Netfix app works perfectly delivering Dolby Digital sound. It goes without saying that picture and audio quality are superb.

We have also installed the link to the server in the sky I share with my eldest son. This allows for a VPN to get UK TV and radio, mainly the BBC. iPlayer has been installed for downloading programs.

I have been using it intensively this week end, and it has been 100% glitch free.

This unit is thoroughly recommended and an essential accessory for installation on all complete AV systems.

This unit is diminutive.

Here it is with my iphone in front of it.

This new addition now completes this system, which my wife actually uses more than I do. We refer to this as HER system.

So it joins the other peripherals which are a Channel Master dual tuner DVR connected to a roof UHF Yagi-Uda array. This units gets 45 crisp channels at this location at a better quality than Comcast used to deliver. It can record and play back simultaneously or record two programs at once. I will review this superb unit later. There is a Panasonic BD player, which now will only be used for playing discs and a Chromecast device.

All these are connected to a Marantz AV 7701 pre/pro set up in 3.1 configuration. This unit also gets HD FM radio. This room is totally unsuitable for 5.1. The screen is a 52" Panasonic Plasma screen. Only the on/off button is used.

The speakers are 3.5 with two extended range versions of the Dynaudio W75 specifically designed for sealed application. They each are in their own enclosures. The lower one is for BSC and the upper one crosses to a 1" Scanspeak fabric domed tweeter at 3 KHz.

The bass section is an isobarik coupled cavity unit using two 9" Morel subwoofer drivers using one sealed and one ported cavity. So there are four discreet enclosures in each speaker. 3 db points of the bass unit are 27 Hz and 90 Hz. The 3db point of the sealed Dynaudio units is 90 db. The sub drivers are driven to 120 Hz and the Dyanaudio drivers to 90 Hz. The result is a seamless crossover which is largely acoustic.

The center is one 4" full range Jordan Watts metal cone driver in a sealed enclosure that also has an F3 of 90 Hz were it is also crossed.

Power is 1 Quad 909 delivering 250 watts per channel to the top half of the left and right speakers. The center and bass sections are powered from 1 and a half Quad 405 II amps delivering 100 watts to the center and each bass section.

These are very nice speakers and low Q, although the Q of the bass sections is 0.7 in order to obtain the correct bandwidth.

This is a really nice system and ideal for this location.

This diminutive NUC is a perfect addition and will get a lot of use.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
can I dump my cable company with this device? :confused:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

can I dump my cable company with this device? :confused:
This unit is a streaming and download device, it is not a replacement for a cable or satellite TV system.

Basically TV watching comes from over air/cable/sat systems, Internet streams and video discs.

The device I reviewed is a superior device for capturing any stream out there and for downloading what is not copy protected. For instance BBC programs are available for 30 days, for streaming and downloading. They are removed form the hard drive 30 days after broadcast if downloaded.

The Channel Master dual tuner DVR in the right location with a good antenna properly configured is a replacement for cable and satellite services.

I will be reviewing that Channel Master unit is detail shortly. We are not missing Comcast one bit, in fact we have a higher quality system. It has been all gain for us.

So with the DVR, combined with convenient high quality streaming and a good disc player, I don't think there is more you could wish for.

To put this in perspective, this cut of the cable and set up of this first class over air and streaming system has cost 10 months of cable TV service.

I have seen a lot of people trying to do this lately, but they just don't get it right and invariably have an awkward system and give up significant convenience and functionality. As always proper planning, engineering and superior installation can totally negate any sacrifice cutting cable in the right location.

How you go about it and engineer the set up is highly location dependent.

As with all things you have to know your craft.

I will have more to say when I review the Channel Master unit. So stay tuned.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Nice little HTPC, it's amazing what can be packed into a little case these days. It must be running a laptop CPU to be able to be passively cooled like that. What are the CPU temperatures like?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Nice little HTPC, it's amazing what can be packed into a little case these days. It must be running a laptop CPU to be able to be passively cooled like that. What are the CPU temperatures like?
I am actually not surprised. Those Ivy Bridge processors are amazing. One chip does audio and video processing.

The fans I don't think have ever run in my i5 HTPC. It does not get warm at all. This new little box does not even get warm.

For AV streaming and everything HTPC these Ivy Bridge chips are absolutely the way to go. Nothing else can come close.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis