Reversing global polarity to speakers

P

Porcupine

Audioholic Intern
Is there any difference if I connect both of my stereo pair of speakers in reverse polarity, compared to normal?

I have recently done this with my new pairs of 2-way speakers on purpose. I am not sure if I can hear a difference yet, but I did this to match them polarity-wise as best as possible to some other 3-way speakers I have. When playing both types simultaneously there is a HUGE TOTAL difference in the resulting sound. I did this after I recently learned that nearly all speakers wire their drivers in alternating reverse polarity. After some primitive testing I decided that this was indeed true for all the speakers that I owned. The final test, polarity inversion on one pair of speakers and playing simultaneously with another, proved to me what I had tested earlier with different methods.

However I am wondering, is it bad to play speakers with the opposite polarity at which they were intended? My new 2-way speakers' woofers are now inverted polarity...kickdrums on them suck in instead of bang out. Is this going to cause damage to them in the long run? The benefit of what I did is that the tweeters, and midrange frequencies, of both my 2-way and 3-way speakers are now perfectly in-phase.

This phenomena also causes me to wonder if matching 2-way speakers to 3-way speakers in a L/C/R home theatre setup is a good idea. It may work okay in that case due to the speaker positions being separate, and hopefully playing separate sounds. But for certain it is not an ideal situation if you want to play 2 L-speakers and 2 R-speakers, in the same physical positions simultaneously like I did.

If you are talking about a two-channel system, there is no problem, but there should also be no difference. That is, unless your AC is generating some low frequency that is interacting with the bass frequencies in your speakers to produce different nulls and peaks depending upon the phase.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....(currently biting my, "CROSS-WIRED-TWICE-EFFICIENT-PRESENCE-WISE", tongue).....

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis