Revel PerformaBe F226Be and C426Be Loudspeaker Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@shadyJ Can you elaborate more on why the score for dynamic range was 4 out of 5 stars? This concerns me for the home theater application.
The C426Be speakers have a dynamic range that is well above average, but there are speakers out there that have a wider dynamic range, such as some of the offerings from JTR. If you are the type that wants dynamic range above all, you can do better for the money. It's hard to imagine anyone being unhappy with these speakers though, but for those who are trying to exceed THX Reference levels in a large room, they may be happier with something that uses compression drivers.

G

Genso

Audiophyte
Are there other options at this performance tier people here would advocate for home theater use?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Are there other options at this performance tier people here would advocate for home theater use?
At this price point?! Yeesh. ;)

I'd like to see a showdown between the Monitor Audio Golds and these Revel Berylliums. My only experience with MA is the Silver line and I was very impressed. The new Golds that debuted last year are supposed to be legit, and one reviewer (fwiw) described them as being within 85% of the performance of their Platinum line. Subjective, of course, but as more companies trickle down their Flagship technology to lower tiers, I could see hitting a point where the lower tiers become exceptional values. The Golds are outa my reach, but I look forward to seeing what happens when they refresh the Silvers. ;)
I digress...
Most companies have a tier or three that are suitably rare and challenging to attain. KEF fans will rave about the Rs and the References (and the Blades)... Wharfedale, ELAC, PSB... They all have gear that seems well respected. Don't forget about companies like Focal and Canton, too. A side mention for Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and associated kit is worthwhile here.
If you've the patience and interest companies, like Salk Sound and Selah Audio do great work and may be able to deliver some impressive product if you want!

End of the day it comes down to your goals. And likely at these price points, aesthetics. (Which is a shame because I would love to experience the bigger JTRs like the Noesis 215RT!) :D

As a tease, Philharmonic Audio is working on a Tower version of the very well regarded BMR. It will be built around the 8" Revelator from Scan Speak in a MLTL design with an MTM set of the BMR drivers and a Raal 64-10. This ill deliver some serious competition I think to many speakers out there. These are expected to cost possibly in the low-mid $4K range for a pair. Dennis' gear tends to punch well above the pricing and may well give some of these $7K pairs a serious run. ;)

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
As a tease, Philharmonic Audio is working on a Tower version of the very well regarded BMR. It will be built around the 8" Revelator from Scan Speak in a MLTL design with an MTM set of the BMR drivers and a Raal 64-10. This ill deliver some serious competition I think to many speakers out there. These are expected to cost possibly in the low-mid $4K range for a pair. Dennis' gear tends to punch well above the pricing and may well give some of these $7K pairs a serious run. ;)
Then they need to build a MLTL center BMR... just put the tweeter with a mid under then stick the bass driver on either side. Maybe a bit wide but if you’ve got a large projection screen...

T

towerofpower

Audiophyte
We were mightily impressed last year by Revel’s PerformaBe M126Be bookshelf speaker in our review which showed outstanding sound quality married with a high-end luxury styling. It wasn’t the most inexpensive bookshelf speaker we have come across, but we found it to be worth the $4k/pair asking price. In light of our experience with the M126Be, we were excited to see that Revel added more members to the PerformaBe family, a new flagship tower in theF328Be, a more affordable tower in the F226Be, and a center speaker in the C426Be. In for review today we have the F226Be and C426Be towers and center channel speakers, respectively.

READ: Revel PerformaBe F226Be and C426Be Loudspeaker Review
A recommended stand for that beast C426Be would be great!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A recommended stand for that beast C426Be would be great!
I don't see any stands specifically made for the C426Be. I wonder if this thing would work from Revel? You might contact Revel and ask them if that would work for the C426Be. Also, the C426Be has feet that allow it to be placed on any flat surface, and the feet have a way to adjust the angle too. So if you can arrange for a flat surface, they will work on a stand that is wide and deep enough. My own center stand is custom since it has to be placed lower to the floor.

N

nerdoldnerdith

Audiophyte
Any way we can get the dispersion measurements normalized against 0 degrees?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Any way we can get the dispersion measurements normalized against 0 degrees?
Not in the cards. Besides, the on-axis response of these speakers are so flat that normalizing the dispersion to zero on-axis would not change the picture very much.

J

JDM

Enthusiast
I don't see any stands specifically made for the C426Be. I wonder if this thing would work from Revel? You might contact Revel and ask them if that would work for the C426Be. Also, the C426Be has feet that allow it to be placed on any flat surface, and the feet have a way to adjust the angle too. So if you can arrange for a flat surface, they will work on a stand that is wide and deep enough. My own center stand is custom since it has to be placed lower to the floor.
Revel has 2 stands they sell I believe one for C another for Voice 2. The voice 2 is heavier so wonder if it better to try it’s stand on a C426Be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JDM

Enthusiast
Revel has 2 stands they sell I believe one for C another for Voice 2. The voice 2 is heavier so wonder if it better to try it’s stand on a C426Be?

My dealer told me they won’t work ?? Would like to find one, ordering soon.

J

JDM

Enthusiast
Giving up on the Revel’s not avail in Japan and dealer here is no help. Going Sanus Faber.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sonus Faber has always sounded decent to me. Have you looked at Focal speakers? Those are always quite good.

J

JDM

Enthusiast
I did they are alittle too forward for me! Enclosures are kinda big also!

G

gaby95

Audioholic
One thing that bugs me as good as the center is, first piano finish...big issue with projector rooms where I want pitch black and no reflections. And those damn ugly white drivers...so grill will have to stay on and probably still a bit visible.
The c208 also has the piano finish issue for me.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis