Revel M8 as a Surround? Good to Pair with PSB?

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
Looking to round out my HT upgrade. Just purchased LCR speakers from PSB (X1T & XC). Now I need some surrounds. Saw a deal on the M8's on Crutchfield site. Friend raves about Revel. Would the M8's be a good choice for surrounds? I have to place them on the back wall of my media room because I have not wall on one side of the room. It opens up to a bar area.

Would they match up well with my PSB's?

Thanks.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What's wrong with sticking with the PSB speakers in the same family as remains that's what you're supposed to do

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't think it's critical that the surrounds be a brand match with the front stage speakers, so long as the tonality isn't too far off. That being said, I would not use the Revel M8 as a surround. An MTM is not a good design for a surround unless you can mount it at ear level. The vertical response of MTMs are too constrained for the way that surround speakers are usually installed.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
What's wrong with sticking with the PSB speakers in the same family as remains that's what you're supposed to do
I'm way too OCD and yeah, crazy to mix brands except in the case of subs of course. I had RSL speakers for LCR and Def Techs for surrounds for a few weeks before completing the RSL HT and I could not wait to fill it out with the same brand. I agree with you.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
Other than the XB or on-wall, they dont really have much. Plus they are a bit on the expensive side.

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
I don't think it's critical that the surrounds be a brand match with the front stage speakers, so long as the tonality isn't too far off. That being said, I would not use the Revel M8 as a surround. An MTM is not a good design for a surround unless you can mount it at ear level. The vertical response of MTMs are too constrained for the way that surround speakers are usually installed.
Any suggestions then? I was also considering the SVS Elevation or in celling like the RSL's.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Any suggestions then? I was also considering the SVS Elevation or in celling like the RSL's.
SVS elevation speakers would be good. RSL's in-ceilings would be fine for Atmos height channels. But KEF Q150s would be very good for surronds, get them on their current sale. They are a bargain for $300/pair and will not have any vertical lobing artifacts on account of their coaxial design.

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
SVS elevation speakers would be good. RSL's in-ceilings would be fine for Atmos height channels. But KEF Q150s would be very good for surronds, get them on their current sale. They are a bargain for $300/pair and will not have any vertical lobing artifacts on account of their coaxial design.
Are they wall mountable? I dont have much space on either side of the listening area.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis