S

sakete

Audioholic
So I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I'm deciding between the F35 and F36 speaker for primarily a 2ch stereo setup, with maybe a subwoofer as well, but for now I think I'd prefer to stick with a 2ch setup.

The room I'll be placing these speakers in is a long room, part living/family room, part kitchen. The living/family room part is about 11ft x 14ft x 17ft x 8ft (half height divider with kitchen on the other side), with normal height ceilings (I'd guess about 8 or 9ft high). I'll place the speakers along the 11ft wall as that's where the TV is with the right speaker in a corner and the left speaker more open as on the left side the wall just ends and opens up to a hallway. The floor is fully carpeted and

Along the 14ft wall is a fireplace in the middle so that's not a good location to put the TV and stuff (and placing it above the mantle would place the TV too high).

I attached a rough diagram of the layout.

I've only been able to demo the F36 and the F206 and based on that decided that for me the F206 wasn't worth the extra cost as the differences were pretty subtle.

So now I'm debating if I should get the F35 instead as I think the smaller size would look better (and it should sound mostly the same as the F36). But would I be giving up some low-end extension and dynamics by going for the smaller speaker? Alternatively, would the F36 overpower a room of that size? Or would going for a F35 + Sub be the best combination (or is F36 + sub even better?).

20190718_084027_resize.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How much money are you saving?

Yeah, the F36 should give you a little more dynamics and bass.

If it's only $200 difference, I would get the F36.

S

sakete

Audioholic
How much money are you saving?

Yeah, the F36 should give you a little more dynamics and bass.

If it's only $200 difference, I would get the F36.
After dealer discounts I'd be saving $300 total for the pair.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've heard the f36, but most of my experience was with the F208/206.
I'm going on the assumption that the f35 and f36 difference will be similar to the difference in the F206/208....for that size room, with a sub I'd be fine with the smaller f35 as a 2.0 speaker...the F36

S

sakete

Audioholic
I've heard the f36, but most of my experience was with the F208/206.
I'm going on the assumption that the f35 and f36 difference will be similar to the difference in the F206/208....for that size room, with a sub I'd be fine with the smaller f35 as a 2.0 speaker...the F36
The F36 is probably closer to the F206 (I heard them both back to back during a demo). F208 I'd expect to have quite a bit more low end due to the larger woofers. F35 I'd expect to be a step down from F36/F206 in that regard (but other than low-end they should all sound fairly similar).

Oddly, while on paper the F206 is rated down to the low 40s -3db, the F36 (rated to 51hz -3db) sounded a touch fuller down there. Might be because F206 starts rolling off a little bit earlier than the F36 when looking at spin o ramas.

2channel lover

The F36 is probably closer to the F206 (I heard them both back to back during a demo). F208 I'd expect to have quite a bit more low end due to the larger woofers. F35 I'd expect to be a step down from F36/F206 in that regard (but other than low-end they should all sound fairly similar).

Oddly, while on paper the F206 is rated down to the low 40s -3db, the F36 (rated to 51hz -3db) sounded a touch fuller down there. Might be because F206 starts rolling off a little bit earlier than the F36 when looking at spin o ramas.
The dealer didn't have the F36 set up when I demoed the F208/206 so I didn't hear them the same day.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So now I'm debating if I should get the F35 instead as I think the smaller size would look better (and it should sound mostly the same as the F36). But would I be giving up some low-end extension and dynamics by going for the smaller speaker? Alternatively, would the F36 overpower a room of that size? Or would going for a F35 + Sub be the best combination (or is F36 + sub even better?).
You won't give up anything if you are going to have a sub. If not, get the F36. A better alternative imo is to forget the Revel and go for Dennis Murphy's BMR. Those sound unbelievably good, much better than much more expensive speakers, to me anyway.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
My listening room is nearly identical to yours, but your "half height" wall is full height for me. I have a pair of Paradigm Prestige 75F speakers for my fronts, which are also a 2.5 way design with 3 - 5.5" drivers below the tweeter. If I were you, I would purchase the F35 and put the money you are going to save in a jar for a sub-woofer. I do not believe you will be happy with the sound using just the towers (either the 35's or the 36's). In my room, listening with/without the woofer in the mix is night and day. The towers just don't have enough low end. You are going to want to have that solid low end foundation during playback.

S

sakete

Audioholic
You won't give up anything if you are going to have a sub. If not, get the F36. A better alternative imo is to forget the Revel and go for Dennis Murphy's BMR. Those sound unbelievably good, much better than much more expensive speakers, to me anyway.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't like buying speakers I can't demo in a shop somewhere. I know a lot of these online manufacturers offer no hassle returns, but I'll still be out all those shipping costs :) And besides, I'd strongly prefer to have a tower as I prefer the look, and I also have a little kiddo crawling around the place and don't want her to bump a speaker off a stand. Less risk of tower toppling over if she bumps into it :)

S

sakete

Audioholic
My listening room is nearly identical to yours, but your "half height" wall is full height for me. I have a pair of Paradigm Prestige 75F speakers for my fronts, which are also a 2.5 way design with 3 - 5.5" drivers below the tweeter. If I were you, I would purchase the F35 and put the money you are going to save in a jar for a sub-woofer. I do not believe you will be happy with the sound using just the towers (either the 35's or the 36's). In my room, listening with/without the woofer in the mix is night and day. The towers just don't have enough low end. You are going to want to have that solid low end foundation during playback.
Thanks, that's what I was wondering. That $300 I'd save could go to a Hsu VTF-2 MK5, SVS PB-1000 or Rythmik LV12F. The Hsu seems most favourable because of the variable tuning, but the Rythmik seems interesting too because of the Direct Servo driver. The SVS is the smallest out of the bunch. (or do you think a closed subwoofer would be better? It's mainly for music)

2channel lover

I've heard that Dennis is selling thru Salk now...I did see the BMR on Jim's website.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the big question is, do you think you'll be keeping these Revel towers for next 20 years or planning on upgrading in 3 years?

If you are planning on keeping these towers for 20 years, then I say get the F36. $300 difference is nothing over a long period of time.

2channel lover

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't like buying speakers I can't demo in a shop somewhere. I know a lot of these online manufacturers offer no hassle returns, but I'll still be out all those shipping costs :) And besides, I'd strongly prefer to have a tower as I prefer the look, and I also have a little kiddo crawling around the place and don't want her to bump a speaker off a stand. Less risk of tower toppling over if she bumps into it :)
Fair points on demoing...you might have the option of an in home demo...many owners would be more than happy to host a demo....I've done it.

The kiddos...yeah I understand that.

From a performance standpoint...it will be hard to beat the BMRs in the pricepoint though.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
From a performance standpoint...it will be hard to beat the BMRs in the pricepoint though.
This is true. I was shopping towers. The BMRs, even at Salk's pricepoint are truly some of the best I've heard. They easily compete with speaker still another 1K per pr more expensive.
Your concern about kids and standmounts is valid. I knew a guy that got rid of his BMRs on stands for that very reason.
All that said, I wouldn't trade my BMRs for any of the towers I auditioned.
If you contact Jim, he may be able to arrange an audition for you, through Dennis, at a previous customers home. This is how I auditioned Dennis' work. I ordered that night after my audition! :)

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Thanks, that's what I was wondering. That $300 I'd save could go to a Hsu VTF-2 MK5, SVS PB-1000 or Rythmik LV12F. The Hsu seems most favourable because of the variable tuning, but the Rythmik seems interesting too because of the Direct Servo driver. The SVS is the smallest out of the bunch. (or do you think a closed subwoofer would be better? It's mainly for music)
I went with a sealed sub myself (Paradigm). When it comes to ported vs sealed, I'll leave that to others to chime in. I think what's most important is that you have a sub in the set up to give you the low end the towers are not capable of producing. Have fun with your purchase.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would look at SVS PB or PC 2000 at the least. The Hsu VTF2 is a great choice. Rhythmik can be good, but they seem to be best when you get into the aluminum cones rather than the paper cones of the L series... which means looking at the 15" offerings for ported, or 12" for sealed.

S

sakete

Audioholic
I think the big question is, do you think you'll be keeping these Revel towers for next 20 years or planning on upgrading in 3 years?

If you are planning on keeping these towers for 20 years, then I say get the F36. $300 difference is nothing over a long period of time.
I'll probably keep them for a while. I don't think I'd get permission to keep upgrading those, and between all the speakers I demoed (from Monitor Audio, Paradigm, SVS, Golden Ear, B&W, Focal, KEF) the Revels impressed me the most as that midrange clarity is simply amazing. And having heard the F206 next to the F36, they sounded almost the same to me so upgrading wouldn't really be worth it to me unless I would be willing to shell out some serious cash.

I'm probably still leaning towards the F36 overall as on some level if I get the F35 I might always be left wondering if I should have just gotten the F36 instead given the relatively small price difference. And I can always add a subwoofer later. But I need to think about it more and I appreciate all the input everyone has provided here.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
This is true. I was shopping towers. The BMRs, even at Salk's pricepoint are truly some of the best I've heard. They easily compete with speaker still another 1K per pr more expensive.
Your concern about kids and standmounts is valid. I knew a guy that got rid of his BMRs on stands for that very reason.
All that said, I wouldn't trade my BMRs for any of the towers I auditioned.
If you contact Jim, he may be able to arrange an audition for you, through Dennis, at a previous customers home. This is how I auditioned Dennis' work. I ordered that night after my audition! :)
Yeah, especially at 32/33 lbs, his concerns are very understandable.

S

sakete

Audioholic
Well. I've decided to get the F36 after all. I'd probably always be left wondering if I should've gotten the F36 if I were to now get the F35. Price difference is relatively small and I'll plan on getting a subwoofer later this year.

Now I need to decide on which receiver to get :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis