Reuse my busted prosub 600 to build a new subwoofer

H

HarrazH

Enthusiast
Hi All,
I have a busted definitive technology prosub 600, according to dealer or needs a new pcb board Which I can't find anywhere.

I'm planning to buy a new subwoofer ( deciding between svs pb2000 pro and svs sb2000 pro) but I'm trying to figure out a way to salvage anything from the subwoofer I have.

Is there anyway that I can replace the board with another diy or use the components to build a new one?

I'm new to this but would really love to give it a try

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your choices for new subs are very good. If you're used to the prosub 600 you're in for a treat. Altho I'd want ported. Why the SB2000 pro and not the PB2000 pro?

As far as fixing it goes you can buy an amp with DSP capabilities (Behringer comes to mind, but there are others) and some measurement gear to help dial it in, but I don't really think it's worth it. Those prosubs aren't the best to begin with. You're going to find that out soon with your upgrade path.

H

HarrazH

Enthusiast
Thanks Porge for your advice.

I'm thinking of the sb2000 because I want a better listening experience for music.. That conclusion I got from some reviews I read since that I don't have the option to listen to both where I live. (I got the initial recommendation from another forum post)

As for why I want to salvage it is because I have the rest of the set (procinema 600) and I was planning to fix and move the whole set to a different room after I upgrade the whole system which I'm in the middle of it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks Porge for your advice.

I'm thinking of the sb2000 because I want a better listening experience for music.. That conclusion I got from some reviews I read since that I don't have the option to listen to both where I live. (I got the initial recommendation from another forum post)

As for why I want to salvage it is because I have the rest of the set (procinema 600) and I was planning to fix and move the whole set to a different room after I upgrade the whole system which I'm in the middle of it.
Okay, the sealed vs ported for music debate is really a myth. Set up properly a well designed ported sub is just as good for music as a sealed sub. I think this perception was started way back when a lot of ported subs just weren't designed very well. With today's tech and computer modelling they've pretty much licked the group delay issue. SVS know how to make subs and they're one of the best in the game. I'm a music first guy too, use ported subs and they sound awesome. The only advantage with a sealed sub nowadays is size. If you have size constraints then sometimes sealed is the only way to go. Otherwise I would always go with a ported sub.

If you really wanna salvage that sub you can, but for the money I'd rather just get a new one on the cheap.

That sub will outperform the 600 pretty handily and I don't think it costs any more than it would take to fix that DefTech sub. DefTech doesn't make bad speakers, but they just aren't very good at subwoofers.

H

HarrazH

Enthusiast
Okay, the sealed vs ported for music debate is really a myth. Set up properly a well designed ported sub is just as good for music as a sealed sub. I think this perception was started way back when a lot of ported subs just weren't designed very well. With today's tech and computer modelling they've pretty much licked the group delay issue. SVS know how to make subs and they're one of the best in the game. I'm a music first guy too, use ported subs and they sound awesome. The only advantage with a sealed sub nowadays is size. If you have size constraints then sometimes sealed is the only way to go. Otherwise I would always go with a ported sub.

If you really wanna salvage that sub you can, but for the money I'd rather just get a new one on the cheap.

That sub will outperform the 600 pretty handily and I don't think it costs any more than it would take to fix that DefTech sub. DefTech doesn't make bad speakers, but they just aren't very good at subwoofers.
This is interesting.

I totally forgot about the size factor, I'm planning to have it in the living room so size matters :)

Also which is more forgiving when it come to location? I don't have much places for either subs unfortunately!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

HarrazH

Enthusiast
Your choices for new subs are very good. If you're used to the prosub 600 you're in for a treat. Altho I'd want ported. Why the SB2000 pro and not the PB2000 pro?

As far as fixing it goes you can buy an amp with DSP capabilities (Behringer comes to mind, but there are others) and some measurement gear to help dial it in, but I don't really think it's worth it. Those prosubs aren't the best to begin with. You're going to find that out soon with your upgrade path.
Would a subwoofer plate amp work?

If so, then what specs should I look for other than dimensions?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

Just buy the sub he linked you to earlier. It will in all likelihood be better than the def tech sub. There's no need to keep it, if it's old enough that the amp went, it's old enough that something else might go too.

If you really really are dead set on keeping it for some reason, have you reached out to Definitive Technology themselves on availability of the part? It seems that the full kit is still in production, so they should be able to help you out.

H

HarrazH

Enthusiast
Just buy the sub he linked you to earlier. It will in all likelihood be better than the def tech sub. There's no need to keep it, if it's old enough that the amp went, it's old enough that something else might go too.

If you really really are dead set on keeping it for some reason, have you reached out to Definitive Technology themselves on availability of the part? It seems that the full kit is still in production, so they should be able to help you out.
I live in Dubai where there is not much variety in options and high prices, i can buy any used one from the market as looks like i can easily get the same if not a better quality from what i understand.

I don't have my heart set on fixing, it was more of a project to help me better understand how it works.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Your sub is an ABR sub, so it will not need DSP. According to specs you need a plate amp of 250 watts or a little higher. So this one would work..

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I live in Dubai where there is not much variety in options and high prices, i can buy any used one from the market as looks like i can easily get the same if not a better quality from what i understand.

I don't have my heart set on fixing, it was more of a project to help me better understand how it works.
Are you able to get things from parts express? Is that why you're looking at them for amps? The Dayton subs are also sold through parts express.

H

HarrazH

Enthusiast
Are you able to get things from parts express? Is that why you're looking at them for amps? The Dayton subs are also sold through parts express.
I can order from the US, but subwoofer a are very heavy so shipping costs will be very high, that's why I'm looking at lighter components.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis