Retrofit an Old Flagship A/V Receiver or Upgrade?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
A reader wrote in asking whether it was possible to breathe new life into his aging Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amplifier/ AV Processor. The Yamaha in question is a Flagship 5.1 model from the Dolby Digital/DTS era with two additional channels for proprietary DSP post processing effects. It lacks HDMI inputs and the latest TrueHD/DTS-HD decoding, networking and all of the other bells and whistles we've come to expect from modern AVRs. We outline the reader's options, including buying a separate pre/pro and treating the DSP-A1 as an amplifier only, or moving the Yamaha to a second system where it's shortcomings aren't an issue and its excellent amp section and DAC's can still be used for a high fidelity experience.

Retrofit an Old Flagship AV Receiver or Upgrade?

What would you do?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think it's definitely a good idea to use your old AVR as an amplifier. This reduces the heat generated by the current AVR doing the processing which prolongs its life and reliability. Also, for ridiculous AVRs with 9 or 11 amplified channels, you can swing a chunk of those from the pre-amp to an older AVR, which will reserve more wattage for all channels.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
While New AVR could offer much better overall solution, UMC-200 would be my other suggestion but, just for sake of argument one does not have to get an expensive pre-pro just to get the needed functionality and could potentially get away with cheaper solution such as this little guy:
HDMI LPCM 7 1 5 1 Multi Channel Audio Decoder Amplifier | eBay

and get HDMI switch if more input ports needed - as cheap as this tiny box - 3X1 Mini HDMI® Switch - Monoprice.com

And of-course for 7 or 9 channels you'd need to purchase additional amps to amplify additional channels pass the 5 and match the volume level

TL;DR :
Bottom line - if you need 7 or 9 - get a new AVR :)
If you ok with 5 - get a UMC-200 or the boxes I mentioned above

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
That particular Yamaha has an unusual feature that would be most useful in this situation: Direct inputs for the front three channels.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
As a long-time DSP-A1 owner, I've have contemplated the "upgrade vs. modify" scenario several times (most recently with the pending arrival of Dolby Atmos). For various reasons, I have opted to KEEP my A1; it's a great "stereo mode" amp in addition to it's (once) ground-breaking DSP modes. In my case, the upgrade path is gated by my NON-HDMI HDTV (component inputs only) which handles legacy inputs very well due to the fact that it's a TUBE (remember those?). As new receivers DROP their legacy inputs (the new Yamaha line finally removed S-Video inputs) as well as tape loops, LD RF de-mods (remember THOSE), etc., your display choices become critical. As long as my Princeton monitor works (and looks) as good as it does, I'll probably hold out for affordable OLED displays and stick with what I've got on the audio side until I make the HDMI conversion.

K

Kursun

Enthusiast
While New AVR could offer much better overall solution, UMC-200 would be my other suggestion but, just for sake of argument one does not have to get an expensive pre-pro just to get the needed functionality and could potentially get away with cheaper solution such as this little guy:
I have a similar problem with an old but good receiver.
I think that the device you gave link to, and many similar ones,
• Bypass and transfer the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio bitstream signals directly to the HDMI out without any processing
• Decode LPCM 7.1 signals and output to analog outputs. (I think my receiver already has this capability.)
• Direct the Dolby Digital and DTS signals to its optical output.

So it does not seem to be the solution.
I wonder if there is a reasonably priced device on the market that accepts HDMI, decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio bitstream signals and output 7.1 analog signals.

D

Drifter

Audioholic Intern
A reader wrote in asking whether it was possible to breathe new life into his aging Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amplifier/ AV Processor. The Yamaha in question is a Flagship 5.1 model from the Dolby Digital/DTS era with two additional channels for proprietary DSP post processing effects. It lacks HDMI inputs and the latest TrueHD/DTS-HD decoding, networking and all of the other bells and whistles we've come to expect from modern AVRs. We outline the reader's options, including buying a separate pre/pro and treating the DSP-A1 as an amplifier only, or moving the Yamaha to a second system where it's shortcomings aren't an issue and its excellent amp section and DAC's can still be used for a high fidelity experience.

Retrofit an Old Flagship AV Receiver or Upgrade?

What would you do?
I purchased my DSP A1 in 1999 and I purchased my LG 62" Plasma television in 2014. There are no connectivity problems. The television has 1 optical audio output, and the DSP A1 has about 8 optical inputs. It does not require HDMI for compatibility. The Yamaha DSP A1 -- from my cold, dead hands!

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm still using my Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro which I purchased 16 years ago. This unit still satisfies, that's to say, I do not perceive that upgrade or replacement will inspire my HT experience. After all, if the upgrade does not have a meaningful benefit, what's the point. The only thing I've recently contemplated is an OPPO 105. It would allow me to listen to multi channel SACDs, as well as get more up to date multi channel processing, which I can route to my multi channel analog preamp (Sony TA-P9000ES). I purchased that amp about 16 years ago too, but only installed it a few years ago after realizing the benefit of connecting it to my Panasonic Bluray Player's analog outputs. Bottom line, don't replace unless it stops working and can't be fixed. Instead, just add an Apple TV or Airport Express to integrate a laptop into your HT for network entertainment and convenience,

BTW, it seems to me that the latest HDMI stuff effectively precludes recording or copying. I have no need, or desire to copy any material; but, sometimes, having a copy rather than playing from laptop would be a godsend.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If he has the money ($500), I say just buy a new mid-level AVR. There are great deals out there - 50% off brand new models when new models are released.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis