resolving a pop sound in our speakers

A

aforward

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>We have a Marantz receiver and Tannoy 5.1 speakers.

Our speakers 'pop' when you use them - and our system is good enough that this really should not be happening.  I am looking for any advice on trouble-shooting this situation.  The rest of this post will describe more about our current situation - and what we have done so far to try and resolve it.

Your help is much appreciated

``````````````

The speakers and receiver were purchased from different stores.  We had the receiver replaced and the audio store tested the speakers and they said they found nothing wrong.

I've been told the situation is called 'clipping' and has to do with power issues.  The original suggestion was to turn the sound down (it wasn't that loud - certainly no where near as loud as the demo they provided us at the store) as well as look at the leveling.  We put the leveling to 6db, but should that be +6 or -6?  

Maybe it's the cabling that came with speakers?  I think everything is tight and well connected.  Do any of you have a website that shows how to connect cabling properly?  Would poor  cabling cause a pop?

We are also going to take a look at the base levels - but the current receiver we are using was actually a floor model - so everything was already configured (we double checked the info relating to our situation... but all in all we was setup).

We are going to try the speakers with another receiver and vice vera.  But any thoughts on why speakers make a pop sound would be much appreciated.</font>

A

aforward

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Interesting - not sure.

I know that my cellphone would crackle my computer's speakers the second before someone calls - but I never noticed it causing problems otherwise.

Can a cellphone just naturally cause problems - or is it only when a call is incoming?</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis