Replacing RZ830 Onkyo lost a customer

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Been happy with my 830 in the main HT. Using an Onkyo TX RX710 upstairs. I have had 2 Pioneers, a Yamaha, a Denon and three Onkyos over the years. Never had an issue with any of them. I guess I have been fortunate in that respect.
Some guys have all the luck. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
One thing good about accessories4less, at least in my experience, is that their sales people are not drones answering the phone. They are people that know a fair amount about their products. So call them and talk to them about the extended warranty. Ask if they think it's a good idea and how well it works. That is a nice thing about dealing with a company that only handles audio gear.
IME, A4L has always been fair and professional people to do business with.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
It’s no Onkyoneer or DM.

Now it’s Marantz-Onkyo-Pioneer-Denon = MOPD (Microcephalic Osteodysplastic Primordial Dwarfism). :eek::D
HA! I've read some very positive reviews regarding the Marantz SR line (mainly 6012, 7012 etc..) I liked the way it sounded in best buy, but again, I didn't have Yamaha to directly compare to it (the had their lower line that i wasn't interested in.) I just hope for their sake because SU acquired Onkyo that it doesn't have a negative impact on DM products. Denon to me sounded no different than the old RZ 820 i once had. I had no issues with it (luck i guess) to me it wasn't worth the price/performance ration over the Onkyo. The SR6012 I listened to definitely sounded better for music than anything they had (Onyko, Denon, Pioneer, lower line yamaha....) But again I couldn't compare Aventage line which i'd love to have done. Ultimately It boils down to Marantz SR Line (preferably a 7012) If not, I'd settle for a 6012, save the money doing so and add a dedicated amp eventually. Or I just grab the a2070 at 140WPC and just call it a day. tough decisions....:eek::eek::eek:

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
One thing good about accessories4less, at least in my experience, is that their sales people are not drones answering the phone. They are people that know a fair amount about their products. So call them and talk to them about the extended warranty. Ask if they think it's a good idea and how well it works. That is a nice thing about dealing with a company that only handles audio gear.
IME, A4L has always been fair and professional people to do business with.
I'm definitely calling them first thing tomorrow morning. That's very good to hear. I prefer giving my business to a company like that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They may not bench check it before shipping?
No, they come sealed from the refurbishing center the brand uses. A4L just sells them. Whether the refurbishing center did or not, or if the shipments from the refurbisher to A4L to me were subject to rough handling....hard to know.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
No, they come sealed from the refurbishing center the brand uses. A4L just sells them. Whether the refurbishing center did or not, or if the shipments from the refurbisher to A4L to me were subject to rough handling....hard to know.
Yes, whoever did the refurbishing or repair itself did not benchtest. How could it break for the same issue to be there during a shipping period.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, whoever did the refurbishing or repair itself did not benchtest. How could it break for the same issue to be there during a shipping period.
I think they'd probably need specific reason to route it for a full bench test just to keep costs down. Many are simply returned goods within the initial purchase return period from what I've read. However, having been in the shipping business and when you're shipping each of these in it's own carton (with decent packaging, but not great, on the ones I got), anything is possible as far as how much shock might be delivered in transit...and there was this tech that said the board style on the 4520 was unique and could be dislodged during shipping...he called it a design defect. Dunno if he knew what he was doing, tho.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
So i called A4L today and the sales rep explained the warranty is the exact same as the manufactures in terms of repairing and sending it back. Hassle free, no deductible. Good to know. However, when he asked which speakers I had i explained they were Bowers and Wilkins towers and he recommended i paired them with the Pioneer SCLX 701.... Any thoughts on this? The class D seems very efficient. I'm wondering how the sound quality would be? they use SABRE dacs like Yamaha.... @AcuDefTechGuy i can get a 701 for 799. I know Onkyo left a bad taste, but from what I've read this is more Pioneer in these units than Onkyo...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So i called A4L today and the sales rep explained the warranty is the exact same as the manufactures in terms of repairing and sending it back. Hassle free, no deductible. Good to know. However, when he asked which speakers I had i explained they were Bowers and Wilkins towers and he recommended i paired them with the Pioneer SCLX 701.... Any thoughts on this? The class D seems very efficient. I'm wondering how the sound quality would be? they use SABRE dacs like Yamaha.... @AcuDefTechGuy i can get a 701 for 799. I know Onkyo left a bad taste, but from what I've read this is more Pioneer in these units than Onkyo...
The owner of A4L in his postings on one of the FB groups does like the Pioneer avr amp sections, wouldn't surprise me he's got the crew pushing them accordingly....he came up with a goofy explanation as to why when I pressed (went on about how large speakers are hard to drive which was kind of goofy as a generalization) but he's a salesman and I usually don't take sales people's recommendations over my own research. Many are very happy with the SQ of the Pioneer avrs, tho, I wouldn't worry about that aspect. The only Pioneer avr I bought several years back failed just after warranty (and before they used class D and was more an hdmi board issue). I also had an older Onkyo go thru the hdmi/network board issue but Onkyo did stand up eventually and extend warranty to take care of that series of avrs. The financial situation of Onkyo/Pio was kind of sketchy IMO towards the end before selling out to Sound United. Personally I'm more a fan of D&M avrs.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
799 for the LX701 seems like a great deal if it comes with a full manufacturer warranty. It is a refurbished unit right? Sound quality should be fine, but apparently the DSP does not handle cross format upmixing such as Dolby D+Neural X or DTS-HD+DDS (I'm not entirely sure about this). Looking at the specs, it seems comparable with the Yamaha RX-A3070. If it in fact does not do cross format upmixing, then for $799 I would go with a brand new AVR-X4400H that is only slightly less powerful.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
The owner of A4L in his postings on one of the FB groups does like the Pioneer avr amp sections, wouldn't surprise me he's got the crew pushing them accordingly....he came up with a goofy explanation as to why when I pressed (went on about how large speakers are hard to drive which was kind of goofy as a generalization) but he's a salesman and I usually don't take sales people's recommendations over my own research. Many are very happy with the SQ of the Pioneer avrs, tho, I wouldn't worry about that aspect. The only Pioneer avr I bought several years back failed just after warranty (and before they used class D and was more an hdmi board issue). I also had an older Onkyo go thru the hdmi/network board issue but Onkyo did stand up eventually and extend warranty to take care of that series of avrs. The financial situation of Onkyo/Pio was kind of sketchy IMO towards the end before selling out to Sound United. Personally I'm more a fan of D&M avrs.
I'm still sketchy about Pioneer with what i just went through with onkyo. He ensured my towers would be better suited to PIO than the yamaha 2070.... I don't see how? He also said it would sound every bit as good as the marantz SR line.... I can't directly compare them with the yamaha. It comes with 1 year with the option to extend it 4 years for 70 bucks or so. @PENG I just want to get a unit that will make my towers come alive for music/movies equally. I was torn between the a2070 or the sr 6012 and up. They sound decent with the 90wpc 10 year old unit on them now. But nothing WOW

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm still sketchy about Pioneer with what i just went through with onkyo. He ensured my towers would be better suited to PIO than the yamaha 2070.... I don't see how? He also said it would sound every bit as good as the marantz SR line.... I can't directly compare them with the yamaha. It comes with 1 year with the option to extend it 4 years for 70 bucks or so. @PENG I just want to get a unit that will make my towers come alive for music/movies equally. I was torn between the a2070 or the sr 6012 and up.
In pure direct, I bet they will sound the same (except to those who are more prone to Placebo) as long as they are used well within their output power limit. So I think the rep is right, on that point anyway.:D If you prefer Marantz go with the SR7012, that is a X4400H with HDAM + multichannel analog inputs.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The SR6012 is just a little less powerful than the SR7012 and AVR-X4400H, so if the price is good, go for it.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
QUOTE="PENG, post: 1321073, member: 6097"]The SR6012 is just a little less powerful than the SR7012 and AVR-X4400H, so if the price is good, go for it.[/QUOTE]

Does the HDAM actually do anything in terms of sound quality? Or is it nothing more than marketing jargon? I think Fry's has the x4400h right now for 719.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
That makes sense to push them units. He tossed the whole "better act fast! we only have 5 left" at me. At that point i started to think I'll still probably steer clear of them and choose between Yam or DM

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I don’t trust Onkyo or Pioneer now that they are associated with Onkyo, especially for Refurbished AVR.

As I’ve said before, I don’t buy refurbished. But if I were to, I would buy a brand that I feel has the best reliability history.

Like if I were to buy a used car, it would be a Lexus since Lexus has the best reliability history. :D

I am confident the Yamaha A2070 series will be great with any speakers.

I think it’s ridiculous to think that B&W would pair better with Pioneer AVR than any other brands.

I used to own the B&W 802D2 and Revel Salon2.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Personally I don’t trust Onkyo or Pioneer now that they are associated with Onkyo, especially for Refurbished AVR.

As I’ve said before, I don’t buy refurbished. But if I were to, I would buy a brand that I feel has the best reliability history.

Like if I were to buy a used car, it would be a Lexus since Lexus has the best reliability history. :D

I am confident the Yamaha A2070 series will be great with any speakers.

I think it’s ridiculous to think that B&W would pair better with Pioneer AVR than any other brands.

I used to own the B&W 802D2 and Revel Salon2.
Which unit did you like paired with BW? I'm really a big fan of their speakers. I really like the Yamaha units, at the same time, as I've stated above, fry's has a new Denon x4400h for 719 which seems like a bargain. I just want a unit to bring these towers to life. Mostly musically but movies also... I have had the same denon i sent back to keep my old Onkyo 820. However; I compared them in direct mode only (like an idiot) rather than calibrating their room acoustics and then testing the speaker sound. Probably a mistake on my end. The denon could have very well sounded better fully calibrated but i wouldn't know...

There's a reason Lexus is reliable (Toyota).:cool:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What a mess would it be if all these units had drastically differences in sound quality? In basic mode is one thing, using a particular flavor of eq/dsp is another....

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
What a mess would it be if all these units had drastically differences in sound quality? In basic mode is one thing, using a particular flavor of eq/dsp is another....
So in other words i should flip a coin and grab which ever one I've labeled for that side of the coin?

I may just grab the denon at 719 new and call it a day. I'm still spending my day watching videos and reading about them..... I'm taking it too far lol :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis