Replacing Oppo UDP 205 with new AV DAC/network streamer/receiver

R

Rawlit

Audiophyte
Hello all,

First post for me here, I'm looking for advice on a network streamer/ receiver to replace my Oppo 205

I don't necessarily need a blue ray/CD player as much as a network streamer capable of managing hdmi I/O, music streaming from spotify and tidal and connection to my Android TV and projector with WiFi capability

I value sound quality over functionality, possibly would want to stay within same if not better performance of my Oppo

Thank you!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hello all,

First post for me here, I'm looking for advice on a network streamer/ receiver to replace my Oppo 205

I don't necessarily need a blue ray/CD player as much as a network streamer capable of managing hdmi I/O, music streaming from spotify and tidal and connection to my Android TV and projector with WiFi capability

I value sound quality over functionality, possibly would want to stay within same if not better performance of my Oppo

Thank you!
What AVR are you using?

The newer Denon AVRs with the HEOS app are pretty dang nice and convenient. Streaming from the SD card on my phone to the AVR is tough to beat for convenience.

Beyond that, I like an RPi streamer, but that is not a plug and play solution, and may not check all your boxes.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Is it just audio streamer you want or video also (like netflix/disney+)?
Might be good to keep the oppo to play discs, its a real nice player and just add what you need in addition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So you're using the 205 as a pre/pro to an extent but want streaming apps in addition basically? You do or don't want a disc player, or are just going to use the 205 for that?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello all,

Thank you!
That would be a tall order. I have not seen any product that could offer better "sound quality" than the Oppo 205, based on bench test measurements. Yes there could be quite a few DACs that measured a little better but can anyone hear the difference between 0.00018% THD+N and 0.0001%? And I have not seen any streamer that measured better than the Oppo so far, may be I missed one or two..

Below is what the reviewer said about the Oppo:
ASR review UDP-205
"There is no getting around it: the Oppo UDP-205 nails the measurements and almost across the board beats its competitors. It delivered the best measured performance of any DAC I have tested to date! Of course it earns my strong recommendation."

That was two years ago, since then there have been many DACs that measured better on the same test bench, but I don't recall any network streamers being one of them that beats the Oppo.

If I need another dedicated streamer, I would probably go on the cheap and just grab the Yamaha WXC-50, that should "sound" as good as anything regardless of price.

L

LouM

Audiophyte
Hello all,

Thank you!

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Stream from your computer to the OPPO via HDMI. Done deal!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis