Replacement for Denon-788

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you calculate your cost in Canadian dollars, adding the shipping, duties and all that crap,
you can end up close to $3,300 cdn.

Bob
I think he would have to have them shipped to an U.S. address.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyway, my budget is flexible around $3000 CAD. I'm not sure if it would be enough for good pre-amp and amp or a good receiver. If not, i guess i might have to go with the sub.
If there is too much trouble getting the Onkyo and Emo shipped to an U.S. address first and then to Canada, you may want to consider a semi separate system. Examples of such system would be:

Denon AVR-3808 or Yamaha RX-V1900 or +Parasound 5125 (5X125W) or Adcom GFA-5503 (3X200W) or GFA-7605 (5X125W, refurbished by Adcom.

http://www.adcom.com/direct.aspx#43 it says US destination but they do ship to Canada.

These systems should fit within your budget. Even if you go for a 3 channel amp for now, either of the receivers can power your surround channels until you are ready to purchase another 2 channel amp. At that time you have the option to buy a much more powerful or higher end amp for serious stereo music listening via the front speakers.

Adcom refurbished will ship to Canada.

R

romantic

Junior Audioholic
If there is too much trouble getting the Onkyo and Emo shipped to an U.S. address first and then to Canada, you may want to consider a semi separate system. Examples of such system would be:

Denon AVR-3808 or Yamaha RX-V1900 or +Parasound 5125 (5X125W) or Adcom GFA-5503 (3X200W) or GFA-7605 (5X125W, refurbished by Adcom.

http://www.adcom.com/direct.aspx#43 it says US destination but they do ship to Canada.

These systems should fit within your budget. Even if you go for a 3 channel amp for now, either of the receivers can power your surround channels until you are ready to purchase another 2 channel amp. At that time you have the option to buy a much more powerful or higher end amp for serious stereo music listening via the front speakers.

Adcom refurbished will ship to Canada.
I would have trouble getting things ship to US first before Canada for sure but if it's worth it, i think i can manage to get it done.

Parasound design is so beautiful especially for Halo product lines and the 5125 is not bad either, but I kind of like the idea of Adcom that they allow to trade-in product. i'm not sure if i can trade-in my denon and get a refurbished one tho. Anyway, getting a semi seperate system will be much easier for me quite obvious, but if the shipping isn't a problem, should i go with the real separate system?

Btw, it took me sometime to think this through but i now understand why you recommend 3 channel amp :p

J

Jose Merino

Audiophyte
Try the new Yamahas

I love the denon sound but I feed the Yamaha power is cleaner and all the high end receivers have a great phono stage as well, big plus

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I love the denon sound but I feed the Yamaha power is cleaner and all the high end receivers have a great phono stage as well, big plus
Hey Hi Jose, and a Big warm Welcome to Audioholics. :)

I agree with you, Yamaha sound is clearer in general than the Denon more reserved sound.
It also depends of what speakers you are using them with.
[Bright speakers with the Denon, and Smooth speakers with the Yamaha.]

True, the Yamaha, Denon and all other flagship models have a great Phono section,
usually in most cases.

Cheers man,
Bob

R

romantic

Junior Audioholic
Since all of my speakers have the option for bi-wiring, should i get 5 or 6 channel amp so i can biamping? or getting a good powerful 3 channel amp is good enough?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Since all of my speakers have the option for bi-wiring, should i get 5 or 6 channel amp so i can biamping? or getting a good powerful 3 channel amp is good enough?
With your room being "odd" , get the avr with the features you need and an amp like the emotiva xpa 3 and you will be set for a while. Your sub selection should provide that extra umph that you want

R

romantic

Junior Audioholic
With your room being "odd" , get the avr with the features you need and an amp like the emotiva xpa 3 and you will be set for a while. Your sub selection should provide that extra umph that you want
what would be the pros/cons between getting avr and getting pre/pro separate?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis