Replacement for a PDR-10

Joliet_Tech

Joliet_Tech

Audiophyte
I have a PDR-10 that is 20 years old and the driver mounting is shot. It is barely connected to the rubber mounting material. Reconeing the driver will cost about $250 (from Paradigm) so I am considering alternatives. Specifically, what would be a NEW (not newest) Paradigm sub. I cannot spend much $ on this.

Anyone with a vendor who might offer a replacement driver would be of interest as well.

Thanks

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Since you didn't mention your actual budget,I'd take an estimated guess.
On lower scale of effort/cost would be new Dayton SUB-1200 sub and on a bit, higher (but better sub) would be this pe kit: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-10-reference-series-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7091. Besides a wood glue, paint, you would also need to add price for an amp which isn't included.
Cheapest power would probably come from BEHRINGER KM750 - open box on Amazon is $200. You could use basically almost any 250-600W amp into 4ohm

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I have a PDR-10 that is 20 years old and the driver mounting is shot. It is barely connected to the rubber mounting material. Reconeing the driver will cost about $250 (from Paradigm) so I am considering alternatives. Specifically, what would be a NEW (not newest) Paradigm sub. I cannot spend much $ on this.

Anyone with a vendor who might offer a replacement driver would be of interest as well.

Thanks
Is it the surround or the cone that is the issue? I had the same sub years ago and the surround I replaced for under $20.00. Worked like a champ.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
I had the same thing happen to my PDR-12 and bought a new/replacement driver at my local audio/video store. I paid $75.00US for it and it works perfectly. I no longer use the sub as I replaced it with a SVS SB3000 but I still have it and may use it in another room or give it to a family member that may need it. As long as the electronics works it is worth repairing.

Joliet_Tech

Joliet_Tech

Audiophyte
Is it the surround or the cone that is the issue? I had the same sub years ago and the surround I replaced for under $20.00. Worked like a champ.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
The surround.....foam rubber gasket

Joliet_Tech

Joliet_Tech

Audiophyte
Since you didn't mention your actual budget,I'd take an estimated guess.
On lower scale of effort/cost would be new Dayton SUB-1200 sub and on a bit, higher (but better sub) would be this pe kit: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-10-reference-series-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7091. Besides a wood glue, paint, you would also need to add price for an amp which isn't included.
Cheapest power would probably come from BEHRINGER KM750 - open box on Amazon is $200. You could use basically almost any 250-600W amp into 4ohm
Thank you for your detailed response. I would just like to replace/repair the existing driver. The cabinet is fine as is the amp and crossover. I am strongly considering replacing the foam rubber gasket.

Joliet_Tech

Joliet_Tech

Audiophyte
I had the same thing happen to my PDR-12 and bought a new/replacement driver at my local audio/video store. I paid $75.00US for it and it works perfectly. I no longer use the sub as I replaced it with a SVS SB3000 but I still have it and may use it in another room or give it to a family member that may need it. As long as the electronics works it is worth repairing.
Thanks for your response. I found a decent replacement driver for $50 but I think I will try to replace the surround as it only cost $19 and I have the time right now.

Joliet_Tech

Joliet_Tech

Audiophyte
Thank you all for your responses. I am going to replace the foam edge.
Stay safe.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's called a surround. A gasket may also be in use, though. But sounds like your driver simply needs the surround replaced altho when you pull the driver out of the mounting you might be prepared to replace the gasket (between driver and baffle) as well, something like door/window weatherstripping can work well enough. Might want to look at some instructional videos on the subject before starting, but it's not all that hard. Good luck and stay safe!

Joliet_Tech

Joliet_Tech

Audiophyte
Thanks for the correction. I obviously have not done this before. I do have a fiber gasket. I still need to clean up the metal rim and the cone edge where the surround attaches.

I will order the new surround on Monday and let you all know how the repair turned out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis