replacement driver for JBL 240ti

R

roscoe1224

Enthusiast
So my in-laws just gave me a pair of 240ti's from their storage unit. Cabinet condition is great, but after removing the grilles I see that one of the 14" drivers needs a refoam and the other is missing all-together. Is there a comparable driver to put in their place, or are there replacement drivers available?

thanks in advance

L

Loren42

Audioholic
Start HERE and register.

There isn't going to be a better place to get answers and help.

G

GordonW

Enthusiast
I would search ebay and craigslist for JBL LE14-h1 that is the component name for the woofer in the 140ti. More often than not you can find them in good original or reconed state for very little money

see the manual for the 240ti : http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical Sheet/240Ti ts.pdf
+1 on this. You DEFINITELY want to put the original driver back in there, if at ALL possible. These are very elegantly designed, high-performance speaker systems... IMHO, one of the top five things that Greg Timbers has designed while at JBL.

BTW: The same woofer is used in the 240Ti and 250Ti. So, that can broaden your search criteria a lot.

BTW^2: In worst-case conditions (i.e, you never find a LE14H-1), the LE14H-3 (as used in the Citation 7.4 subwoofer) can work as an acceptable replacement, according to comments I've seen by those who have directly compared the 'H1 and 'H3. The only serious difference is the use of a rubber surround on the 'H3, as opposed to foam surround on the 'H1. IIRC, the LE14H-3 is actually still an available part from JBL parts. You would DEFINITELY want to replace BOTH woofers in the pair, to make sure that the cabinets sound the same, if you did this...

Regards,
Gordon.

G

GordonW

Enthusiast
Oh, one more thing that came to mind- an earlier JBL LE14-H (white cone, ceramic magnet) CAN be reconed with the cone kit for the later JBL LE14H-1 (black cone). This will make an exact functional match to the original. A good reconer should be able to do this for you. In fact, while the cone kit is out (before the new one is installed, you can paint the edge of the frame black... so, it should match the original one in cosmetics...

To be clear- that's the JBL LE14H... NOT the JBL LE14A with alnico magnet. The 'a' version with alnico magnet (rounded "pot" magnet) has the wrong magnet geometry and strength, for the new kit to work properly... but, the 'H' version with ceramic magnet is fine.

Regards,
Gordon.

B

bandit

Audioholic
I would definetly lean toward the ebay suggestion. I own a pair of 240ti's purchased new and I still think they are great. I've noticed the woofer does come up from time to time on ebay... I've thought about buying myself a spare.. as I plan on keeping my old JBL's for a long long time...

Be happy your not looking for the tweeter.. those are spending even on ebay.

B

bandit

Audioholic
Just FYI... there are two of these drivers on Ebay right now. If you type jbl in the search, and then select vintage electronics you will find them. Looks like one is reconed, the other not. Same seller for both of them...

R

roscoe1224

Enthusiast
Thanks for all of the input y'all, I've had to put the 240's on the back burner temporarily. Had an unexpected (read unwanted) trip to the in-laws that came up. Also, when i do get another LE14h, does anybody know of a recone service in Houston,Tx, or are there reputable places that i could ship them to(i.e. partsexpress)?

thanks again y'all

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
+1 on this. You DEFINITELY want to put the original driver back in there, if at ALL possible. These are very elegantly designed, high-performance speaker systems... IMHO, one of the top five things that Greg Timbers has designed while at JBL.

BTW: The same woofer is used in the 240Ti and 250Ti. So, that can broaden your search criteria a lot.

BTW^2: In worst-case conditions (i.e, you never find a LE14H-1), the LE14H-3 (as used in the Citation 7.4 subwoofer) can work as an acceptable replacement, according to comments I've seen by those who have directly compared the 'H1 and 'H3. The only serious difference is the use of a rubber surround on the 'H3, as opposed to foam surround on the 'H1. IIRC, the LE14H-3 is actually still an available part from JBL parts. You would DEFINITELY want to replace BOTH woofers in the pair, to make sure that the cabinets sound the same, if you did this...

Regards,
Gordon.
Both of my 7.4 subs have the LE14H-1 in them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So my in-laws just gave me a pair of 240ti's from their storage unit. Cabinet condition is great, but after removing the grilles I see that one of the 14" drivers needs a refoam and the other is missing all-together. Is there a comparable driver to put in their place, or are there replacement drivers available?

thanks in advance
This is the correct repair kit for these speakers. Midwest speaker repair are the best outfit to repair those speakers. You can buy the kits or send it to them if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself.

You do need the dust cap and shims or you will not get the VC centered and you will have gap rub. This is not difficult, but you have to be precise and careful.

You need to remove all the old surrounds and glue. Then you cut out the dust cap. Make sure you cut it out on the inside of the VC former. If you do it on the outside you will ruin the speaker. Then you place the shims between the VC and the pole piece, to center the VC. Now you glue in the new surround with the provided speaker glue. Leave it overnight. Then remove the shims and glue in the new dust cap. If you do this carefully, then your speaker will be as good as new.

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
Thanks for all of the input y'all, I've had to put the 240's on the back burner temporarily. Had an unexpected (read unwanted) trip to the in-laws that came up. Also, when i do get another LE14h, does anybody know of a recone service in Houston,Tx, or are there reputable places that i could ship them to(i.e. partsexpress)?

thanks again y'all
My guy, Matt at Utah Reconing (801-419-3099) just finished the restore of my pair of LE14h-1 woofers from my Citation 7.4 subs. One new surround, one reconed. They look brand new…he even refinished the rear frame and magnet assembly with new paint. Then back they go, and the bedroom 5.2 goes. BOOM. Such power. I’ve got my amp turned to 8 o’clock. Best money I’ve ever spent. He’s done 20+ woofers for me ranging from 2214h, 120ti, 127h. 708g. Quick turnaround, beautiful work.

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Pretty sure op abandoned the project by now, since this thread was started 11 years ago... lol

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
Pretty sure op abandoned the project by now, since this thread was started 11 years ago... lol
There’s always someone out there that will google “LE14h-1 repair”. That’s how I found this thread to begin with lol.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis