Replacement Cartridge for Turntable

N

Nostromo

Junior Audioholic
I have a lot of vinyl LPs that I like to play on my Pioneer PL-990 turntable for nostalgic reasons. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that the stylus might have been damaged in transit; although I had taped it down, the tone arm had come out of its moorings and was lying free on the plate. I have no way of testing it since everything else is still packed away in cartons waiting for our move to the coast in 3 months time. We are renting at present.

Can someone please help me to find a replacement cartridge? There are some available on-line but I am not sure which are good and which ones to avoid.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How much do you want to spend? What is on there now?

N

Nostromo

Junior Audioholic
Not sure. It is the same cartridge that was there when I bought it 2 years ago. I saw what had happened when I opened the boxes to repack my AV kit to more some of our stuff into storage before the move. After I noticed that the tone arm had slipped, I taped it back more securely and repacked the turntable too.

I noted that a replacement stylus is about £15. Maybe that'll do it?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure. It is the same cartridge that was there when I bought it 2 years ago. I saw what had happened when I opened the boxes to repack my AV kit to more some of our stuff into storage before the move. After I noticed that the tone arm had slipped, I taped it back more securely and repacked the turntable too.

I noted that a replacement stylus is about £15. Maybe that'll do it?
It looks like the PL 990 came with a fixed cartridge and probably can't be replaced. The good news is that the supplied cartridge is equivalent to an AT 3600 which is a decent entry level conical cartridge so that replacement should be fine. You could also go online to Turntable Labs or LP Gear and see if they have any upgrade stylus for your TT.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis