C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Hey folks. I'm reviving this thread to try and find a solution to my problem.

I currently have all of my sources running into my 77" LG CX OLED TV then using ARC back out to my X3300W for sound. It works for now, but I am out of HDMI inputs on the TV and am having an issue with ARC - the AVR will only play in Direct or Stereo. So I would really like to solve the issue I have running my 4k sources through my AVR

For a refresher, when I send a 4k source to my AVR and try to pass it through to my TV the TV screen goes blank intermittently. On again, off again over and over. It also displayed white dots everywhere when in 4k with HDR. I switched the HDMI cables to Monoprice Slim Premium Certified cables. That did not solve the issue (it may have solved the white dot issue, but I cannot tell because the screen goes blank too often and for too long).

I emailed Denon and they suggested it might be a handshake issue and that I should contact LG to "update the EDID string" (whatever that means) or that I should purchase a $250 EDID emulator (Atlona Etude Sync or Key Digital HD FIX2). I obviously don't want to do that if I don't have to and think it's ridiculous that I would need to given the supposed quality of the AVR and TV.

I tried submitting an email to LG, but after writing a missive I clicked submit and it did not create a ticket or record my inquiry. I will try that again, but in the meantime does anybody have any ideas?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hey folks. I'm reviving this thread to try and find a solution to my problem.

I currently have all of my sources running into my 77" LG CX OLED TV then using ARC back out to my X3300W for sound. It works for now, but I am out of HDMI inputs on the TV and am having an issue with ARC - the AVR will only play in Direct or Stereo. So I would really like to solve the issue I have running my 4k sources through my AVR

For a refresher, when I send a 4k source to my AVR and try to pass it through to my TV the TV screen goes blank intermittently. On again, off again over and over. It also displayed white dots everywhere when in 4k with HDR. I switched the HDMI cables to Monoprice Slim Premium Certified cables. That did not solve the issue (it may have solved the white dot issue, but I cannot tell because the screen goes blank too often and for too long).

I emailed Denon and they suggested it might be a handshake issue and that I should contact LG to "update the EDID string" (whatever that means) or that I should purchase a $250 EDID emulator (Atlona Etude Sync or Key Digital HD FIX2). I obviously don't want to do that if I don't have to and think it's ridiculous that I would need to given the supposed quality of the AVR and TV.

I tried submitting an email to LG, but after writing a missive I clicked submit and it did not create a ticket or record my inquiry. I will try that again, but in the meantime does anybody have any ideas?
Doesn't the 3300w have a second monitor out? Have you tried that?

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Doesn't the 3300w have a second monitor out? Have you tried that?
I have not tried that because I would still like to use ARC for one source - an xbox. The Denon cannot pass 120hz so for the xbox i connect it direct to the TV and use ARC.

Can I use the Zone 2 monitor out for the AVR based sources and have another cable connected between the Main Zone (ARC) AVR connector and the ARC connector on my TV (solely for the xbox audio)? I don't understand this all that well, but I read in my AVR manual that when using both monitor outputs on the AVR with the same source it will down sample the audio to 2 channel. Perhaps that is not really applicable since I will only be using one TV input at a time?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have not tried that because I would still like to use ARC for one source - an xbox. The Denon cannot pass 120hz so for the xbox i connect it direct to the TV and use ARC.

Can I use the Zone 2 monitor out for the AVR based sources and have another cable connected between the Main Zone (ARC) AVR connector and the ARC connector on my TV (solely for the xbox audio)? I don't understand this all that well, but I read in my AVR manual that when using both monitor outputs on the AVR with the same source it will down sample the audio to 2 channel. Perhaps that is not really applicable since I will only be using one TV input at a time?
Well, with the xbox throwing a wrench into things you have a few choices. One is to use an optical cable from the TV. If HDMI ARC is limited to 2ch for HDMI sources, you won't be missing out on anything audio wise.

If you want your xbox to have 120hz and full audio output then a fancy HDMI splitter is going to be one of your only choices.

ARC isn't worth the headache IMHO.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Well, with the xbox throwing a wrench into things you have a few choices. One is to use an optical cable from the TV. If HDMI ARC is limited to 2ch for HDMI sources, you won't be missing out on anything audio wise.

If you want your xbox to have 120hz and full audio output then a fancy HDMI splitter is going to be one of your only choices.

ARC isn't worth the headache IMHO.
Ideally, I'd be able to fix the problem i have when running the video and audio to the AVR first (on all sources except the xbox). I will try the Zone 2 monitor out from the AVR and see if that solves the intermittent video issue. If that fixes the video issue then my question is this:

What the Denon manual says is "When a TV is connected to the HDMI ZONE 2 OUT connector, and the MAIN ZONE and ZONE 2 are set to the same input source, the MAIN ZONE audio may be mixed down to 2-channel audio." Set-up wise I would have two HDMI cables running from the AVR to the TV. One from the Main Zone for ARC (for use with the xbox) and one for video running through the AVR. Is there a way to set it up so when I am playing a source through the AVR to avoid having the AVR think that the Main Zone and Zone have the same input source?

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
By way of update, I got the major issue resolved just by replacing the Monoprice certified premium cables with certified ultra cables from another manufacturer. Probably don't need the extra bandwidth but the handshake issue is gone. So the AVR is passing the 4k signals just fine now.

Now I have a different problem. When running by BD player through the receiver (an older OPPO BDP83), the image is displayed with a pink/magenta cast over the entire display. If the BD player is run directly to the TV it looks fine. I rarely use the BD player anymore so it is not a huge issue and I have freed up an HDMI slot on my TV, but if anyone has any ideas there I always like to tinker. Thanks.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
By way of update, I got the major issue resolved just by replacing the Monoprice certified premium cables with certified ultra cables from another manufacturer. Probably don't need the extra bandwidth but the handshake issue is gone. So the AVR is passing the 4k signals just fine now.

Now I have a different problem. When running by BD player through the receiver (an older OPPO BDP83), the image is displayed with a pink/magenta cast over the entire display. If the BD player is run directly to the TV it looks fine. I rarely use the BD player anymore so it is not a huge issue and I have freed up an HDMI slot on my TV, but if anyone has any ideas there I always like to tinker. Thanks.
Hate to be that guy, but have you tried multiple inputs on your receiver? What about multiple outputs?

I'm starting to think your receiver has an HDMI port issue. Especially since you tested the cable without the receiver and it works fine. That tells me the cable is good, the bd player is good, and the TV is good. Only other component is the receiver. Sorry.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Hate to be that guy, but have you tried multiple inputs on your receiver? What about multiple outputs?

I'm starting to think your receiver has an HDMI port issue. Especially since you tested the cable without the receiver and it works fine. That tells me the cable is good, the bd player is good, and the TV is good. Only other component is the receiver. Sorry.
The physical design of the HDMI ports is awful as the weight of the cable itself could over time make the port go bad, unless it is hung up to lessen the pressure. Then there are heat issues as well, and the list goes on.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The physical design of the HDMI ports is awful as the weight of the cable itself could over time make the port go bad, unless it is hung up to lessen the pressure. Then there are heat issues as well, and the list goes on.
There are hdmi port "savers" for heavy cables.....or just lighter cables....I remember using those old heavy/stiff cables with a braided covering that could be hard on hdmi ports, tho....

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
There are hdmi port "savers" for heavy cables.....or just lighter cables....I remember using those old heavy/stiff cables with a braided covering that could be hard on hdmi ports, tho....
Yeah, I just hang them up with some zippers at appropriate points and hopefully avoid the issue. Now that the transfers speeds are much higher it requires thicker and heavier cables, but I'm not sure if the physical HDMI port requirements have changed.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic

That may be a possibility and I'll try another input, but the AVR was in use with my old TV and the Oppo worked fine. I didn't touch that connection the first time I set the new tv up. I plugged in the monitor out, and started the menu adjustments in the TV and receiver to play 4k HDR.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis