Repair or Replace - Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma

T

tupelo

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone,

Sat down last night to watch some NBA playoffs - and the TV went out. Looks to be a power issue, as it will not turn back on/no red light at bottom right. Everything else on the home theater is working fine. So I am guessing that I have finally been hit by the Power Board issue.

I believe I can get it repaired (or do it myself) - but I am wondering if this is now the time to upgrade to a 4K TV - and if so - which one should I go for? I did a lot of research before I bought the Plasma (got it when it first came out) and everyone that comes over has always been impressed by the picture quality. If I replace I want something at least as good.

Please chime in on your thoughts. Would like as much feedback from the experts as I can get :).

Thanks.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
In general, it's most likely not worth a repair unless you can do it yourself. The cost of a repair at a shop would most likely be better spent on a new TV.

If this were ME, I would buy a new TV, then try to see if I could repair the dead one. If I succeed, then it would go to the bedroom or perhaps see if I could get a decent price on the used market.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I had a Samsung Plasma, went out, shop wanted 150.00 just to diagnose the problem. Shop dude told me that they usually run 400 and up to repair.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It is totally worth doing yourself.

It is not at all worth paying someone else to do.

Yes, you should still get a new TV. May I suggest the 85" Sony model? Or a nice roll up 88" OLED from LG?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you can get ir repaired for reasonable cost, I would say 300$ at most then it should be worth it. If you want new TV with same picture quality you will be looking at OLED TV.

B

Brian King

Audioholic Intern
Had the same problem with my Samsung plasma. It was the power supply board. Repair parts are no longer available. You can exchange your damaged board for a refurbished one. Get the part number and do a search on Google.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That sucks. Hopefully you have budgeted enough money to start your search soon.

For your search, I would write down each brand and model and price into a list. Then I would search specific models for reviews. Then after narrowing it down, search the top 3 or 4 models for issues in AVS Forum to get an idea of what people are complaining about on each model. Yes some of these posts are hundreds of pages. :)

Then finally after getting informed and knowing your budget, go and demo the TVs at the stores. Be sure to stand the same distance as you would be watching it at home.

Good luck! :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I repaired my own plasma TV. I Just followed Youtube video guides. All I needed is the most basic short detection multimeter. The board I needed to fix was shipped to TX company for a refurb for under $100 cost including shipping. Given that it's only 55" sized, I am extremely likely to replace if/then it breaks again.
No light at all, sounds like a power supply issue. That shouldn't be too hard. The biggest issue I've had is opening the rear cover - it has dozens and dozens of small screws.

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I repaired my own plasma TV. I Just followed Youtube video guides. All I needed is the most basic short detection multimeter. The board I needed to fix was shipped to TX company for a refurb for under $100 cost including shipping. Given that it's only 55" sized, I am extremely likely to replace if/then it breaks again.
No light at all, sounds like a power supply issue. That shouldn't be too hard. The biggest issue I've had is opening the rear cover - it has dozens and dozens of small screws.
Yup - that back panel sucks. Sliced up my hand in several places and did not even realize until I started leaving bloody hand prints. Unfortunately, the TV was a lost cause... I really liked that unit - last (and best) of the plasma generation.

B

Brian King

Audioholic Intern
I own a Samsung plasma, 51" 8500 series I believe, and it went out after only 2-1/2 years. Parts not available. I was lucky to find a guy who had 2 brand new boards, so I snagged one. It was easy after that.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yup - that back panel sucks. Sliced up my hand in several places and did not even realize until I started leaving bloody hand prints. Unfortunately, the TV was a lost cause... I really liked that unit - last (and best) of the plasma generation.
Sounds painfully get a Panasonic or a oled tv or something. Sucks they don’t make oled in USA greedy horse racers .... Panasonic extinction in USA ?

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for the heads up about the Samsung TV, I've had problems with their blu-ray players so when my current Sony TV finally dies, it will NOT be replaced by SamSucks! :p

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I replaced one of these boards for a close friends of ours a few years back. Just check that one of the AC line fuses is blown. It likely is, and that will indicate you need new power board. Replacement was easy.

There are refurb boards, as there are plenty of these boards to refurb. There is no shortage of blown ones!

If you do replace, then you need to look at OLED. After a plasma you will not be happy with a LED TV. I have one OLED and a couple of Panny plasmas on the place. Honestly the PQ between the OLED and the older 2K plasmas is marginal, but it is improved. After looking at LEDs 4K HDR the whole works, they would have been a downgrade from plasma.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I replaced one of these boards for a close friends of ours a few years back. Just check that one of the AC line fuses is blown. It likely is, and that will indicate you need new power board. Replacement was easy.

There are refurb boards, as there are plenty of these boards to refurb. There is no shortage of blown ones!

If you do replace, then you need to look at OLED. After a plasma you will not be happy with a LED TV. I have one OLED and a couple of Panny plasmas on the place. Honestly the PQ between the OLED and the older 2K plasmas is marginal, but it is improved. After looking at LEDs 4K HDR the whole works, they would have been a downgrade from plasma.
I totally agree about not being happy with an LED TV - I've bought two since my plasma came to an inglorious end and do not like either all that much (they're "serviceable" in that the image is "okay"). OLED is certainly my next purchase!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis