Remote control decision

D

desmondlewissmith

Audiophyte
So I think I'm getting my remote control choice list down to a couple brands. Wondering if anyone here has experience with RTI or Pro Control? My short list also contains the URC Home Kit Pro which dabbles in IP as well.

I plan on pulling my URC MX-3000 and also removing my URC Lutron RF Light Switches and replacing with Leviton IP Switches.

I'm looking to control the following:
Sony 295es
AppleTV 4K
Nvidia Shield Pro
Yamaha Aventage A2080
Leviton IP Lighting
Dual SVS Subs (won't really need to do much with them since I use the phone app)
Added plus, I'd like to address my IC Realtime NVR and cameras and RING doorbell if possible

Ultimately looking to have one controller to do it all, including answer the door or watch around my house if need be. Also want the basic macro functionality of one button turn all on, delay then dim lights to zero.... etc

Has anyone here worked with RTI or Pro Control? Does anyone here us the URC MX Home Pro Kit (i.e.: MXHP-R700 remote with base station)

Swebderg

Swebderg

Audiophyte
Audioholic stories writemyessaysonline
Hi,
I've been loyal to URC for years. I had a URC-A6 controlling my Blu-ray player, AppleTV and Denon receiver.
Have you considered Harmony elite instead of URC MX Home Pro? Just curious.

D

desmondlewissmith

Audiophyte
Audioholic stories writemyessaysonline
Hi,
I've been loyal to URC for years. I had a URC-A6 controlling my Blu-ray player, AppleTV and Denon receiver.
Have you considered Harmony elite instead of URC MX Home Pro? Just curious.
I'm not opposed to Harmony, I just don't know a lot about them. One of my main reasons for a switch is to control IP lighting by Leviton. I'll have to look into the Harmony Remotes.

B

budjo

Audiophyte
I'm not opposed to Harmony, I just don't know a lot about them. One of my main reasons for a switch is to control IP lighting by Leviton. I'll have to look into the Harmony Remotes.
I think you will like the Harmony. Very easy to setup and use.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Be aware that many remote manufacturers are very open about their control. They can control almost anything, but many product manufacturers are very VERY proprietary in what they will allow for control. So, one manufacturer will have an open and published API and will work with many remote companies without issue. They work with both Google Home as well as Alexa and Apple. They should publish a list of the companies that they work with and how well they play with those products. Then you can do some digging to find out if they actually work well or not.

I am constantly blown away by people who say that 'Crestron is a locked control system'. It is, in reality, one of the most open because you can write modules for it that communicate via RS232, RS422, IP, infrared, and more. But, many companies don't publish their user interface and you end up not being able to control the device. Go figure.

But, if I were to recommend a solid user programmable remote control, it would definitely be Harmony.

I'm not sure if you already bought a bunch of Leviton switches, but I would reach out to them BEFORE you buy them and ensure that they have partnerships with Harmony and other universal remote control companies to allow for control of their product. To put this in perspective, Leviton TALKS about partner integration, but then doesn't actually have a page that lists the partners they actually integrate with.

Lutron Caseta, by contrast: https://www.casetawireless.com/works-with
It clearly works with Logitech Harmony remotes and a long list of other products.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis