REM, "Automatic For The People" on DVD-a

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>As a long time lurker but new poster, I've noticed there isn't a lot of discussion of multichannel music. &nbsp;As an early adopter of DVD-A and a fan of SACD, I hope you all don't mind my posting a few mini reviews of some of my favorite MC recordings.

I just picked up this disc today about 3 months ago, and after listening a few times I can say conclusively that it creams the CD version! As is often the case, I'm not totally ecstatic about the way it was remixed for surround, but the increase in air and resolution is undeniable. Also as usual, the greatest gains were in vocal clarity and treble detail. The music just lives and breathes in a way I've never heard on CD or LP. While sometimes the surrounds are overused, the net effect is to kick the door wide open on the performance and really expand the soundstage.

For the record, I wouldn't rate this as one of the best sounding DVD-A's I've heard, either. Part of this may be the occasionally distracting vocals and percussion panned too far rearward for my tastes. Overall, I'd give it an 8.0 or so. Much better than the CD, but maybe not as good sounding as Steely Dans &quot;Two Against Nature&quot; or Foreigner 4. While &quot;Automatic&quot; sounds superb, it can't match the newest Beck SACD or Steely Dan's new &quot;Everything Must Go&quot; as seemless paradigms of MC magic. &nbsp;Still, for fans of REM in general and those interested in MC music, this disc is a no brainer.</font>

<font color='#008080'>God bless you for contributing in this area! &nbsp;

I love to get feedback on multichannel music discs.

Thanks!</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>I have to agree with the mini review of Automatic for the People. I wasnt a REM fan but the album blew me away sonically.

If you are a fan of Jazz I would also suggest you have a listen to Grover Washington's Album. This will make any half decent DVDA system purr.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hey Guys,
Lets try and keep the comments coming.
I've been away from the music scene for 20 years and have jumped headfirst into these new HIREZ formats.

I have entry level machines for both but have an advantage that many don't in that my Denon 5800/03 has 2 sets of analog in's although I understand that there are some inexpensive switchers out there, I think RadioShack has one also.

I've accumulated about 140 discs in the combination of HDCD,DTS,DVD-A,SACD and several audio (live performance dvd's).
Early this year in the (previously enjoyed market) I pickedup some pretty good speakers made by a Canadian manufacturer called Totem Acoustics. Mine are called Model 1 and I have 5 including the center channel.
These speakers (although not considered mainstream) are audiophile grade and apparantly used by Eric Clapton when he's writing.
You can Google them if your interested, there are quite a few of reviews out there, and can occaisonally be found on Audiogon. &nbsp;Anyway, they seem to be particularly good with female vocals for some reason, and since I have Krall and Jones and Cole they get a pretty good workout.

If when posting you would like to mention what equipment you are using and how you feel about it and what direction your planning on taking (if any), that would be great also.

Personally, even though My Denon is equipped with it's proprietary &quot;Denon Link&quot; for a digital connection for these HIREZ formats and COMBI machines are hitting the marketplace now it has made some of the mltidisc entry level players pretty cheap and since I'm not worried about connectivity, Im going to sit tight with what i have right now.
which is,
DVD-A: 7 disc JVC FA92SL
SACD: &nbsp; 5 disc Sony DVP-NC650V
DVD VIDEO: Panasonic RP82

I'm not very good at reviewing discs, but will certainly chime in if I think a disc has a proplem or add to something to one of your or Rob Babcock's reviews.

Happy listening,

Peter m.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis