Relatively New, What now!?

Autofac

Autofac

Enthusiast
To this whole thing.

Came on here looking for opinions, answers, ideas, the usual.

I started last Christmas by buying a few things to start building a home theatre. I realize that what I have brought together thus far is, by most standards pretty lame but having no prior experience or great exposure to home theatre, it works well for me and it took a lot of hard earned money so I am proud.

I bought a JVC reciever last christmas, it was on for a really good price at a local place, and was reccomended by a few friends of mine who said it was decent for the money.

My speakers are really the worst part, I also got those on sale (I am a first year university student in the second most expensive University in Canada, money is a huge factor in all of this). Currently I only have four speakers, quite embarassing, but I didn't have enough time or money to invest into anything else to complete it all once school started. I have two Quest tower speakers, and a pair of Quest bookshelves. As I said, pretty low-end stuff from what I hear, but quality wise they don't sound too bad to me.

I am buying a center channel speaker sometime over the break with a gift card I recieved for my birthday. I still need a sub, but I think what I am going to do is wait until the new year when I have banked a bit more money and invest it into a really nice subwoofer and use that piece as my sort of "cornerstone" into a newer and nicer set of speakers when money allows.

I just kind of find myself asking at this point, where do I go from here? What sort of things should I be looking for to fine tune what I already have further? Are higher quality cables something I should focus on, something that would improve upon what I already have (assuming I use basic wiring)? Anything I should do to the room I am using to improve sound quality?

Overall I guess I am just looking for any beginning tips, pointers reccomendations seasoned HT veterans would give to someone who is only starting to get serious about it.

I will be looking over threads in other forums, this was just kind of an intro.

Thanks everyone.

Welcome to Audioholics! There are a lot of great threads already here that discuss various orders of purchasing equipment and also some great suggestions on products to fit a particular budget.

Cables should not be an issue for you right now. Also, if you're interested in an immediate jump in sound experience, consider buying an inexpensive subwoofer before you get your center channel. This is subject to opinion, but I'd probabaly go for the extra low end before I added a center.

Autofac

Autofac

Enthusiast
Clint DeBoer said:
Welcome to Audioholics! There are a lot of great threads already here that discuss various orders of purchasing equipment and also some great suggestions on products to fit a particular budget.

Cables should not be an issue for you right now. Also, if you're interested in an immediate jump in sound experience, consider buying an inexpensive subwoofer before you get your center channel. This is subject to opinion, but I'd probabaly go for the extra low end before I added a center.

Thanks for the advice!

Best Buy also has an 8" sub by the same manufacturer (Precision Acoustics) as the center channel I was looking at for $49.

I guess you are right in just getting the lower end considering it will match (in quality) the rest of my gear.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis