REL HT/1508 Deal, is this a decent Sub

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Rel Acoustics HT/1508 Predator Subwoofer, Black Vinyl HT/1508 (adorama.com)

Temped to upgrade the sub in the family room, and came across this slick deal. Of course I was checking out HSU and other brands, but this is about $800 off list. Would this be a signficant upgrade from my Seismic 12, which is about 17 years old, but refusing to fail :) not a bad thing. Was going to move the Seismic 12 to the bedroom and retire the GE Forcefield.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
At $1K there are better performing options unless you need a relatively small sealed sub.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
For the comments we often see about REL being overpriced for the performance, this may well bring that cost ratio in line. But can you get a better Sub for a Grand? Probably. I guess the main question is what your limitations are on that Sub? Size, aesthetics, connectivity, listening goals...
You know well enough the routine us Bassaholics go through... ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn't excite me but Rel usually doesn't, but at least this is a more reasonable price than list. I'd rather have a Hsu ULS-15mk2 for that money if you want a 15" sealed, https://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2.html

Rel 3rd party testing is hard to come by....

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Doesn't excite me but Rel usually doesn't, but at least this is a more reasonable price than list. I'd rather have a Hsu ULS-15mk2 for that money if you want a 15" sealed, https://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2.html

Rel 3rd party testing is hard to come by....
Agree and I have looked. The attractive thing about this Sub is the form factor. It's for a family room, using it with wall mounted GoldenEar Superstats. My Seismic 12 still performs, but is starting to have a mild buzz again. I am ok with sealed. I can compare form factors with the HSU. I am content with my JL in my HT room, I don't need another sub that costs that much :)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Agree and I have looked. The attractive thing about this Sub is the form factor. It's for a family room, using it with wall mounted GoldenEar Superstats. My Seismic 12 still performs, but is starting to have a mild buzz again. I am ok with sealed. I can compare form factors with the HSU. I am content with my JL in my HT room, I don't need another sub that costs that much :)
Sub will be 80% for movies and streaming servcie in the family room about 20% music. It's a decent sized family room at 20 by 24, but has a completely open floorplan so there is no walls on the right side and its 9ft ceilings.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis