REL Acoustics HT/1510 Predator II Subwoofer Review

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Just watched a Rel demo on YouTube, I love what Rel says about their Subs right around the 8:50 mark… “we have the fastest electrical output of any subwoofer and the only way you can achieve similar results is using DSP”. Well now we have lots more powerful subwoofers and pretty much everyone is using DSP. I guess there’s no point in putting down the extra money for an inferior subwoofer. Thanks Rel for clearing that up for us.

L

Luky.Kluk

Audiophyte
Thank you @shadyJ for this long time awaited meassurements of REL subwoofer. Every other review to this date were just impressions without any technical backround.
Don't know how do you get this unit, but if it was from a distributor would love to see other more stereo oriented subs like s510 or s812 (dont care about the small T series).
Local distributor have one s510 paired with 5.1.2 Focal 300 inwalls / Lyngdorf pre-pro / Emotiva poweramps in dedicated acousticly treated room and I was blown away by the quality of the whole setup. Scenes from Bladerunner 2049 (eye intro) or John Wick 2 (dungeon shoot-out) were impecable. So would love to see the CEA/CTA measurements and how will corellate with the experience.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Why spend $1900 on this sub for lower group delays when ported subs at that price point perform significantly better and with no effect on sound quality with slightly higher group delay? I dont see any value in this sub. Its clear their marketing literature targets audiophilia filled with all kinds of nonsense.

P

paveldeg

Enthusiast
Nice woofer, the only thing I don't get is HT1205 goes down to 22Hz, and this one triple the price, size and weight is only 20Hz...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Nice woofer, the only thing I don't get is HT1205 goes down to 22Hz, and this one triple the price, size and weight is only 20Hz...
The shape of the response curve could be anything. That could be an EQ'd shape. The difference is how much displacement does it have at 20Hz? The 1510 will have far more displacement capability.

P

paveldeg

Enthusiast
The shape of the response curve could be anything. That could be an EQ'd shape. The difference is how much displacement does it have at 20Hz? The 1510 will have far more displacement capability.
If the shape can be anything, why not make it 17 Hz? For a 15" driver most people expect far more that 20 Hz at 6 Db.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If the shape can be anything, why not make it 17 Hz? For a 15" driver most people expect far more that 20 Hz at 6 Db.
The answer to that is known only by Rel. However, most sealed subwoofers would not naturally have a -6dB point of 20Hz no matter how large the driver is.

X

XaVierDK

Enthusiast
My guess, considering we're talking about REL, is that they wanted to avoid aggressive response-shaping to minimise their use of filters.
Specifically, -6dB at 20 Hz is, IIRC, THX standard, where it's expected the room will help linearise the response flat. In addition any excessive shaping would result in a loss of headroom (if they wanted a -6dB point of 15 you'd need to sacrifice a heap of output elsewhere, or have dynamic limiters, which they apparently didn't want to employ to avoid the response shifting with SPL)
Looking at @shadyJ's measurements, lifting 15 Hz by 10 dB to extend the output would need a heap of extra filters and a more aggressive protection-scheme, sacrificing headroom and trying to force the driver to do something it doesn't do very well to begin with.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis