Reference Levels? Help

R

Redbone

Audioholic
I am trying to set reference level on my NAD T753 and the book does not tell what reference level is? It just says to set each speaker to 75dB, but does not explain where the master volume should be.

I tryed the Digital Video Essentials to try and set it but I got confused. The instructions say to set each speaker by pink noise to 75dB at reference volume. Further saying that after each speaker is set the master volume should be turned up to reference and the sound meter should read 75dB for all speakers when properly set? What the hell does this mean? :confused:

Could someone please explain how to set the speaker levels??

I would be so greatful- :eek:

cam

cam

Audioholic
Redbone said:
I am trying to set reference level on my NAD T753 and the book does not tell what reference level is? It just says to set each speaker to 75dB, but does not explain where the master volume should be.

I tryed the Digital Video Essentials to try and set it but I got confused. The instructions say to set each speaker by pink noise to 75dB at reference volume. Further saying that after each speaker is set the master volume should be turned up to reference and the sound meter should read 75dB for all speakers when properly set? What the hell does this mean? :confused:

Could someone please explain how to set the speaker levels??

I would be so greatful- :eek:
Don't know what receiver you have, if it is somewhat modern your master volume will start in the negative, as you turn it up it will get to 00 and then go into the positive to maybe +18 or somewhere abouts. That 00 is where you want your master volume to be when setting all your speaker levels. Set master to 00 and then set each speaker independently so that the test tones reach 75db at your listening position. Don't be alarmed if some of your speaker settings are +2, +6, or -3. What does matter is that each speaker will be reading 75db on your sound meter at your listening position. Now 00 will be your reference. You can talk about different movies soundtracks knowing that you are set at reference levels with other people. Let me tell you, chances are that 00 will be too loud and you will most likely listen somewhere around -5 to -10. And oh ya, set your sub about 4 db higher then all others due to the fact that human hearing is less sensetive below 100hz. If your master volume doesn't start in the negative, go to 00 and then into the positive, lets say it just goes to 00 for full volume, then just use another volume such as -15 and set to 75 db there. -15 will then be your reference level.

R

Redbone

Audioholic
Thanks Cam that was a fantastic explanation.... By the way I own an NAD T753 and I believe the volume goes to +18 I will set all at 75db with the volume at 00.

Thanks again- I thought my receiver had no power but now I have hope. I hear that the NAD can comfortable go into the + numbers with ease if necessary when reference is set.

D

dtsfreak

Enthusiast
I agree with cam except that you don't need to set the levels (master vol) at your favorite listening position,just set to 00dB and from there make all the adjustments.if your test tone generator is working properly,you should have all channels calibrated at the same volume even though you don't hit the ref level(00dB)....hope this help......later joe. :)

R

Redbone

Audioholic
Thanks now if I can only figure out how to calibrate the tv adjustment using my component hook- up things will be great.

cam

cam

Audioholic
Redbone said:
Thanks now if I can only figure out how to calibrate the tv adjustment using my component hook- up things will be great.
It is possible that your on screen display will only work with s-video. That's the way my denon 1804 works.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Redbone said:
Thanks Cam that was a fantastic explanation.... By the way I own an NAD T753 and I believe the volume goes to +18 I will set all at 75db with the volume at 00.

Thanks again- I thought my receiver had no power but now I have hope. I hear that the NAD can comfortable go into the + numbers with ease if necessary when reference is set.

Doing this setup means that when you play a DVD and your master volume control is at 00, you will be playing it at the levels recorded in the studio. It may be too loud still, in home so be ready to adjust to your taste.

I

izub

Audioholic Intern
SPL meter and auto setup

My receiver has auto setup (Pioneer Elite 54tx) I used it, and the sound seems real good.Do I still need to purchase the SPL meter and do these adjustments? Doesn't that change the calibrations that the receiver did? If I do need the meter, can I use the pink noise from the receiver or do I need to purchase a cd (AVIA or similar)? Thanks for help here.

annunaki

annunaki

While auto set ups are convienent, they do not take the place of a separate meter and 0db pink noise. In using the auto setup vs calibrating with a meter, I have found levels to be off as much as 2db. To me, there is no replacement for doing it "the old fashioned way".

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
izub said:
My receiver has auto setup (Pioneer Elite 54tx) I used it, and the sound seems real good.Do I still need to purchase the SPL meter and do these adjustments? Doesn't that change the calibrations that the receiver did? If I do need the meter, can I use the pink noise from the receiver or do I need to purchase a cd (AVIA or similar)? Thanks for help here.

With auto setup you may have outside noise that you didn't hear and the receiver adjusted for it and the system is out of true balance.

Internal signals may not be accurate in all channels but a DVD would feed it through the same chain as your other source materials are going through and adjust for any channel or internal signal problems and inbalances

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis