TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
As I think many of you know, I had a left hip total arthroplasty yesterday morning.

I'm glad to report everything went well. The surgeon reported to me that the joint surfaces were very "lumpy bumpy." So not a good bearing.

I had a good night and day and took regular narcotics yesterday and last night. I have had only one small narcotic dose today. I have done some pretty long walks today with a walker, and made a lot of progress in PT between this morning and this afternoon.

My planed discharge is tomorrow. I will stay at our Eagan residence until about the middle of the month most likely, but play it by ear. Unfortunately winter has really set in already in Lakes country. It is now snowing hard in St Paul and accumulating fast at present.

The surgery was performed at the Allina joint replacement center at United Hospital St. Paul Minnesota. This unit is first class and the surgeon highly skilled. It took him 45 minutes and was done though two very small incisions. I have no pain at rest but some pain on lifting the left leg and moving it forward. I can bear full weight on the operated leg, with minimal pain.

I'm very pleased with the result so far, and all the staff have been first class.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Glad to hear that things are going well and your are on your way to becoming a better you. Prayers for a fast and speedy recovery. Prayers going up! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Dr. Carter's new theme song:

And as a get well present:

I'm glad you're doing so well after so invasive a procedure. I hope you make a fast and full recovery.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you Phil!
No, we ALL thank you for all of your help to so many of us on this forum. Your posts have helped me so many times it is not even funny. I am sure that I speak for many of us here. Just get well as it sounds like you are already headed in that direction. Keep up the good work forward! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Awesome news!

Is it true that physicians make the worst patients? ;)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
My wife and I were just remarking about our great visit yesterday. Glad to hear you're doing well!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Dr. Carter's new theme song:

And as a get well present:

I'm glad you're doing so well after so invasive a procedure. I hope you make a fast and full recovery.
Thanks Rojo.

Nimrod is variation IX of Elgar's Enigma variations. I love that variation and who dosen't?
It was written for his publisher, Augustus Jeager.

However it is frequently played at funerals and memorials! It is played at the Cenotaph every Remembrance Sunday.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks Rojo.

Nimrod is variation IX of Elgar's Enigma variations. I love that variation and who dosen't?
It was written for his publisher, Augustus Jeager.

However it is frequently played at funerals and memorials! It is played at the Cenotaph every Remembrance Sunday.
Oh! Well, that's awkward. I've never heard it played at a funeral before. Sorry about that. I promise I didn't intend it as a send-off.

Maybe this, then?

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
You said replacement center, so this was not just a resurfacing of the bone, but at least a partial replacement? How long did they give you till you have full mobility?

A wreck forced my leg further in to my pelvis, I walk with a 3/4" lift in my shoe. I know I'll need some amount of hip surgery, one day. But have been told repeatedly that I should live with the pain until it becomes too much as hip surgery is no easy matter.

Rest well and keep the leg strong!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Oh! Well, that's awkward. I've never heard it played at a funeral before. Sorry about that. I promise I didn't intend it as a send-off.

Maybe this, then?

I know you did not know about the funereal overtones. However that aspect gave an amusing twist to the thread!

The last time I heard it was at the memorial concert for Sir Neville Marriner at Orchestra Hall. He was a former music director of the Minnesota Orchestra.

To cheer you up however, Nimrod is also frequently played at weddings in the UK.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Glad to see your surgery went well, Doc. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I know you did not know about the funereal overtones. Nimrod is also frequently played at weddings in the UK.
Same difference. :D

Sucks having to get parts swapped out. I'm almost there myself but suffering suits me. Get well soon.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Same difference. :D

Sucks having to get parts swapped out. I'm almost there myself but suffering suits me. Get well soon.
Well, don't suffer too long.

Today is the 17th post op day. I came back to the lake last Monday.

The discomfort is subsiding. The only bothersome pain is around the ilio/psoas flexor tendon by the anterior incision.

Yes, this was a total hip replacement. This joint went down hill fast starting in the Spring. I had a difficult summer and especially fall getting the work done, mine and others. Replacing the hydraulic pump on my 1958 JD 420 was five days hard work and painful. I also had a lot of night pain.

However I'm now back to cooking and all my activities of daily living. I am using a cane for longer distances, but I was before. I can now climb stairs pain free which I was not able to do since spring.

If you have yours replaced make sure it is done by an experienced surgeon with are good track record in these procedures. My surgeon only does hip and knee replacements. He replaced my wife's left knee in June and she has had an excellent result.

The care at the joint replacement center at Allina United Hospital St. Paul was absolutely first class.

I suspect in another five to six weeks, I will be pretty much back to normal.

The development of joint replacement by Sir John Charnley is one of the most remarkable stories in the history, not only of medicine, but applied engineering.

John Charnley was a frequent visitor and lecturer to Guys Hospital were I trained back at the time joint replacement was just starting. Patients were in absolute misery with no relief in site. The results of these early replacements were truly remarkable.

If any man's life and work is worth a movie or TV series it is John Charnley's.

Now in his writings Sir John was at pains to point out that if you make a bearing of two hard surfaces you will have rapid wear and failure. He warned again and again that it should never be attempted. You must have hard against soft.

So about 20 years or so ago DePuy a subsidiary of Johnson and Johnson introduced the all metal hip implant! This not withstanding that DePuy had bought out Thackray's who worked closely with Charnley.

As Sir John predicted it has been a total disaster with thousands upon thousands of patients injured. The excess ware is causing heavy metal poisoning and embolization of shards of metal. The patients are also back in pain and disability due to the joint interface destruction from friction.

I fail to understand how the regulatory authorities including the FDA passed off on this. Johnson and Johnson are now knee deep in law suits and will likely go bankrupt in the end. I understand a criminal investigation is ramping up.

One of my hats at the time of introduction was technology assessment at our institution. I had a holy fit about it. I made damn sure they did not come though our doors.

I have a good friend a mix engineer and frequent visitor my studio who had one of these hips put in seven years ago. His Chromium levels are rising fast, and now at the critical point. He has joint erosion and is now back in pain.

I have steered him to the salvage/revision arthroplasty center at Mayo Clinic. He will be assessed Nov. 28.

Revisions are much more difficult than the first replacement.

This was a totally predictable and avoidable disaster. The cause human pride, hubris and a failure to look at the work done before. This disaster if attempted was clearly predicted by Charnley over a half century ago. There are just no excuses for this one.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Well, don't suffer too long.

Today is the 17th post op day. I came back to the lake last Monday.

The discomfort is subsiding. The only bothersome pain is around the ilio/psoas flexor tendon by the anterior incision.

Yes, this was a total hip replacement. This joint went down hill fast starting in the Spring. I had a difficult summer and especially fall getting the work done, mine and others. Replacing the hydraulic pump on my 1958 JD 420 was five days hard work and painful. I also had a lot of night pain.

However I'm now back to cooking and all my activities of daily living. I am using a cane for longer distances, but I was before. I can now climb stairs pain free which I was not able to do since spring.

If you have yours replaced make sure it is done by an experienced surgeon with are good track record in these procedures. My surgeon only does hip and knee replacements. He replaced my wife's left knee in June and she has had an excellent result.

The care at the joint replacement center at Allina United Hospital St. Paul was absolutely first class.

I suspect in another five to six weeks, I will be pretty much back to normal.

The development of joint replacement by Sir John Charnley is one of the most remarkable stories in the history, not only of medicine, but applied engineering.

John Charnley was a frequent visitor and lecturer to Guys Hospital were I trained back at the time joint replacement was just starting. Patients were in absolute misery with no relief in site. The results of these early replacements were truly remarkable.

If any man's life and work is worth a movie or TV series it is John Charnley's.

Now in his writings Sir John was at pains to point out that if you make a bearing of two hard surfaces you will have rapid wear and failure. He warned again and again that it should never be attempted. You must have hard against soft.

So about 20 years or so ago DePuy a subsidiary of Johnson and Johnson introduced the all metal hip implant! This not withstanding that DePuy had bought out Thackray's who worked closely with Charnley.

As Sir John predicted it has been a total disaster with thousands upon thousands of patients injured. The excess ware is causing heavy metal poisoning and embolization of shards of metal. The patients are also back in pain and disability due to the joint interface destruction from friction.

I fail to understand how the regulatory authorities including the FDA passed off on this. Johnson and Johnson are now knee deep in law suits and will likely go bankrupt in the end. I understand a criminal investigation is ramping up.

One of my hats at the time of introduction was technology assessment at our institution. I had a holy fit about it. I made damn sure they did not come though our doors.

I have a good friend a mix engineer and frequent visitor my studio who had one of these hips put in seven years ago. His Chromium levels are rising fast, and now at the critical point. He has joint erosion and is now back in pain.

I have steered him to the salvage/revision arthroplasty center at Mayo Clinic. He will be assessed Nov. 28.

Revisions are much more difficult than the first replacement.

This was a totally predictable and avoidable disaster. The cause human pride, hubris and a failure to look at the work done before. This disaster if attempted was clearly predicted by Charnley over a half century ago. There are just no excuses for this one.
Glad you're doing well, but what an awful story!

May your recovery continue, and hopefully, begin, for all these other poor souls!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Glad you're doing well, but what an awful story!

May your recovery continue, and hopefully, begin, for all these other poor souls!
Yes, the total metal hip is an awful story!

I forgot to add the hyperlink about John Charnley and the artificial hip.

I have added it, but here it is now.

John Charnley's story is a magnificently uplifting story and should encourage tinkers the world over.

He made the first joints implanted in hos own workshop using his own lathe!

Also along the way he made radical improvements to air handling in operating rooms which have drastically reduced operative infections world wide.

John Charnley's contributions are quite astonishing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis